Pulling right under light braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
09 2500 Hemi

I didn’t drive the Ram much over the summer so it wasn’t uncommon for it to be sitting for one or several weeks at a time. One day after sitting for a while I got in and when applying the brakes, it very noticeably pulled to the right. If you get on the brakes hard, the left side gets a good squeeze and it evens out again, but when you first push the pedal it initially always pulls right.

After doing some reading here I thought maybe a guide pin on the left side was keeping it from closing, causing the right to engage first, and the left side not clamping until after pressure is built up. Sure enough, tore it apart last weekend and a guide pin on the left side was very much seized. Spent about an hour getting it apart, and when the rust seemed to be all on the surface and the pin still had a smooth underlying finish, I cleaned everything up and put it back together. Low and behold, still pulls to the right.

One of the pads had worn down more than the other, and talking to my brother he thought that the uneven pads may still cause a similar issue with the timing of the clamping action and they may just need replaced.

The lower of the two still has 50% life left so I don’t want to replace them if it’s not needed, but I can if I need to, just figured I would see if anyone else has any ideas for something else to check first.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds more like a caliper issue than a brake pad issue. Personally, I'd start with exercising the calipers (compress the pistons into their bores, then using the brake pedal, push them back out) and see if they move as they should. If you have some accumulated miles (75k +), I'd also consider doing a full fluid purge/replacement. It's good to do as the hygroscopic nature of brake fluid will draw moisture into the system from ambient air. Fresh fluid and properly moving caliper parts are good places to start.

+ on the brake fluid - if your fluid is looking like tea, great indicator for time to replace. Brake fluid should be near clear when it's free of contamination (typically water and brake line metals cause the discoloration).

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I agree that sounds like a caliper issue , an infrared point and shoot thermometer should help to find a sticking caliper , suppose it could be a brake line as well.