Questions about new 3.0 Standard Output Hurricane Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeFriday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Hurricane SO
Hi all! I am new to this forum. I am embarking on a new truck search to replace my 2018 Ford F150 Lariat w/ 5.0 Coyote V8 engine - which I have generally been very happy with.

However, I have ALWAYS loved the looks and interiors of the Ram Trucks. I was going to get one in 2018, but at the last minute, i goodled 'Ram Engine Issues' as a last measure before pulling the trigger and buying one, and I cam up with a crapton of articles on the Hemi Engine Tick.

I followed that up by going to the Ram dealer, and having him grab 3 random sets of keys and cold starting three RAMS on his lot. They all had this clacketty-clack tick for about 15 seconds, which did disappear after the oil circulated, but it still concerned me, so I bought the F150 instead.

That background said: I was actually kind of excited to see the new Hurricane engine being introduced with all of it's perceived benefits of more hp and torque than the 5.7 hemi.... better fuel economy, etc..... so am researching this the best I can.

It appears that the Jeep Grand Wagoneer has been using this engine since 2022 - and maybe I should join that forum to see the chatter about any issues popping up with the Hurricane - but feel like there should be some sense of how this engine is holding up by now with some miles on it in THAT application.

My main question for you folks, and especially the mechanic skilled amongst you is: Do you see any long term problems with the Hurricane 3.0 twin turbo have an DIRECT INJECTION ONLY fuel supply? In terms of carbon build-up on the backside of the intake valves? This direct drive issue has been legendary problem that over time robs performance, fuel efficiency, and can cause poor engine running.

Both Ford and Toyota use a combination Direct Injection/Port Injection setup, so that the Port Injection washes off deposits and the backs of the Intake Valves. Not sure about GM.... but I am done with those clowns anyway....

I did test drive a 2025 Ram with Standard Output Hurricane 3.0 Twin Turbo 2 days ago...it was a Laramie model.

Holy crap!! it was quiet, smooth running and accelerated like a ***** ape. I mean, it was a rocket from a dead stop..... and on the highway, I punched it (not even fully to the floor) and it jettisoned to 94 mph in a few seconds from 65 mph..... it pulled strong!!

So.... cuirous about the direct injection only setup.... that DOES cause me concerns about long term reliability and expensive maintanance...... cleaning the intake valves is an expensive proposition.

Thanks for your thoughts on this..... I really liked the interior, looks, ride, and perceived engine performance over the Ford F150..... but am a little tentative about jumping in with the Direct Injection only scenario..... not sure if it is anything to worry about or not.

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hi all! I am new to this forum. I am embarking on a new truck search to replace my 2018 Ford F150 Lariat w/ 5.0 Coyote V8 engine - which I have generally been very happy with.

However, I have ALWAYS loved the looks and interiors of the Ram Trucks. I was going to get one in 2018, but at the last minute, i goodled 'Ram Engine Issues' as a last measure before pulling the trigger and buying one, and I cam up with a crapton of articles on the Hemi Engine Tick.

I followed that up by going to the Ram dealer, and having him grab 3 random sets of keys and cold starting three RAMS on his lot. They all had this clacketty-clack tick for about 15 seconds, which did disappear after the oil circulated, but it still concerned me, so I bought the F150 instead.

That background said: I was actually kind of excited to see the new Hurricane engine being introduced with all of it's perceived benefits of more hp and torque than the 5.7 hemi.... better fuel economy, etc..... so am researching this the best I can.

It appears that the Jeep Grand Wagoneer has been using this engine since 2022 - and maybe I should join that forum to see the chatter about any issues popping up with the Hurricane - but feel like there should be some sense of how this engine is holding up by now with some miles on it in THAT application.

My main question for you folks, and especially the mechanic skilled amongst you is: Do you see any long term problems with the Hurricane 3.0 twin turbo have an DIRECT INJECTION ONLY fuel supply? In terms of carbon build-up on the backside of the intake valves? This direct drive issue has been legendary problem that over time robs performance, fuel efficiency, and can cause poor engine running.

Both Ford and Toyota use a combination Direct Injection/Port Injection setup, so that the Port Injection washes off deposits and the backs of the Intake Valves. Not sure about GM.... but I am done with those clowns anyway....

I did test drive a 2025 Ram with Standard Output Hurricane 3.0 Twin Turbo 2 days ago...it was a Laramie model.

Holy crap!! it was quiet, smooth running and accelerated like a ***** ape. I mean, it was a rocket from a dead stop..... and on the highway, I punched it (not even fully to the floor) and it jettisoned to 94 mph in a few seconds from 65 mph..... it pulled strong!!

So.... cuirous about the direct injection only setup.... that DOES cause me concerns about long term reliability and expensive maintanance...... cleaning the intake valves is an expensive proposition.

Thanks for your thoughts on this..... I really liked the interior, looks, ride, and perceived engine performance over the Ford F150..... but am a little tentative about jumping in with the Direct Injection only scenario..... not sure if it is anything to worry about or not.
One thing you didn't mention is what kinds of things are you planning on doing with the truck ! is it going to be a grocery getter, work the hell out of it or a weekend and holiday TT trailer tow vehicle all thing that would make a difference on how engines perform ! same as maintenance and driving habits all need to be taken in to consideration when looking at if there is issues you should be concerned about with the engine ! The way people look after and maintain there vehicle plays a major way a engine survives or doesn't survive ! looking at it from what i have seen as a tech! Just saying and my nickels worth ! the cost of inflation from 2 cents

OP
OP
JoeFriday

JoeFriday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Hurricane SO
I will use it mainly as transportation. However, there are times I will use it to haul some lumber....mulch....or whatever...

I have a John Deere subcompact tractor and implements that I might haul to a family members or friends house...or to the dealer for routine maintenance on an 18 ft flat bed trailer.....this might only be a few times a year.

I drive about 17k miles a year.

I am OCD about routine car maintenance....change my oil/filter like clockwork between 3k and 3500 miles.

I know that turbos require good, clean oil if they are going to go the long haul....

Ramfanski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My 2 friends that have bought Wagoneers are in love with the engine. I wouldn’t worry about it. Every engine is an electronic nightmare. Get a good extended warranty and keep up on the maintenance. Enjoy the new truck. I just wish it sounded like a hemi!

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My wife has a WRX that is direct injected. I think the whole valve deposit thing is overblown a bit. It happens but I don't think its a critical issue that you need walnut blasting every 30k miles. Ours is on a stage 2 tune with 75k miles on it and it still runs great. Port and Direct combo is definitely the best setup, but I wouldn't avoid a direct only setup.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
First I just gotta ask...you were scared off buying a Ram in 2018 after searching on issues with the Hemi, but not scared off buying an F150 5.0 with their cam phaser and timing chain issues? It just seems kind of funny to me is all.

Anywho, I've got an F150 3.5 ecoboost with over 120k miles on the odometer. It still runs very smooth and makes good power. Fuel economy is right where I would expect at about 16 mpg combined. It is a first gen ecoboost so it's direct injection only. And it's never been decarboned. I have also owned several Audi's but have yet to put more than 30k miles on one. I agree with you that it's definitely something that happens. But if you keep up with regular oil changes the carbon build up will be minimized.

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
The move to unleaded fuel really helped this issue. I used to be a police vehicle BMW/Ford tech many years ago, early 90’s and we used to regularly pull heads to ‘decoke’ valves and ports. It was almost a service item on those vehicles. But I don’t have too much experience lately of valve cleaning. We used to strip out the valves, put them in an upright drill and use a blunt chisel to get it off! Sand paper, recut, lap in, job done. Does that even get done now or is it replace?
Those 528 injection straight six BMW engines were also rebuilt by us, in our workshops! Fun stuff. To ‘tune’ those, all you did, as per BMW, ( the cops didn’t care about noises) was to loosen off the valve clearances. The general public didn’t like there high end cars to rattle!
We also ran Jaguars as chase vehicles………..You could call into control, tell them you needed a high speed test and they would make sure the road was safe for you! Great legal fun. Hampshire County Police (UK)

OP
OP
JoeFriday

JoeFriday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Hurricane SO
First I just gotta ask...you were scared off buying a Ram in 2018 after searching on issues with the Hemi, but not scared off buying an F150 5.0 with their cam phaser and timing chain issues? It just seems kind of funny to me is all.

Anywho, I've got an F150 3.5 ecoboost with over 120k miles on the odometer. It still runs very smooth and makes good power. Fuel economy is right where I would expect at about 16 mpg combined. It is a first gen ecoboost so it's direct injection only. And it's never been decarboned. I have also owned several Audi's but have yet to put more than 30k miles on one. I agree with you that it's definitely something that happens. But if you keep up with regular oil changes the carbon build up will be minimized.
Thanks for your input.

Regarding the 5.0 V8 in my Ford F150. They did NOT have cam phaser issues and timing belt issues.....that was the early Gen 3.5 liter Ecoboost.

In 2021, Ford redesigned both the cam phaser and timing chain configuration of the 3.5 Ecoboost, which according to everything I have read has eliminated those issues.

Again....the 5.0 liter didn't suffer those...it was the early 3.5 liter Ecoboosts. I'd have to go back and check the years...but want to say it was an issue with the Gen 1 thru 2021 models of 3.5 engines affected.

Count yourself lucky.

The main issue with 2018-2020 F150 5.0 v8's was excess oil consumption. As I think I noted...I had the tsb performed and it seems to now be within reasonable specs. I am pretty sure I could get 250k miles if I wanted to......but I want a new truck, damn it! Hahaha

I do appreciate your insights on the direct injection only thing....

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks for your input.

Regarding the 5.0 V8 in my Ford F150. They did NOT have cam phaser issues and timing belt issues.....that was the early Gen 3.5 liter Ecoboost.

In 2021, Ford redesigned both the cam phaser and timing chain configuration of the 3.5 Ecoboost, which according to everything I have read has eliminated those issues.

Again....the 5.0 liter didn't suffer those...it was the early 3.5 liter Ecoboosts. I'd have to go back and check the years...but want to say it was an issue with the Gen 1 thru 2021 models of 3.5 engines affected.

Count yourself lucky.

The main issue with 2018-2020 F150 5.0 v8's was excess oil consumption. As I think I noted...I had the tsb performed and it seems to now be within reasonable specs. I am pretty sure I could get 250k miles if I wanted to......but I want a new truck, damn it! Hahaha

I do appreciate your insights on the direct injection only thing....
I haven't owned the 5.0 engine so I have no direct experience with it. I'm aware of the timing chain and phaser issues on the 3.5, but after I bought the F150 I joined a F150 forum. I've read that both the 5.0 and 3.5 engines had timing chain and phaser issues. But it's my first Ford truck so I'm learning things daily about them. Thanks for the info.

Either way, it was just an observation. I wasn't calling you out LOL. Sorry if it seemed I was. :cheers:

OP
OP
JoeFriday

JoeFriday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Hurricane SO
I haven't owned the 5.0 engine so I have no direct experience with it. I'm aware of the timing chain and phaser issues on the 3.5, but after I bought the F150 I joined a F150 forum. I've read that both the 5.0 and 3.5 engines had timing chain and phaser issues. But it's my first Ford truck so I'm learning things daily about them. Thanks for the info.

Either way, it was just an observation. I wasn't calling you out LOL. Sorry if it seemed I was. :cheers:
No problem.... I never read that in the forums about the 5.0..... I have never experienced it. I did have a service manager friend tell me that the 5.0 did have some sort of 'guide' issue... cannot remember if it was a chain 'guide' or is there something called a valve guide? lol.... I don't recall....

Anyway..... Ford did start doing the plasma arc liners in the 2018 5.0 Coyote engine.... lucky me! A lot of mechanic types in the forum say this Plasma Arc coating is what causes the excess oil consumption in that engine..... something about the Plasma arc liner being so hard and smooth that the rings don't seat and wear in like a cast iron liner.... I couldn't tell you if that is a real thing or not, but has much speculation by the mechanics in the forum.

The 2.7 and 3.5 use traditional cast iron liners.... and they don't seem to have the widespread oil consumption issues the 2018 + Coyote 5.0V8 has. Although.... *supposedly* the tsb fixed this.... I am not so sure.

So.... the new Hurricane 3.0 also uses the same type Plasma Arc liners.... which makes me curious if they will consume excess oil as well.... if that is even a cause. Nobody knows yet.

I guess I shouldn't let the Direct Injection thing worry me.... thinking about it; our 2024 Kia Telluride SX Prestige has a 'direct injection' only engine.... and I didn't worry about that! lol.... I am probably being too OCD about this.....

l gotta say, if first impressions translate into long term reliability; this is one sweet new engine! You cannot believe the power! The turbos had no perceptible lag at all and talk about torque! Whoa mamma! Super quiet too....

I test drove a Toyota Tundra Platinum iForce Max truck today..... 437 hp and 587 ft lbs of torque. Although these numbers are better than the new Hurricane 3.0 Standard Output, the actual responsiveness and performance seemed better to me in the new RAM with the Hurricane. Seriously!!

I have some hard decisions to make. Love my F150 overall, but cannot get that new RAM out of my head!!!!

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
No problem.... I never read that in the forums about the 5.0..... I have never experienced it. I did have a service manager friend tell me that the 5.0 did have some sort of 'guide' issue... cannot remember if it was a chain 'guide' or is there something called a valve guide? lol.... I don't recall....

Anyway..... Ford did start doing the plasma arc liners in the 2018 5.0 Coyote engine.... lucky me! A lot of mechanic types in the forum say this Plasma Arc coating is what causes the excess oil consumption in that engine..... something about the Plasma arc liner being so hard and smooth that the rings don't seat and wear in like a cast iron liner.... I couldn't tell you if that is a real thing or not, but has much speculation by the mechanics in the forum.

The 2.7 and 3.5 use traditional cast iron liners.... and they don't seem to have the widespread oil consumption issues the 2018 + Coyote 5.0V8 has. Although.... *supposedly* the tsb fixed this.... I am not so sure.

So.... the new Hurricane 3.0 also uses the same type Plasma Arc liners.... which makes me curious if they will consume excess oil as well.... if that is even a cause. Nobody knows yet.

I guess I shouldn't let the Direct Injection thing worry me.... thinking about it; our 2024 Kia Telluride SX Prestige has a 'direct injection' only engine.... and I didn't worry about that! lol.... I am probably being too OCD about this.....

l gotta say, if first impressions translate into long term reliability; this is one sweet new engine! You cannot believe the power! The turbos had no perceptible lag at all and talk about torque! Whoa mamma! Super quiet too....

I test drove a Toyota Tundra Platinum iForce Max truck today..... 437 hp and 587 ft lbs of torque. Although these numbers are better than the new Hurricane 3.0 Standard Output, the actual responsiveness and performance seemed better to me in the new RAM with the Hurricane. Seriously!!

I have some hard decisions to make. Love my F150 overall, but cannot get that new RAM out of my head!!!!
Yeah that's the problem. Every car maker has their own common issues. It's better to pay less attention to that and go with the truck you like best. It's been Ram for me since 2015. Now with the changes in the 2025's I'm not sure. Having owned a 6 cylinder twin turbo engine I know they are capable. And they seem to have a fair bit of longevity. But I definitely like the sound of a healthy V8 engine. And for me it's big part of the driving experience as well. Good thing we're set as far as trucks go for a few years, with the 2020 Limited and the 2015 F150. I definitely plan to buy a "forever" truck before they stop making them with internal combustion engines though. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get that TRX now while I still can LOL. Who needs a retirement account? :D

OP
OP
JoeFriday

JoeFriday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Hurricane SO
Can you give me a sense of how your 2020 Limited is working out? How many miles do you have on it now..... any issues pop up? How is the electrical, hardware, etc holding up? How are the leather seats feeling and holding up after a few years in the saddle? Appreciate your insights....

I didn't mention, but that Toyota Platinum I drove today had 'piped in' fake engine noise. It was loud, and very annoying fluttery bad attempt at trying to simulate a V8..... I can't understand why they would purposely make a truck loud in the interior under throttle. I mean, I guess I get it - they are trying to win over the old V8 guys.... but a really poor and annoying implementation.

I will say, my 5.0 V8 under heavy throttle sounds pretty impressive, but in a 'real' way. I am sure the Hemi sounds amazing too when you put the beans to it.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
There are actually 2 forms of Hemi tick you have to watch out for, exhaust and lifters. Exhaust is from cast iron manifolds on aluminum heads. Eventually the manifolds can warp and can break the manifold studs in the head. If you want to prevent this, install headers, either shorty or long tube. Second type is lifter tick. Supposedly around 2018 they switch lifter suppliers so in theory you won't have any issues with a newer engine. Prevention includes a good oil with lots of moly or adding lubegard to a good oil thats low on moly, shorter OCI, and limit idling. I had a 2018 1500 Sport I just sold last summer as I bought a camper that was too heavy for the truck. I installed Kooks shorties on it. Truck never had any issues in 60K miles. Oh there is also a transmission heater you can remove or bypass if you dont like 200 degree transmission temps.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Can you give me a sense of how your 2020 Limited is working out? How many miles do you have on it now..... any issues pop up? How is the electrical, hardware, etc holding up? How are the leather seats feeling and holding up after a few years in the saddle? Appreciate your insights....

I didn't mention, but that Toyota Platinum I drove today had 'piped in' fake engine noise. It was loud, and very annoying fluttery bad attempt at trying to simulate a V8..... I can't understand why they would purposely make a truck loud in the interior under throttle. I mean, I guess I get it - they are trying to win over the old V8 guys.... but a really poor and annoying implementation.

I will say, my 5.0 V8 under heavy throttle sounds pretty impressive, but in a 'real' way. I am sure the Hemi sounds amazing too when you put the beans to it.
Sure, glad to give some details. It's not driven a lot so the mileage is pretty low for a four year old truck. It's sitting at about 17k miles. The only issues we've had is the rear window frame issue. Cracks in the window frame allowed water to pour down the rear cab wall which took out the RF hub. No other electrical issues, and other than the rear window issue this truck has been fantastic. The leather surfaces have held up well and the cab still smells new inside.

Yeah I've heard about the fake V8 sounds on those. That totally turned me away from them LOL. I upgraded the muffler on our Ram and it sounds great IMO.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My wife has a 2022 limited with the 5.7 hemi. I have a 2019 2500 with the 6.4 hemi. My wife used to have a 2015 and a 2021 durango...both with the 5.7 hemi. Her truck now has definitely been the smoothest engine of the 4 hemis we have had. It has 10,000 miles only, but is a very smooth engine. Her 2021 durango had a scary sounding rattle from the engine every now and then...got rid of it because it only had 3000 miles of power train left and I know my luck...it would blow up shortly after warranty expired. Traded it for the truck she has now. It was used with 3500 miles when we got it and was.like brand new. I like the hemi, but the lifter/cam issues scare me. Mileage kinda sucks compared to other V8 engines. I don't care about the sound an engine makes. I would definitely give the hurricane a shot if we were looking at a different vehicle. I just want decent power, mileage and reliability...don't care what kind, size, type of engine it comes from.