SCT X4 Tuner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Taylo1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know the choice of tuners around here is Diablo, so I am just asking if anyone has tried or know anything about this SCT X4 Tuner? I have searched and could not find anything on it.

bahndrvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
BMW - Searching for Ram
Owned both, SCT is a superior product, the thing is most of the tunes on here are custom from dealers that primarily tune with Diablo equip....

When I get back in a truck, will go with who is the best tuner, and choose whatever they are running....

I do hands down prefer SCT due to customer support, and faster working as well as being tough as nails... Updates faster as well....

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Sct doesn't offer any form of transmission support on the hemi Rams which is its biggest downfall. This is why everyone is going faster with Diablo on the newer Rams.

OP
OP
Taylo1

Taylo1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sct doesn't offer any form of transmission support on the hemi Rams which is its biggest downfall. This is why everyone is going faster with Diablo on the newer Rams.

Hey Matt,

Is there any tuning offered for the 8 speeds?

Kevin

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
No trans tuning (as far as setting shift points), but there are quite a few tq management adjustments that are showing nice gains.

OP
OP
Taylo1

Taylo1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ask the question because this is what they are claiming with the tuner: This SCT X4 tuner / programmer arrives with 3 pre-loaded dyno proven tune files - With a 87, 91 and 93 gas octane tunes for gains of 34 rear wheel horsepower and 42 torque increase for your 2011 to 2014 Dodge RAM 1500 with the 5.7 engine.
And:
The SCT X4 can also hold up to ten custom tunes in addition to the three preloaded tunes it already comes with, so you can always add a custom tune later if you want!

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am running the SCT X4 and there are several torque management settings, I LOVE the way my truck shifts now compared to stock. I am also not running a canned tune. They do not offer trans tuning at this time but are looking into it from what I recall. As far as going "faster" between Diablo and SCT is actually very debatable considering VERY FEW people are even running an SCT compared to 1000s of Diablo owners. I am working on getting my wideband installed this week and then after the tuning is done and I hit the track, I will let you how I do, especially compared to Diablo.

Just the torque management, desensitizing knock sensors 14% and reducing the COT fueling, I was able to outrun a 2014 Charger R/T all the way up to 55-115mph until he finally passed me slowly. We haven't even touched the timing on WOT and have had no fueling tweaks, (waiting on Wide band). I do say that is pretty impressive considering what those cars trap in the 1/4 compared to our trucks stock. His car just had a nice exhaust and that's it basically im sure.

Spend the money on what you want. Finding a competent tuner is the biggest ordeal, not which handheld you should go with.

Last edited:

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, that's why there's nothing wrong with the SCT

Not sure how great it is on rams, but the FORD guys love them and seen huge gains on the Ecoboost F-150.

SCT is great. I understand why more people have Diablos because of the item that it is being marketed under i.e. Hemifever or Greene Racing but it's not the only handheld of choice. I really can't wait to start dipping into real tuning with a wideband and see what kind of power difference there is. So far I'm impressed with the tiny adjustments so far.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
SCT has done great things for the Fords, but I just haven't seen much in the way of Hemi tuning. That was all I was getting at before. When you look at the top Hemi tuners in the world, both trucks and cars, you will find that nearly all of them prefer Diablo over the other tuning platforms. That doesn't mean SCT is a bad product, but if I'm buying a tuner for my vehicle, I would rather run what the more experienced tuners for that platform prefer.

Hemifever and I have actually tested the SCT unit on my personal 2011 crew cab, and the lack of trans tuning made it a no brainer...the Diablo tune was always quicker. Now on an 8sp where nobody offers trans tuning, the SCT would be a closer comparison. Diablo does have a much better datalogger and also allows you to correct for tire size. last I checked, SCT was not able to correct for larger/shorter tires.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
SCT has done great things for the Fords, but I just haven't seen much in the way of Hemi tuning. That was all I was getting at before. When you look at the top Hemi tuners in the world, both trucks and cars, you will find that nearly all of them prefer Diablo over the other tuning platforms. That doesn't mean SCT is a bad product, but if I'm buying a tuner for my vehicle, I would rather run what the more experienced tuners for that platform prefer.

Hemifever and I have actually tested the SCT unit on my personal 2011 crew cab, and the lack of trans tuning made it a no brainer...the Diablo tune was always quicker. Now on an 8sp where nobody offers trans tuning, the SCT would be a closer comparison. Diablo does have a much better datalogger and also allows you to correct for tire size. last I checked, SCT was not able to correct for larger/shorter tires.

Diablo has the edge since it's been doing it longer. That's a given. I don't think anyone can deny that. Yeah that got that market squared away trying to be a monopoly but competition is good

But once more people start using SCT and HP tuners on dodges things will change.

I'm still not a huge fan of mail order tunes when it comes to really nailing down vehicle. So that's why I'm glad HP tuners has provided support since I know 3-4 people that use it.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
You are right. Once HP and SCT get a little more involved and add some of the features that Diablo has had for a while now, it should be a closer comparison. As it sits right now, Diablo gets my vote by far though. Competition is a great thing, and it may even get Diablo to step their game up a bit and add more tables to help dial in the tuning even further.

Now, I have nothing against email tunes on these trucks though because they are so difficult to run on the dyno. They always try to downshift, or run through 2nd prime, and there are numerous 6 speeds that have even lost 4th gear on the dyno because 4th gear is just too weak to hold the power that some of the heavily modified guys are putting down. Tuning on the street, or on the track, via Diablo's datalogger has proven to be very effective. You get true load, can avoid going into 4th gear, and for those of us that prep to race, it is a more accurate way to dial in the truck in race form (no air filter, no exhaust, setting proper shift points based on gear and shorter height drag radials, etc...) I don't think anyone expected us to see a N/A 5.7 Ram pushing the brink of an 11.99 pass, but I can almost guarantee you we will hit that mark in the next month or 2 (I'm going to try again this coming Friday). The track datalogs and email tuning has done very well to this point.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The guy who is tuning my truck has tons and tons of experience on SCT. The one thing he doesn't like about SCT is some updates cause issues but otherwise it has every table you need to do the job right and make just as much power. I don't plan on dynoing my truck because of my 3.21s. Since he doesn't have Diablo and is also working with HPTuners, I highly doubt he will ever pick up on Diablo lol.

greychevy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Now, I have nothing against email tunes on these trucks though because they are so difficult to run on the dyno. They always try to downshift, or run through 2nd prime, and there are numerous 6 speeds that have even lost 4th gear on the dyno because 4th gear is just too weak to hold the power that some of the heavily modified guys are putting down. Tuning on the street, or on the track, via Diablo's datalogger has proven to be very effective. You get true load, can avoid going into 4th gear, and for those of us that prep to race, it is a more accurate way to dial in the truck in race form (no air filter, no exhaust, setting proper shift points based on gear and shorter height drag radials, etc...)

This is very true, these trucks are really hard to dyno. I dyno'd mine twice....once bone stock and once fully bolted. Both times we had to do a ton of pulls to get a halfway decent pull....****** wants to downshift everytime.