Service 4wd light, traction control light on and won’t run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B4DR4M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I had my truck recently in the shop for these same issues and I also had to have the win module replaced as well as a new key fob reprogrammed. I’ve used Alfa obd for the reprogramming. Truck ran like a champ with no issues but as soon as I try to go start my truck it’ll still have the service 4wd light on, traction control light on, the lightning bolt for the throttle body and it’s causing the truck to constantly crank but will not run. Anyone ran into anything similar or have a idea of exactly what should I narrow this down to? Gets frustrating when you worry about if your truck will start the next go around.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So I had my truck recently in the shop for these same issues and I also had to have the win module replaced as well as a new key fob reprogrammed. I’ve used Alfa obd for the reprogramming. Truck ran like a champ with no issues but as soon as I try to go start my truck it’ll still have the service 4wd light on, traction control light on, the lightning bolt for the throttle body and it’s causing the truck to constantly crank but will not run. Anyone ran into anything similar or have a idea of exactly what should I narrow this down to? Gets frustrating when you worry about if your truck will start the next go around.
When the warning lamps are on have you had a scan tool connected to the truck to see if any DTC's have been set in any modules? That would be my first step.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Believe it or not, the Traction Control & the ABS are tied together

It could be that the ABS Sensor(s) are bad, they are fairly cost friendly

watch this video

OP
OP
B4DR4M

B4DR4M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When the warning lamps are on have you had a scan tool connected to the truck to see if any DTC's have been set in any modules? That would be my first step.
I have. The codes that come up are p2112, p0688, p2101, p0513 as well as a u0401

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You computer always reads those stored codes, maybe certain conditions control whether or not it affects the operation of the Ram ?

OP
OP
B4DR4M

B4DR4M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You computer always reads those stored codes, maybe certain conditions control whether or not it affects the operation of the Ram ?
It’s a possibility. I also swapped computers yesterday to run a test and it still did the same thing. But also from what I was reading the p0688 also comes from the auto shutdown relay which is causing it to not run

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I believe that if you look at the Body Builders site for your year vehicle, 2012 Dodge Ram & older, there is a wiring section.

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/yearold.pdf

This Body Builder's Guide is a PDF based web site with embedded links from one PDF to another. Newer HTML 5 based web browsers do not work with embedded links. In order to navigate this Guide, YOU MUST USE MS INTERNET EXPLORER 11 OR OLDER as your web browser and have Adobe Reader loaded. Other browsers such as MS Edge (Modern Version of IE 11), Firefox, Chrome and Apple Safari will not work. If you are using Windows 10, IE 11 is loaded on your machine. To open IE 11 go to the START menu. (click on the lower left corner of the screen) Scroll down to the W's and find the heading for WINDOWS ACCESSORIES and expand it. From there, select INTERNET EXPLORER. If you wish, you can pin EXPLORER to your taskbar.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B4DR4M

B4DR4M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe that if you look at the Body Builders site for your year vehicle, 2012 Dodge Ram & older, there is a wiring section.

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/yearold.pdf

This Body Builder's Guide is a PDF based web site with embedded links from one PDF to another. Newer HTML 5 based web browsers do not work with embedded links. In order to navigate this Guide, YOU MUST USE MS INTERNET EXPLORER 11 OR OLDER as your web browser and have Adobe Reader loaded. Other browsers such as MS Edge (Modern Version of IE 11), Firefox, Chrome and Apple Safari will not work. If you are using Windows 10, IE 11 is loaded on your machine. To open IE 11 go to the START menu. (click on the lower left corner of the screen) Scroll down to the W's and find the heading for WINDOWS ACCESSORIES and expand it. From there, select INTERNET EXPLORER. If you wish, you can pin EXPLORER to your taskbar.
Awesome thanks for that. I’m going to run a test and see if I can by pass the asd relay. If it runs then I know I’ll need to back track it. As well as going to check the pcm relay.

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have almost the same problem when i come back to Costa Rica and the truck was unused for 6-9 months.
I had a small battery charger attached and at least this year the transmission dont make troubles but i have same as you
sometimes truck cranks and start on first turn
sometimes i need 3-5 turns
sometimes 20-30 turns till engine cranks
1° when ECU 4WD control module works then engine cranks fine, so the battery is not the issue
2° bolt symbol is on
3° Check 4WD System is on
4° Red dot LED for antitheft is on
5° Volage meter rise very slow to less than center up position, when engine is running votage meter is all up
When engine finally fires up: traction control systemis always on, running or not

As the votage meter is low i guess that either ECu or 4wd control is not getting enough voltage and antitheft is not unlocked

Unfortunately my ODBLink LX is not showing any trouble codes and my old Innova reader is dead

OP may swap the battery just to check/ exclude if the problem is tha battery

Chris

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
CostaRam

watch this video, it sounds like from your description, that you may need a WIN Module

You typed

This guy forgets to tell you that you have to pay for programming the part & the cost of the part is very $$$

&

This guy has maybe an easier fix

OP
OP
B4DR4M

B4DR4M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CostaRam

watch this video, it sounds like from your description, that you may need a WIN Module

You typed

This guy forgets to tell you that you have to pay for programming the part & the cost of the part is very $$$

&

This guy has maybe an easier fix

If you have alfaobd you can program it yourself. That’s what I did with mine

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
CostaRam

Thanks GTyankee,
i was already on that conclusion, but i dont't connect the low voltage and all the other problems not related to the key.
Also, the problem goes usually away after i use the truck for a few weeks.
The other trouble i usually had is that tranny get stuck i 1° gear and then after a weeks of driving in 1° gear without doing anything else all turns normal.
For this reason i guess that there is a problem with one of the ECU modules or the power supply to it.
That would explain why the problem dissapears after some weeks driving me nuts.

However i will check the videos and see if i can do a test before i buy a new WIM module and program/have it programmed.

Thanks so much!

Chris