Service 4wd, traction control light and truck won’t run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B4DR4M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have a 2012 ram 1500 with the 4.7. I was able to drive my truck once this morning, no issues. When I went to get my truck ready to take the wife to work, the truck started then died and wouldn’t start back up again. On the dash I have service 4wd and the traction light. I also have codes p2112, p2101 and p0688. What could be the issue to why my truck isn’t want to run? And what would be the best starting point? We also had snow here in east Texas so not sure if that also has a factor with it as well

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Best starting point is check your battery terminals if they're good get your battery tested. Things go on the fritz if they don't have correct voltages.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B4DR4M

B4DR4M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Best starting point is check your battery terminals if they're good get your battery tested. Things go on the fritz if they don't have correct voltages.

I’ll definitely start there. I have sufficient power to engage the starter and try to crank the engine.

OP
OP
B4DR4M

B4DR4M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Also one thing I have noticed it sometimes my voltage will be 14.8 while running and other times will be 14.3

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Yeah that's the cheapest place to start. Sometimes the battwry doesn't have enough oomf to power the starter and the pcm.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Also one thing I have noticed it sometimes my voltage will be 14.8 while running and other times will be 14.3
That depends on load or its trying to keep the battery up as it doesn't have the amperage to maintain possibly. I don't know about these trucks but if it's like gm the voltage will be high till the running lights are turned on or its put into drive and then it'll drop down to 13.9-14.2

OP
OP
B4DR4M

B4DR4M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That depends on load or its trying to keep the battery up as it doesn't have the amperage to maintain possibly. I don't know about these trucks but if it's like gm the voltage will be high till the running lights are turned on or its put into drive and then it'll drop down to 13.9-14.2

Usually when I notice it it’s typically when it idles up. I despise how the voltage regulator is designed on the first series of the 4th gens

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Battery probably. Pull it and have it load tested.

Today's vehicles are very sensitive to battery voltage and amperage. You may have enough to crank it, but that doesn't mean its good.

I had some similar issues years ago. The battery was bad.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Have you looked up the codes to see what they mean? Usually they will point you in the direction of the issue. When a bunch are clustered together and have "open circuit" in them it is usually a wiring harness issue, when they mention low voltage or low sensor reading it is usually a battery / cable / ground issue, etc. Looking up all the codes and then looking for similarities in them is the best troubleshooting method.

I have seen it a number of times on this forum where someone will have a bunch of codes and unload the parts cannon on the truck and it is still not fixed. Ended up being something basic like a wiring harness disconnected or bad battery.

The handheld "load testers" as most parts stores only load the battery with 50 - 100 amps. That is not enough to see what voltage the system is experiencing during cranking. The battery will test "good" and then folks start on the parts cannon. Good for the parts store but bad for you. The initial surge can be 500 - 1000 amps and sustained cranking can be 250 - 500 amps.

Last edited: