Sled deck with two snowmobiles on a 2024 Power Wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoelocal

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on the best truck for carrying a Tune Outdoors M1 camper (less than 800lbs) in the summer and then a Marlon Sled Deck with 2 snowmobiles in the winter. I'm looking at the PW as the best option with its factory offroad features for getting the family out to remote spots with the camper in the summer. The only thing I'm concerned about is the payload capacity - looks like it's in the 1300-1500lb range and the sled deck with two sleds will be just under 1300lbs.

Any concerns with running it in the winter right around its payload limit? I would get airbags to help balance it out.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On paper you may exceed the rated payload capacity of a PW. Somebody will probably make a post of how it will explode, kill a bus full of nuns, and you will get life in prison if you try to do it...... Regardless of that I believe that the PW is quite capable of doing this. As you mentioned something like airbags in the back may be needed, or at least help, with the weight. There is very little difference between a PW and a regular 2500 besides for the softer springs of the PW. You are not talking about that much weight either. I know that 1,300 lbs. tongue weight from a trailer is no big issue, and tongue weight has a lot of leverage because it's hanging way back from the axle. 1,300 lbs. centered in the bad shouldn't be nearly as bad.
Again, if towing and hauling is the primary purpose for the truck than a PW isn't the best option. But if the off-road ability is high on the list and you just need it to haul relatively small loads than no problem at all.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think you are going to need to look at a non-PW truck, and more likely a 3500 to feel more confident with that much payload. The difference between my 1500 and PW was huge in towing my toy hauler, but it squats 4 to 5 inches with a little over 1000 lb tongue weight.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you are going to need to look at a non-PW truck, and more likely a 3500 to feel more confident with that much payload. The difference between my 1500 and PW was huge in towing my toy hauler, but it squats 4 to 5 inches with a little over 1000 lb tongue weight.
Not saying it does not do that, but surprised. According to my WeighSafe hitch that has a built in scale, I've had 1,300 lbs. tongue weight on mine with just a couple inches of squat, which I consider just normal. Took about 1,700 lbs. tongue weight to get 4-5" of squat.
1,300 lbs. for the snowmobiles would be more or less centered over the rear wheels and nowhere close to 1,300 lbs. tongue weight that is cantilevered 4' from the rear axle.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm with @62Blazer on this one. My brother has a PW as his work truck and he swapped a flatbed with toolboxes and a small air compressor that is already putting several hundred lbs to his payload. Then we put a loaded gooseneck on it with probly a couple thousand lb tongue weight several times a year, so "technically" way overloaded. One day his aftermarket bags were leaking so he rode bump stops for 10 miles but normally with the backup bags functioning it pulls great.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Somebody will probably make a post of how it will explode, kill a bus full of nuns, and you will get life in prison if you try to do it......
well it's on the Internets so it must be true.. lol

The lower payload of the PowerWagon is in part due to the softer springs for better axle articulation.
Could always add a set of airbags with Daystar cradles to deal with the sag from the weight of the sleds.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
PW will be just fine. Air bags don't add payload but they do level the loaded pickup out. I would have zero concerns doing what you are planning to do with it. Just be aware the the PW or any other 2500 or 3500 is going to be top heavy loaded this way. Side angles and fast corners are not your friend. We went to towing sleds on trailers with independent walking beam suspension, one enclosed, one open, with 18" wheels on a Ram 8 bolt pattern, that track in the vehicles tire tracks. It transports way better both on and off road. The two trailers combined cost was about the same as the deck. Easier to load and unload too and the covered trailer is way more secure if we need to stay in hotels while travelling or riding.

Last edited:

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Not saying it does not do that, but surprised. According to my WeighSafe hitch that has a built in scale, I've had 1,300 lbs. tongue weight on mine with just a couple inches of squat, which I consider just normal. Took about 1,700 lbs. tongue weight to get 4-5" of squat.
1,300 lbs. for the snowmobiles would be more or less centered over the rear wheels and nowhere close to 1,300 lbs. tongue weight that is cantilevered 4' from the rear axle.
I've never weighed it, but the dry tongue weight listed was somewhere around 1000 to 1100 lbs. Probably add propane and batteries to that. It was a rough measurement at the hitch just trying to see the effect of how it was loaded (empty, SxS, WDH). Loading up the SxS raised it an inch or so from what I recall. I have airbags now to help level it out.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I think the area you will have to carefully consider is the center of gravity (CG). The sled decks put the weight of the deck and sleds up pretty high. Higher CG + softer springs does not seem like a good combination. Throw in some rough road with less than ideal traction and it seems like a rather tippy proposal. Here the wider axle / tire combo of a dually would likely produce greater stability. Lastly, it looks like about 1/4 of the sled deck hangs past the rear of the bed with the rear of the sled hanging an additional few inches past the deck. Looks like the weight of the sleds may end up a bit behind the rear axle which does not help the with the lower payload situation of the PW. It is your truck and sleds so it is your call. Pack plenty of clean underwear as you may soil a pair or two.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Just my 2 cents but I think with the sleds up that high it might be a little spooky pws don’t like a high centre of gravity at least mine doesn’t. The closer you get to max payload the scarier it gets. I’ve added about 500 lbs to my truck but it’s down low under the frame still counts as weight though. A leaf sprung 2500 would be better imho

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
With airbags, you’ll be real happy with the way the truck handles the load. You won’t be legal, but you’ll never be weighed by a cop or road scale. On the other hand, if your rear end is sagging, you could be stopped. So do the airbags and don’t give it a second thought.

OP
OP
T

tahoelocal

Reaction score
The reason I want a PW is to get out to remote spots here in the Sierras in the summer with the camper and the fam. PW seems like it’d be great for that.

The sled deck is 7’ and would stick out a foot at most I think. And the snowmobiles are very front heavy and light in the rear, so most of the weight should be right on top of the rear tires. I’d be towing 1 snowmobile 90% of the time which would put the payload at 900lbs. 2 would be an exception. I put studded snow tires on in the winter. They manage the kind of snow and ice we get here really well. But it sounds I’ll still need to be careful with the top heaviness having 2 on.

Do airbags and cradles affect the PW’s offroad capabilities?

Airmousam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Sell the sled deck and a get a 2 position enclosed...can't even feel mine on my 21 PW and your sleds will stay way cleaner..ya, I know you cover em, but the cover still chafes at speed, and salt and **** still flies everywhere underneath..been there more than a few times....I also pull a 4 position enclosed quite a bit and she does great with that too, but rips thru fuel...have fun!

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Having owned a PW, No way I would put that sled on there with that much weight. It's going to be over payload (or very close) and with that high center of gravity drive like a marshmallow, probably to the point of being dangerous. I would seriously consider a trailer of some sort if you are stuck on a PW

DRam2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One thing to consider is how capable will the pw be being at close to payload (camper, you wife and kids plus food and water) it isn’t going to wheel into remote spots with all that weight as well as it would with just a couple passengers.

Airmousam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My buddy had a sled deck on I believe his 18 PW...Aside from being a massive PITA, and filthy sleds, it drove just fine at speed, cornering etc...no issues at all. I'll admit having 2 sleds on a deck looks freaking bad ass, but being old now I cringe when they blow past me at 90 and watching their covers buffet in the unobstructed "breeze" lol. I still have one spot on my 17 Assualt I haven't been able to quite buff out...battle scar...all good

Airmousam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've not really seen any payload issues in the several PWs I've been in..Its usually the non PW guys who make it seem like you go 4 lbs over payload...chassis is on the ground , woman and children are screaming, wife leaves you takes the dog...You write a country song about the good times....the way it is it seems....I drove a Tradesman the day I bought my PW...Nice truck, but if had dentures I would have needed new ones...Ride was not close...Only time I can say, is when I had WAY too much crushed stone in the bed last year..very short ride and suspension never bottomed out and no ill effects....

Eatstone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 2500 6.4l with factory air in the back. No issues with my Marlon 7’ deck and 2 Sled’s on the deck. Way better than the 2 place trailer I used to use. Now I have better traction in the mountains with the weight over the rear axle. Another bonus is we can get into tight areas you would never dream of with a trailer.

Just added a sxs rack to my deck so I can pull my 30’ TT this summer. It’s mostly fine except for the dished sections of highway and the side to side rock can make my butt pucker at 65mph. I’m going to add outboard airbags and daystar cradles to help tame it.

Attachments

• IMG_1274.jpeg
    IMG_1274.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4022.jpeg
    IMG_4022.jpeg
    258.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2985.jpeg
    IMG_2985.jpeg
    263 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2926.jpeg
    IMG_2926.jpeg