So far very disappointed in Leer (truck caps)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I spent $3,000 on a new Leer truck cap on my new 2018 Ram. Generally speaking, it's a nice cap, but there are some pretty bad quality control issues with the one I have, that shocked me, and I was wondering if anybody else has had these issues.

There are at least two spots of paint defects, and one defect in the fiberglass. Albeit they are small, I'm shocked they made it through any kind of quality control.

They fastened the window frames on all the windows in the cap using some kind of sheet metal screw. They screwed some of them in so far it kinked the aluminum window frames, and it looks junky. Making that worse, they apparently drilled holes or fastened screws in the wrong spots, and instead of using a new window frame, they just patched it up, so I have these sloppy looking patch work spots on my window frames. They left loose ends for the screen material they used for the vent windows, so there is just loose screen material outside of the window frames. Just shocks me I spent $3,000 on a brand new cap with all these options, from a reputable company, and they let things like this make out on a finished product.

The housing area for the latch on the rear window takes on water, such that when I open it after it rains it just all drains out all over my tailgate.

MAKING MATTERS WORSE, I tried to contact Leer, and there is ZERO way to call or email them. So, I had to speak to the dealer I got it from, and they told me Leer does that on purpose, they want you going through your dealer to address warranty issues, and don't want anybody contacting them. Now I have to drive 30 mins there and back to drop it off, 1 hour round trip, where they said they have to send it back and it will be with Leer for something like a month, then I have to go back another 1 hour round trip to pick it up. The whole thing has just left a nasty taste in my mouth.

Anybody have similar experiences? I thought I was spending extra money to get a cap from one of the best manufacturers.

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First of all 3k, wow. I got a new one just 8 months ago it was only $2300. I got removable front window, sliding sides windows with screens, remote rear lock, carpeted headliner.

Mine has been flawless. I was thankfull for the extra screen material. Made it alot easier to put the screens back in after I took them out to tint the windows darker.

The rear door will hold a small amount of water and run down the tailgate, but would rather that then have it run down the inside.

Fiberglass and paint quality are near perfect on mine.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Give it back to them and get another brand. If you bought it on a credit card is there a way to get your money back? Years ago they wanted to send mine back to the factory to fix a leaking window and they said it could be up to 10-12 weeks. I told them to stick it and had someone locally fix the problem. Next topper was a Snug Top. Leer is suppose to be a top shelf cap, you shouldn't have to put up with that crap-----especially for the price you paid.
Jay

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
By me, leer is not known as top shelf product. ARB is known as top quality.

valvestem

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My suggestion is to stop payment on the check you wrote to pay for it. If you used a CC, file a complaint with the CC company and ask to have the charges removed.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
you should be banned for no pics

lol jk pictures only help your arguement and let us all eyeball what it is you talking bout!