Sporadic signal to coil cylinder 5 misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KryslerKid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Howdy, new hemi-owner with 2012 1500 sport, 200k. Have a misfire and cylinder 5. Has all new plugs and coils. I already swapped coils and plugs and injectors. While checking pulse to coil with test light, other cylinders had steady blink blink blink blink. Cylinder 5 had blink dim-blink, blink dim-blink. Are these trucks known for having PCM issues not sending a steady pulse to coils? Or possibly a ground? My next step is to remove valve cover but for some reason I feel this is electrical. Any help appreciated, thanks!

zachmckinney98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Check to make sure your connectors are on all the way, wires are in connectro and nkt broke, and the clips aren't broke.
Or it could be... the cam with a flat spot. My dad's truck had that issue. Cylinder 6 misfire. Turned out to be the cam got a flat spot worn in it from bad rollers.
That year hemi is known for it. And that many miles wouldn't doubt it.

OP
OP
K

KryslerKid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
At first when I got the truck there was p300 and p305, also a p0058. I fixed the broken wire on the downstream sensor and that corrected that code. Codes have been cleared and now the only code popping up is p 0305. I just idled the truck after clearing codes for seven or eight minutes and shut it off, checked the codes and nothing was triggered. I drove a few blocks keeping it no higher than 12 or 1300 RPM driving it mellow and no codes triggered. I drove it again a few blocks stepping on it and the p305 code is showing. It almost seems to be an intermittent misfire. Also when idling without triggering code, I upped rpms around 2K and it triggered again. Then started it a couple more times and just let it idle and I noticed that the code cleared itself and wasn't there when I checked again. Strange

HarryS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
swap coils with another cylinder and see if the code moves.