Starting after 15+ tries.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CheddarBob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been dealing with my 2008 Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L not starting correctly. Like the title says, I have to sit and turn the key over and over again (only get one turn out of it and its not the sound like with a dead battery) and then after what seems like forever it starts right up and runs with no issues once its running. I figured the starter was going bad so I bought a new one and replaced it. Still the exact same problem. I am bringing my multimeter home with me today to check the battery but I have a feeling that probably isn't it. Has anyone else had this issue with their truck and any ideas what to try next. Not a rich man where I can just take my truck into the shop and also enjoy fixing these things on my own.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
A bad solenoid, the key isn't being properly recognized by the switch (bad key battery), bad switch, or the battery has good volts but bad amps, get it tested with a carbon pile tester.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been dealing with my 2008 Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L not starting correctly. Like the title says, I have to sit and turn the key over and over again (only get one turn out of it and its not the sound like with a dead battery) and then after what seems like forever it starts right up and runs with no issues once its running. I figured the starter was going bad so I bought a new one and replaced it. Still the exact same problem. I am bringing my multimeter home with me today to check the battery but I have a feeling that probably isn't it. Has anyone else had this issue with their truck and any ideas what to try next. Not a rich man where I can just take my truck into the shop and also enjoy fixing these things on my own.

Take a pair of jumper cables NEG battery TO the side of the body of the starter. If it fires up every signle time you have a ground problem have had this before on a few rams.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
CHECK FUEL PRESSURE!! IS IT A SPEC, when tested the proper way?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanfam