Stellantis Snags Rivian’s Manufacturing Head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Brilliant.

IIRC, Rivian recently went toes up. Yea some entity bought Rivian's carcass. (Dummies)

Stellantis continues EV push, in spite of consumer push back.

Quickest way for me to shop for vehicles elsewhere, try to push their EVs on me. Disrespecting customers.

Next someone will post government mandating...

Personally, I don't give two xxxxs about government mandates.

91rt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Talk about all your eggs in one basket.....it'd be one thing if they had multiple things going like ford and were pushing this, but they have nothing to fall back on if electrification doesn't and most likely wont pan out. They will have nothing else to sell unless they uncrate the classic and hemi molds hah!

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The world isn't yet ready for the electric vehicle revolution. Maybe within the next 50 years or so ....... Maybe!

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This the result of Carlos Tavares' one-size-fits-all approach to automobile manufacturing, which highlights his inability to understand the differences in the world market. He fails to recognize that it is mostly his own meddling that has caused his North American component to see a drop in market share.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 118251 miles.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
according to several financial websites, they (Rivian) are losing about 38,000$ per vehicle. no business the rest of us owned would last long in that kind of scenario.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
It is a shame, because I don't like EV's, but if all gas vehicles were gone today and we had to get an EV. Rivian would be what I would pick hands down. The quality of their builds and their functionality. They are by far the easiest to drive EV I have had to drive. Rivian very much reminds me of Dodge or Jeep with their interiors. Very outdoors feel. Good quality pleather. This could be a win for them.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
according to several financial websites, they (Rivian) are losing about 38,000$ per vehicle. no business the rest of us owned would last long in that kind of scenario.

That's pretty normal for a resource intensive start up of their size and no investor expected them to be profitable out of the gate. Cash burn up front is expected, as you have to build out facilities, pay salaries, buy materials, market, absorb R&D costs, etc. before your first widget roles off the line. Then in accounting you show per unit profit, and since you have such a hole to start with and don't make many widgets up front, your books will show a massive loss per widget. Even existing companies will lose money on a new product up front until per unit profit chews through all the up front costs.

Imagine you start a restaurant. You rent a building, you hire a cleaning crew, you order ingredients, you pay for business licenses, take out radio advertisements, etc. You aren't going to recoup all that money in the first day of operations, even if each meal is profitable *on it's own counting just the labor and material costs for that individual meal*, you're still in the hole until you recoup all those initial costs. Now multiply that over developing new technology, building manufacturing facilities, a dealer network, thousands of employees, etc.

That's where Rivian is. If they ever get out of that point or not before investors sour on it, I've no idea, but they have about 10 years of cash and cash equivalents on hand at their current loss rate. They have time.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
If Amazon didn't throw them a lifeline, and buy their vans, they'd likely be toast.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I have only seen one up close in my area, a white one. didnt look too bad to me except I dont care for the front end. looks like Amazon and Ford are the largest stakeholders.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
It is a shame, because I don't like EV's, but if all gas vehicles were gone today and we had to get an EV. Rivian would be what I would pick hands down. The quality of their builds and their functionality. They are by far the easiest to drive EV I have had to drive. Rivian very much reminds me of Dodge or Jeep with their interiors. Very outdoors feel. Good quality pleather. This could be a win for them.
if all gas vehicles were to be gone, I would probably convert mine to propane and keep them till they quit. I grew up in west Texas where many ranchers had propane tanks in their trucks.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I have only seen one up close in my area, a white one. didnt look too bad to me except I dont care for the front end. looks like Amazon and Ford are the largest stakeholders.
Yeah Amazon is using them for their delivery trucks. I wonder how they are actually doing on a day to day basis.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
If Amazon didn't throw them a lifeline, and buy their vans, they'd likely be toast.

They have cash on hand for 4 years of operation at their current cash burn rate.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

I saw one at Big Bend Nat'l Park on one of the unmaintained road areas. I'm not sure where they were charging it, but for light off road stuff it seemed to be doing just fine. *IF* I were going to buy an EV truck, Rivian would be one of the only two I would consider (F-150 being the other), but that's a hypothetical that's unlikely to be a reality. I'll be in my PW for a long time to come.

khocke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If they had to poach someone with electric vehicle ‘creds’, couldn’t Stellantis at least get someone from an electric vehicle company that’s making a profit? Oh, wait…