System Information on Uconnect 8.4 is blank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am seeing a blank screen on Sys Info location so I have no way to see what my current version of firmware is on my radio, everything seems to work as it should but I am concerned I wont be able to update NAV maps, also tried updating to 18.45.01 because that's what the Uconnect Website says I need after I put in my VIN. Downloaded and saved all 5 files to root of the USB and followed directions, doesn't work. Can't seem to soft reboot either, tried upper right corner of screen and nothing (held 2 minutes), also tried volume and browse button, still nothing, same amount of time. Also left hot + cold simultaneously doesn't get me into another hidden menu to do a soft reset. Last night I removed positive and negative battery cable and crossed for 20 minutes per dealer to drain capacitors in radio and do a hard reset, everything came back exactly the same way, all working but nothing in System Information.

Dealer wants $150 to "look" at it, from reading the forums I don't see that as a viable solution. I just purchased the truck used 8 days ago.

DSCN0812.JPG

OP
OP
Daniel Zukowski
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Kinda good news, I was playing with the buttons and got into Dealer Mode by pushing the far left and far right icons at the bottom of the touch screen for 5 seconds. There I found my software version listed as 18.20.37. How do I get to 18.45.01 from here, is it possible? While I was in there i backed up my user data to a USB stick just in case I lose anything. Weird thing is I cannot find any information anywhere about 18.20.37....ugh.

VIDEO BELOW

upload_2020-3-17_17-38-49.png upload_2020-3-17_17-39-25.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daniel Zukowski
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here is the video for anyone that wants to help me upgrade, I want to be up to 18.45.01 if it's possible. I see no mention of this version anywhere on the web.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daniel Zukowski
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Basically I create a USB stick for 18.45.01 and try to run the firmware upgrade via USB, it doesn't fire off the update, all 5 files are on the root of the USB stick, instead it just looks for music media. My test to confirm USB was working was to add 1 file of music onto the USB stick, it played fine.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
If you are on v18.20.x and don't have GPS/time sync bug & are without any problems...

I wouldn't worry about an update to v18.45.01. just sit tight until the next higher version.

(Chance are you got an OTA update to v18.x with the GPS fix and there isn't an upgrade path to go incrementally higher ie 18.45.01 at the moment)

M² Mods.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Basically I create a USB stick for 18.45.01 and try to run the firmware upgrade via USB, it doesn't fire off the update, all 5 files are on the root of the USB stick, instead it just looks for music media. My test to confirm USB was working was to add 1 file of music onto the USB stick, it played fine.
The radio you are trying to update to 18:45:01 is Not a RA4. It's a Panasonic UAQ from a 18 to 19 Ram. It's not updating because it's not the correct firmware for the radio. It's an upgrade that many people do to gain Apple Car Play and Android Auto. I put one in my 14 as well but pulled it back out because I didn't like it. The UAQ has communication issues with the 13 and 14 trucks. You need to run a module so your heated/vented seats will display correctly on the screen and the icons will appear on the top of the screen like they are supposed to plus the turn by turn directions in the speedometer screen don't work correctly and some of the XM radio stations don't display correctly either. I'm only mentioning all of these other issues they have in case you notice them and wonder why its happening. If the heated/vented seats icons and soft keys show up correctly on you screen that means that the previous owner also installed the module but it doesn't correct the other issues.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The radio you are trying to update to 18:45:01 is Not a RA4. It's a Panasonic UAQ from a 18 to 19 Ram. It's not updating because it's not the correct firmware for the radio. It's an upgrade that many people do to gain Apple Car Play and Android Auto. I put one in my 14 as well but pulled it back out because I didn't like it. The UAQ has communication issues with the 13 and 14 trucks. You need to run a module so your heated/vented seats will display correctly on the screen and the icons will appear on the top of the screen like they are supposed to plus the turn by turn directions in the speedometer screen don't work correctly and some of the XM radio stations don't display correctly either. I'm only mentioning all of these other issues they have in case you notice them and wonder why its happening. If the heated/vented seats icons and soft keys show up correctly on you screen that means that the previous owner also installed the module but it doesn't correct the other issues.

I thought that's what he had, but wasn't 100% sure so I didn't post anything thinking you would be the one to know for sure....

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yes I posted that but he said I was wrong.

@op did you buy this truck used?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I posted that but he said I was wrong.

@op did you buy this truck used?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I just read his original post. He bought the truck 8 days before he posted. It's funny I was just talking to STecoD and we were discussing this very issue. If I ever sell my truck I'm most likely going to put a note in the owners manual explaining all of the upgrades that I have done. The owners manual will most likely always stay with the truck and that's where most new owners will look to learn about the trucks features. We will probably start seeing 2nd owners posting questions confused about their trucks more and more as they end up in the secondary market. Can you imagine the confusion when a new owner takes my Express or your truck ir any of the other trucks that have had tons of upgrades added to the dealer and they flash updates in the truck and then all the options like push button start heated/vented seats ect stop working and the dealer has no idea why or how to fix it?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just read his original post. He bought the truck 8 days before he posted. It's funny I was just talking to STecoD and we were discussing this very issue. If I ever sell my truck I'm most likely going to put a note in the owners manual explaining all of the upgrades that I have done. The owners manual will most likely always stay with the truck and that's where most new owners will look to learn about the trucks features. We will probably start seeing 2nd owners posting questions confused about their trucks more and more as they end up in the secondary market. Can you imagine the confusion when a new owner takes my Express or your truck ir any of the other trucks that have had tons of upgrades added to the dealer and they flash updates in the truck and then all the options like push button start heated/vented seats ect stop working and the dealer has no idea why or how to fix it?

I went from RA3 to RA4 in mine, so there wouldnt be much confusion if I ever decide to sell my truck.

I do find it kinda funny, though, that there are used trucks on the market with the UAx upgrade already installed :)

OP
OP
Daniel Zukowski
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Everything seems to work as it should, I purchased the truck used at a Honda dealer here in NY. Is it possible the radio was installed as a replacement under original warranty? I was told the owner was an older gentleman which seems right, the truck is in pristine condition and I've seen no real customization's, radio info shows properly in all aspects. Like i said, new to this and only a little more than 8 days out as a RAM owner, my previous vehicle was a Chrysler Aspen with 205K on the odometer.

DSCN0759.JPG

OP
OP
Daniel Zukowski
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just looking I found this information regarding the Panasonic UAQ but I do not have any of these issues, I just find it strange that I have no issues and everything works exactly as it should.

Known Issues

Radio Soft Keys for the Heated/Vented Seats and Heated Wheel will not work on 2013 and 2014 trucks (They will be on the screen but will be grayed out).

Radio Soft Keys for the Heated/Vented Seats will be missing on trucks that added factory heated/vented seats.

Settings menu may not reflect correct setting options on 2013 trucks.

Backup Camera button may be missing on 2016 and 2017 trucks. (Camera will work when in reverse, button on radio is missing).

There is no way to factory reset a radio.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everything seems to work as it should, I purchased the truck used at a Honda dealer here in NY. Is it possible the radio was installed as a replacement under original warranty? I was told the owner was an older gentleman which seems right, the truck is in pristine condition and I've seen no real customization's, radio info shows properly in all aspects. Like i said, new to this and only a little more than 8 days out as a RAM owner, my previous vehicle was a Chrysler Aspen with 205K on the odometer.

View attachment 198791
I seriously doubt any dealer would replace the RA4 radio with a UAQ radio. Dealers are clueless when it comes to these upgrades and don't even think its possible for the UAQ to work in the 13 to 17 trucks. If you can physically go into your controls screen on your radio and the heated and vented seats are present and not grayed out and actually work the person who did the swap also installed the module between the trucks radio harness and the radio itself in order for them to function. You're truck most likely has some of the other issues and missing settings but since you aren't familiar with what it should look like it looks normal to you but of course I there can be exceptions to the rule. This is a pic of the controls screen on a UAQ. If these work on your truck the 13 to 14 UAQ conversion module has been installed.41eb35553949031c02760952e7d9d7fe.jpg

OP
OP
Daniel Zukowski
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Now I am frustrated, is it a bad thing that my radio was upgraded to this radio? Can you give me any hints as to what settings are missing and what doesn't work even if the module was installed? How do I do NAV map updates on this radio? Where do I find future firmware for this radio, I assume it won't be OTA?

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now I am frustrated, is it a bad thing that my radio was upgraded to this radio? Can you give me any hints as to what settings are missing and what doesn't work even if the module was installed? How do I do NAV map updates on this radio?
It depends. Some guys love them because they are Apple Car Play and Android Auto capable. There is really no advantage to them other than that in my opinion. I have an android phone so my RA4 radio voice texts with no issues with the RA4 and I didn't like the way the Android Auto worked. The I phones cannot voice text unless they are connected to Apple Car Play which the RA4 is not capable of. Because if this aot of I phone guys like them. I took mine out for several reasons. The sound quality wasn't nearly as good as my RA4 and I didn't care for the look of the screen and all the other little quirks that the 13 and 14 trucks have. . The RA4 has 7 different screen themes to chose from. The UAQ has 4. My truck had communication issues with the UAQ plus my SD card would not work in the media hub and I like to use the SD card to play my music. If your truck was upgraded to the UAQ your media hub was most likely replaced with a different one so the Car Play/Android Auto will work. I will say I'm in the minority. A lot if guys have put in the UAQ radios. I just personally don't like them and like the way my phone voice texts with the RA4 better than it did connected to Android Auto with the UAQ. As far as the map updates go I believe they are updated differently in the UAQ and it's basically included in any firmware updates they may have. This is a picture of the media hub your truck came with that's in your console under the lid. Yours has most likely been changed. If it hasn't the Car Play and Android Auto won't work. The UAQ is expensive so you definitely didn't get ripped off and as I stated most guys will tell you the UAQ is the way to go. Give it a try and try the Car Play or Android Auto and see if you like it. If you don't you can easily put a RA4 back in the truck. 80b875ab6d967e5711a67f17bacdc172.jpg

OP
OP
Daniel Zukowski
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep, mine has been changed, I have USB on top and Aux under it. No SD reader but that doesn't concern me so much as long as my Bluetooth works.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, mine has been changed, I have USB on top and Aux under it. No SD reader but that doesn't concern me so much as long as my Bluetooth works.
Then try it for a while and see how you like it. Your radio is worth around $800 to $900 dollars depending on who wants it. You can pick up a RA4 for around $500 so long story short if someone offers to trade you for an RA4 it's not a good idea. As I said earlier there are a lot of guys who would love to upgrade to the UAQ like you and would say you are lucky you bought a truck with it completely by chance. Who ever upgraded it probably paid around $1500 to $1700 for the radio,media hub,media hub conversion harness and the 13/14 Ram interface module.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great, any idea how the Panasonic UAQ get their updates?
There is a thread dedicated to the UAS/UAQ upgrade but for some reason I can paste the link when I'm on.Tap Talk for some reason. They have links to firmware updates for the UAS/UAQ radios on the thread. Obviously you can no longer just go to the Uconnect website and type in your Vin# to get any updates. Best rule of thumb with the UAQ radios is if it's working fine leave it alone. They don't update as easily as the RA3/RA4 radios. I have seen cases where people have lost their Nav after trying to update plus other issues. Two of the main problems with the UAQ are extremely poor sound quality and the voice command reverting to full volume every time it's used. If your radio has neither of these issues and works ok it's best to leave it alone. To check you voice command give the radio a command such as changing temp or stations. If it's full volume turn it down while she is responding and the use it again. If it reverts to full volume you may want to update it.