Tail light doesn't work, changed out still does t work 22 ram big horn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liRam22fl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
hello I tried to change out my bulb and they left driver side tail light still doesn't work does anyone have any suggestions. 22 ram big horn

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Have you checked your fuses for the tail light?

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I lost all tail ligts on my previous truck once, and it turned out to be a broken ground (that truck was quite a bit older though)

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hello I tried to change out my bulb and they left driver side tail light still doesn't work does anyone have any suggestions. 22 ram big horn
The lights on new vehicles are not directly controlled by the switch, anymore. Instead, the turning on of the headlight switch sends signals to the Body Control Module (BCM). Inside the module are microprocessors that do the actual deed of providing current to the different lights.

I just worked on a 2016 F150 last week with a similar issue, but with the right low beam not working. The problem turned out to be a problem in the CAN/BUS communications due to someone disconnecting the fog light harness. This had caused skewed CAN/BUS data to be scrambled and set DTC's in the trailer module, Steering Column Control Module, the Rear light Module, The Electronic Steering Module, and several other modules for U-codes due to circuit monitoring by the BCM.

I realize that Ram and Ford may have different specific strategies, I took the time to look at the schematic of your truck, and it is nearly identical to the F150 which I worked on.

Without a good scanner, I would have been flummoxed. The owner of the F150 had replaced the headlight bulb in an attempt to fix it, just like you replaced your tail light bulb.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Have you checked your fuses for the tail light?

There are no fuses for the lights, they are all controlled by the BCM (have been for many years).

OP, do you have a multi-meter to confirm there is no voltage at the socket? Visually inspect the wires and if all else fails try the dealer (assuming you are still under warranty)

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
There are no fuses for the lights, they are all controlled by the BCM (have been for many years).

OP, do you have a multi-meter to confirm there is no voltage at the socket? Visually inspect the wires and if all else fails try the dealer (assuming you are still under warranty)

Didn't realize that....just made an assumption. I even looked at my fuse box under the hood and yup, no fuses for any lighting.