Tailgate stiff, hanging up, hard to close.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thought I would put this out there in case anyone else was having the issue. I didn't see anything immediately when searching.

2019 5th Gen tailgate was getting stiff and slow to open. Been using it a lot this summer and it got to the point I would unlatch it and have to pull it open and it would only open 1/2 way before it stopped. I would have to push it down to open and use some force to lift and shut it. Figured it was the strut behind the driver side tail light. Ordered a new one and NOPE, not the problem. That drivers side hinge wears out and needs replaced.

It wore out so gradually over time, I didn't realize how bad it got until I replaced it. Now I'm slamming it because I got used to using force. 2 bolts, 10 minutes. There's actually a new part number. The parts guy said they replace more of them than you'd think.