Transmission fluid and filter recommendation / sanity check - 2012 hemi 6 speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

_happy_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello, I want to change the transmission fluid in my 2012 Ram 1500 with the 6 speed. It has about 52k miles.

Can someone please:

Recommend a fluid and quantity?
Recommend filter? (Metal threads?)
What gasket silicone do I use?

Would be great to buy this in a store in the US. I'm in NC.

Is there anything else that has to be done other than other than:
-drain pan (some)
-drop pan and clean / wipe out / clean mating surfaces
-apply gasket silicone
-change filter
-install pan / bolts
-fill with fluid

Thanks

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
synthetic filters for sump I only recommend OEM with purple vent.

best metal adapter

Permatex Automatic Transmission RTV Silicone Gasket Maker​

It takes 14 quarts but your method without fluid exchanger will take 8 quarts max, I really like redline c+ for the rfe, it is very compatible with the 6 quarts you will have in lines and torque converter. Only 52k miles I'd do it this way, if it was over 100k miles I would do two step drop pan and put back, you lose 8 quarts when you hook it up to exchanger so instead of 14 quarts it would be 22 quarts then all the fluid is clean and new filters. I just wouldn't worry about that yet if fluid has decent color on stick. Get 8 quarts redline c+ or any atf4, this is what it takes for drop pan let drain for hours and button up. You want to leave pan empty overnight as gasket maker dries, then you fill on morning.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Here is instructions on that gasket maker...

1. For best results, clean and dry all surfaces with a residue-free solvent, such as Permatex Brake and Parts Cleaner. 2. Cut nozzle to desired bead – gaskets are best formed using a 1/16″ to 1/4″ (2 to 6 mm) bead. 3. Apply a continuous and even bead of silicone to one surface; surround all bolt holes. Assemble parts immediately. Finger tighten bolts until material begins to squeeze out around flange. Allow to cure for one hour then retighten 1/4 to 1/2 turn. 4. For best results, allow to cure overnight. 5. Replace cap after use. Clean hands with dry cloth or Permatex Fast Orange Hand Cleaner. Clean tools with non-flammable cleaning fluid. NOTE: Not recommended for use on head gaskets or parts in contact with gasoline.