Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sblack33741

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar ETorque
Hey guys!

Okay guys, I’m afraid the dreaded day is approaching soon and I need some advice. Just for some background, my ‘17 Crew Cab 1500 had some collapsed lifters in the original engine at ~315,000 miles, and I had a brand new long block installed by Dodge, along with servicing a few things except for the transmission. The truck was/is a workhorse, and there really weren’t any symptoms or issues with shifting, no noises, no vibrations, perfect shifting and rpm’s while driving under and all conditions.

At some point, I am pretty sure it was after the engine swap, but could have been prior (not sure if it’s relevant), the truck started running a bit warm under load; Both the engine oil, and transmission temps were higher than I was used to… Fast forward to several weeks ago and I found a little drip, coming from an unusual spot- from the front bumper! Turns out, the OEM radiator failed… at around 380,000 miles… Fast forward a bit more, to a few days after the radiator was replaced, when an all too familiar sound presented itself- it was the water pump.

Now, if you recall, I had a BRAND NEW engine installed in Sept. ‘23 and they put the old water pump and thermostat in…. How do you guys feel about that? As a note: When they pulled the old block, and were prepping to drop the new one, I told them that I wanted to replace anything and everything that it would make sense to replace while the engine was out - while being conscious of my limited budget. I decided to get the 4x4 system serviced (which came with a 3 year unlimited mile warranty) as well as the fuel system serviced, also with a 3 yr unlimited warranty ( as does the block)… if I had known that the water pump was not part of a brand new long block, then I would have surely paid $200 for a new water pump, as it would have been $0 in extra labor. They also left the old t-stat and failed to recognize/replace the worn and slightly dry rotted serpentine belt.

Needless to say, the oil and trans temps are both still getting up there, while under load ( and trans temp runs high pretty regularly, by ~10 degrees F) The oil temp goes from 1/2 position on temp gauge under normal operating conditions and creeps up to 3/4 on the gauge, but not at or above 3/4, at “heavy” load. The transmission temp which used to be 1/2 position consistently ( if I remember correctly, even under load) and now normally operates at 5/8, and under “heavy” load, creeps up to about 2/3… sorry if that’s confusing, I’ll specify temps if anyone wants.

Which brings me to the real issue at hand… I have a not so familiar vibration, and it appears to be related to the transmission. First of all, on a cold start, after a minute or so of idling, when I first start to accelerate in Drive, first to second gear “thumps” a bit if I give it too much gas. The other fairly recent symptom, or so I believe, is when driving for extended periods, let’s say coming off the highway on an off ramp, one of lower gear shifts produces a “thump” as well. This transmission now has 409,000 miles on it, and as far as I know has never been serviced.

I bought the truck with 40k miles in the earlier part of 2020. Since then, besides the basic stuff and common issues with vehicles, first of all- it has been absolutely amazing to me and for me, and has never left me stranded for something unreasonable or not due to my negligence, I have done the following “mods”:
  • new engine replacement
  • radiator & water pump
  • Front hubs replaced
  • Front struts, rear shocks and coils.
  • High flow catalytic converters

Also, in addition to the suspension work, I got new tires recently, a set of Maxxis Rzr's, in case it may bear some relevance in the vibrations I am getting at high speeds… well, that’s up until recently… it appears to be vibrating as though I’m driving on a rough road…. And seems to get worse during shifting… where I feel a vibration.

My question is… do I simply service the transmission (it’s the 8 speed) and take a chance on it needing to be rebuilt? do I buy a used one (around $1000 bucks after shipping)? Do I buy a remanufactured one for $2,500-$3,500? Unfortunately, I think getting it done at the dealer this time around is in the cards for me, so that’s not an option, but when I talked with a dealer some time back, they suggested it could be in the $9,000 range for parts and labor for a new transmission. So again, not going to happen.

Financially speaking, I’m leaning toward servicing the transmission, and possibly upgrading the pan/filter for a bigger sump and better cooling fins and metal filter… or something like that… and crossing my fingers these symptoms go away. I’m not sure if I want to do the service myself, or have my mechanic do it, as I have a feeling it may be a waste of time given the symptoms… ALSO- there is oily residue on the bottom, back side of the transmission pan, but no signs of leakage according to the dealer and mechanic. Granted the dealer told me this, now 91,000 miles ago roughly, when I had the new block dropped.

What are your guys’ tboughts? Thanks!
If you have 409k on a transmission and you have not serviced or changed the fluid, that is amazing. I agree that taking I to a good shop for a 2nd opinion is a good idea, but it making that long on original fluid is a miracle.

OP
OP
gwuhesos

gwuhesos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I just got back from the 2nd mechanic that I brought my truck to on a small break from the road... I have been driving myself a bit crazy with scenarios, and what it could be... and what I will have to do... Here's what's developed... First mechanic didn't check the transmission as he wasn't equipped for it, but checked driveshaft, axles, etc... and found them all in good working order. On the passenger side front tire however, he claimed the hub bearing was the cause, because it was making a sound as it was free turning. I had the front hubs done a while back, and they are under warranty, to today, I brought the truck to that mechanic, with which I had the warranty, and after holding the truck all day, and not looking at it (you know I drove by mid-day to see if they started working on it - and they hadn't) but at the end of the day, they called, and told me...... it's internal issue in the transmission. Hubs are fine, driveshaft and axles are fine. So, CRAP. Now, it's time to hunt for a decent transmission. Maybe I'll start a go fund me for a rebuilt one - as of right now, can barely afford a used one + labor. Anyway... this is the update for anyone interested. Will post another update when I can. Prices range from what I can tell... I have my eye on one on eBay... and a few others floating around, but hoping to figure something out for a warranty of some sort so I am not completely screwed a few miles down the road... Wish me luck. Any leads, or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

OP
OP
gwuhesos

gwuhesos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have 409k on a transmission and you have not serviced or changed the fluid, that is amazing. I agree that taking I to a good shop for a 2nd opinion is a good idea, but it making that long on original fluid is a miracle.
Agreed. Foolish on my part for not servicing it, or paying it ANY mind all these miles. Grateful for how it has treated me and will certainly think twice next time around. True testament to the reliability of this transmission. Not sure if others with the same feel like I do.

OP
OP
gwuhesos

gwuhesos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With that mileage, If you don't want a full service, and it may not be a great idea, I would suggest if you have a spot to do it, I would check oil level, You have to have the trans in gear running, with the transmission case level and warm , rear of truck up in the air, it would cost nothing to check level of the oil, other then some time.
If it was getting low, that could raise the temp I would think. Check the rad/ condenser condition
I have never done one, just what I read, I know old Honda's they say if hi mileage and still OK , don't mess with it.
BTW I have 80km, about 50,000 miles on my 2014, so you have a bit more.
I presume you have the 8 speed in 1500 That must be a good one, PS not changing a old water pump is really stupid on the dealer.
I just might do that. But will likely wait until I have a replacement transmission on hand before I mess with it. It is the 8-speed transmission. Dealer is covering the labor for what I spent to have the new water pump put in! It took some fighting with them, but they gave in. Yes, I would say I have a few more miles on 'er.

OP
OP
gwuhesos

gwuhesos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dodge hasn't had a transmission cooler in the rad for years .The transmission cooler is in the top part of the A/C condensor.To replace the transmission cooler,means you're also replacing the A/C condensor
Oh wow! I was not aware of that. I wonder if they inspected it ( I would imagine they did) when I had the A/C system serviced when I swapped the engine... Although their negligence with the water pump and serpentine belt may not have allowed for it...

OP
OP
gwuhesos

gwuhesos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd do a filter/fluid change at a minimum as soon as time allows. Are you having any trans related codes?

I had a trans pump start to fail about 175K mi. Although it would tow like crap, it still drove fine for a year without towing. I only fixed it because we had inspections at the time and they wouldn't pass me with a SESL on. I think it was a P04 code... They replaced the torque converter at the same time and it's been great since (but I don't tow anymore so IDK what part that played into failure.) 203K mi.
I am thinking about it, but believe it would be wise of me to have a backup transmission on standby in case it fails after I mess with it. No codes... as far as I could tell... Would I need something other than the OBD scanner? No check engine light.

OP
OP
gwuhesos

gwuhesos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any clutch is technically sacrificial. Even one on a manual transmission.

Every time a clutch is engaged on a shift, you are going to lose a tiny bit of friction material. Ram-rodding and towing will accelerate the process. Eventually the miles add up.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 111390 miles.
From the sounds of it, I got my money out of it... Absolutely no one believes what this truck has been put through what it has and has lasted as long as it has. It's still kicking, but not sure for how much longer. Transmission will be on order as soon as I figure out the best plan of action for me. The miles have certainly added up for me, grateful for how the truck has treated me, even to this day.

OP
OP
gwuhesos

gwuhesos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 8 speed must have thick clutch’s in it. Torque converters have a clutch that can wear out. And it can slip causing temp’s to rise. My 1500 has the 545rfe and the transmission guy that did mine at 300,000 miles ,said the clutch’s were gone. And I hardly tow & I maintenance it . (Filters & 7q fluid every 30,000 miles. As for the dealer putting the old t-stat in a new block. I would never go back. As that t-stat could blow the new block & they (dealer) would not warranty it. Also if that radiator had a cooler for the trans . They probably didn’t top off the trans after replacing it .(rad). Buying a used trans isn’t bad if you can see the truck & mileage of truck it came from.
They did an A/C service, and from what I have heard, the trans cooler is top portion of the A/C condenser... so I would hope that was in tip-top shape when it left the dealership. (minus the waterpump and thermostat) The donor truck looks to be okay - nothing that would worry me about the trans... but it does have 100K miles on (the number one contender as of right now) still weighing my options.

OP
OP
gwuhesos

gwuhesos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never serviced the transmission. Wow statement
First off the thump could be a U joint. The heating could be a clogged filter in the transmission. I have never heard of anyone not servicing there transmission before.
I know. I have apologized profusely to my truck. U joints, axles, etc. are all good to go. No one could believe I have gone all these miles without a single trans service. But it has, and now I am where I am. Can't go back unfortunately. Pretty lucky and fortunate if you ask me, all things considered.

OP
OP
gwuhesos

gwuhesos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, you may have these mentioned issues along with your transmission if you haven't performed maintenance at the required mileage intervals and to service your transmission may not be worth the time and money along with the other possible causes mentioned.

... maintenance is crucial for longevity ...

It seems to me, imho, the lack of maintenance is costing you more in the long run ... think about the $ you would saved by spending a little $ on simple routine maintenance.
Well, to be fair, the new transmission install (labor) is going to cost me about $100 more than what a service would cost at a local shop. And about $500 less than what the dealer was trying to charge for service. You are right about the maintenance part, but I have always been very uneasy about transmissions and messing with them while they display no symptoms. I know, that's not logical, and I am not trying to justify my lack of maintenance... Just putting a frame of reference around my thinking. Again, very grateful to how the truck has treated me, and hope to keep it running for 1,000,000 miles plus.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AKJeeper