what year 4.7s are compatible

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
most likely going to need to change the motor in my truck, its an 03 1500 with 4.7, im just curious if other year 4.7s will fit, such as an 05 4.7?

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Up to the 05 or early 06's should be R+R. Mid 06 to late 07 will need the computer and wireing harness. Not sure if the 08 to early 09's are exactly the same as the 06 to 07 except for the air intake and the 08-09's are drive by wire. From mid 09 on you may have to change electronics and harness out. If you are gonna do a motor swap go with a Hemi. Cost may be the same to do a swap, just a bit more for the hemi motor.

chipdogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Up to the 05 or early 06's should be R+R. Mid 06 to late 07 will need the computer and wireing harness. Not sure if the 08 to early 09's are exactly the same as the 06 to 07 except for the air intake and the 08-09's are drive by wire. From mid 09 on you may have to change electronics and harness out. If you are gonna do a motor swap go with a Hemi. Cost may be the same to do a swap, just a bit more for the hemi motor.

Does the hemi swap right in? I have a 2004 Hemi that was tipped on its side this morning and will likely be totalled. Found a 2003 with a blown 4.7L in it, wondering what would all be involved to do the swap? Engine obviously, but hopefully she drops right in without doing harness, trans, etc. Both are 4x4 quad cabs with trailer package...

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i would love to swap a 5.7 in mine, i got the 4.7, id only imagine if you were lucky enough that the harnesses would work, youd still have to swap the computer....if that worked as well

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Too swap from the 4.7 to the hemi is a bit intensive if done right. Engine obviously, Harness also. Possibly tipm. Radiator is also something that will need changing out. Motor mounts also. There may be more but I went from a 4.7 to the V10 so not sure just what is compatable between the hemi and the 4.7.

ercmesser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need to start by looking to see if you have an EGR valve on the driver side head. I have an 03 4.7 without An EGR and they tell me that only an 4.7 without will work. Also look and see how many plugs you have in to the computer. If you only have three than you have an 16 tooth motor not an 32, so only 02 and below will work. As far as the Hemi swap everything motor and trans wise will need to be swapped hard but fun to do.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need to start by looking to see if you have an EGR valve on the driver side head. I have an 03 4.7 without An EGR and they tell me that only an 4.7 without will work. Also look and see how many plugs you have in to the computer. If you only have three than you have an 16 tooth motor not an 32, so only 02 and below will work. As far as the Hemi swap everything motor and trans wise will need to be swapped hard but fun to do.

All motor swaps are only as hard as you make them. Get a friend or 2 after you have all the needed parts, and make a weekend out of it. :signs1: