Which LED headlamps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peter Albert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
Hi y'all,

My 2017 1500 SLT 3.6L is a workhorse truck. In just 2 1/2 years I've put on 162,000 miles delivering big machine parts all over the southwest US coming out of Los Angeles. For safety, I drive with my lighting ON all of the time, night and day. Consequently, I've had to replace my headlights about 5 times in that 2 1/2 years. I've got the replacement procedure down pat, and I can do both sides in about 45 minutes without removing the grill. I have been using the Sylvania H11B SilverStar Ultra Halogen Headlight for the low beams, and the Sylvania 9005 SilverStar Ultra Halogen Headlight for the high beams.

Even though I can do it quickly, I'm sick and tired of doing it, and spending big bucks for those halogen lamps. I want to switch to LED's all the way around, including tail lights and turn signals. (I do not have fog lights on this truck.) I've been looking at LED websites, but they just confuse me more. I am looking for LED's that will last a long, long time compared to the Sylvania lamps, I'd like them to be brighter, relatively easy to install and will not cause error codes with the computer or electrical system. What are your recommendations and why?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peter Albert

Peter Albert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
I ended up ordering the Fahren (brand) H11 and 9005 LED lamps. I saw something that said "it is possible that some vehicles may require additional wiring to prevent flickering or error codes." Have any of you out there who have purchased the Fahren LED's had any issues requiring you to do something extra?

Also, in one of the other threads on the forum discussing LED headlights, another member suggested and praised the Heise brand of LED lamps. One problem. Their website clearly states that their products are for off-road use only, and are not legal for on-road driving. Beware before ordering if you are looking for on-road replacement lighting. I could not find any Heise H11 or 9005 LED lamps designed for on-road driving.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L SRT8 HEMI
In my experience that disclaimer is just for them to cover their A#@. I had no issues with my 2012 1500 however I did have to install resistors for the signal lamps to prevent error codes but only on the signal lamps.

OP
OP
Peter Albert

Peter Albert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
I agree. I was told that they put that disclaimer on the website because any "replacement" LED lamps from any manufacturer are not legal for driving on roads. ONLY factory installed LED front head lamps have DOT approval. So, yeah, they're just CYA.

I'm happy with the Fahren's. Far better illumination for dark country roads, and very few people have flashed their lights at me thinking I am using high beams. If more oncoming cars were doing that, I'd have to rethink the situation. But so far so good.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I've read on this site, the flickering issue tends to be with later model trucks - 2013 on up. I didn't have any issues with them in my '09. I've heard it has to do with the can-bus system in the later models, apparently it wasn't much of an issue in the early 4th gens. And yes, either replace the tails with LED tails with the resistors built in, or you'll need resistors to deal with the error codes/hyper flashing.

Also, you may need to "clock" the LED bulbs in the headlight. The first set I put in didn't look good at all and didn't show any better than the halogens. Come to find out, you need to rotate the LED "bulb" so that the LEDs fire 6 and 9 or left and right as much as possible. Might also need to aim the headlights after this.

Johnny_B-Good

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2010 1500 Laramie - Quad headlights. Added Lasfit H11 low beams (direct fit - plug and play - no fiddling seating the bulb). 2000 lumens per bulb, 6000k crisp white, fanless. These bulbs light up the roadway nicely. And if you got your lights adjusted properly, you ain't getting flashed by everyone. Went with Nineo fanless 9005 LED's (direct fit - plug and play) for the high beams. 6500K bright white. 5000 lumens per bulb. I don't believe these bulbs are 10,000 lumens as stated on Amazon. But all in all, do a nice job sitting in the high beams reflectors. Haven't installed these as yet (as I want to make sure these fog housings will still adjust before putting new bulbs in them - IE replacement fog housings if needed) I grabbed a cheap old set of Sealight 9145 LED bulbs (20 bucks for the set). Lumens are like 2400 per bulb (or there abouts). I haven't had the urge to try any Beamtech or Sealight products. So I'm giving it a try. Worst comes to worst, if these fail to wow, they'll get used in some goofy project down the road.

The low and high beams went in with zero issues. Seated properly, no fiddling around with clocking the bulb. No flicker, no flashing. So far, fingers crossed, headlights have all lived up to the plug and play claims.

OP
OP
Peter Albert

Peter Albert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
As I stated above, I did not have any flickering or error code issues at all. (2017 1500 SLT) I did not need to add any of the CANbus devices.

Getting the LED's rotated to the correct output pattern was relatively easy, just a single set screw that had to be loosened and tightened. But it was a bit time consuming to get all four lamps set correctly.

SATX2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As I stated above, I did not have any flickering or error code issues at all. (2017 1500 SLT) I did not need to add any of the CANbus devices.

Getting the LED's rotated to the correct output pattern was relatively easy, just a single set screw that had to be loosened and tightened. But it was a bit time consuming to get all four lamps set correctly.

A screw - where is it located ?

OP
OP
Peter Albert

Peter Albert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
There is a set screw on the ring that is just above the cooling fins. Loosen that, and the lamp rotates within that ring. It took some installing and uninstalling of the bulb to get it in the correct orientation after the bulb is twist-locked into place. Just keep in mind that the correct orientation is the LED’s facing the 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock positions.

SATX2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a set screw on the ring that is just above the cooling fins. Loosen that, and the lamp rotates within that ring. It took some installing and uninstalling of the bulb to get it in the correct orientation after the bulb is twist-locked into place. Just keep in mind that the correct orientation is the LED’s facing the 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock positions.

Thank you