Which Walmart air filter for 2013 Hemi ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I use to have a KM on something , found it was no great deal, grain truck maybe?
It also is a pita, when you can just go buy a good paper filter and change it when needed
Somewhere I may still have some oil for one.

My 2014 does not have a cabin air filter, and I have never bothered to install one, truck sits in the garage and stays on the highway.

BTW, walmart here close up their auto service, still have some batteries, and such, but last place I shop other then maybe milk and chips. We have many better places for auto stuff.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Some say the filter oil gets on the mass airflow sensors.Maybe it can if you over oil the crap out of the filter.I've never experienced it tho.I went dry filter simply for more convenience.I ran K&N for at least close to a million miles over the years.One truck actually had over 300k,and with no issue.
Oiled gauze type filters like K&N are too easy for someone to over oil. Perhaps you didn't experience it, but not everyone can get it right every time. I stopped using them when I noticed a thin oily residue of dirt on the inside of the intake tube after removing a factory oiled filter for cleaning. It was on a car without a MAF sensor so the oil wasn't concerning to me. It was the dirt. I know that tube was perfectly clean when I installed the filter so it could only have come from the dirt that was getting past the filter and into the engine. Back to oil-less filters for me.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Tradesman Club cab.5.7 Hemi Engine 4wheel
I am going to change the air filter because I don’t know when of if the air filter has been changed.

I got the truck from my Dad about a month before he died of Stage 4 cancer on 7/8/2018.

The truck had only 13,000 miles on it when I got it,and has 49,900 on it now.

Any specific brand to buy from Walmart or local parts stores ?

Driven on local paved roads or the interstate with little to none off road use.
WIX air filter is the very best, they run about $33.00 and well worth it!

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Tradesman Club cab.5.7 Hemi Engine 4wheel
I am going to change the air filter because I don’t know when of if the air filter has been changed.

I got the truck from my Dad about a month before he died of Stage 4 cancer on 7/8/2018.

The truck had only 13,000 miles on it when I got it,and has 49,900 on it now.

Any specific brand to buy from Walmart or local parts stores ?

Driven on local paved roads or the interstate with little to none off road use.
OEM or at least a NAPA platinum made by Wix.

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
Think about what you just said here. You have a filter that needs dirt and extra oil to filter well, as in something needs to plug up the big ass holes in the filter element. Yep, that is exactly what I want in my off road vehicles.:Big Laugh:
K&N was rated #1 for flow on Project Farm and worst for filtration. Sounds logical.

Octane

Reaction score
Oiled gauze type filters like K&N are too easy for someone to over oil. Perhaps you didn't experience it, but not everyone can get it right every time. I stopped using them when I noticed a thin oily residue of dirt on the inside of the intake tube after removing a factory oiled filter for cleaning. It was on a car without a MAF sensor so the oil wasn't concerning to me. It was the dirt. I know that tube was perfectly clean when I installed the filter so it could only have come from the dirt that was getting past the filter and into the engine. Back to oil-less filters for me.
So maybe that residue was what trapped the fine silica before it got any further into the engine intake.Maybe it trapped it there in the intake tube.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So maybe that residue was what trapped the fine silica before it got any further into the engine intake.Maybe it trapped it there in the intake tube.
Wishful thinking. When I removed the intake tube and looked at the throttle body I saw the same types of deposits in the TB bore and throttle plate.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What's wrong with the K&N filters?
Well, gee! Back in the 50's and further on back, cars and trucks had oil bath air filters. Those were filth magnets. The advent of pleated air filters lent a longer service life not only for the filter, but made the engine last FAR longer.
The oil treated filters were at one time made from a surgical gauze material where one could hold the filter up and back light it and see holes the size of pin heads in the material.

Somehow, urban myth holds that the oil treated filters add performance to an engine.... This is physically impossible as has been proved on dyno. The difference was so negligible, that a stock filter makes much better sense.

But, it's your money!

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, gee! Back in the 50's and further on back, cars and trucks had oil bath air filters. Those were filth magnets. The advent of pleated air filters lent a longer service life not only for the filter, but made the engine last FAR longer.
The oil treated filters were at one time made from a surgical gauze material where one could hold the filter up and back light it and see holes the size of pin heads in the material.

Somehow, urban myth holds that the oil treated filters add performance to an engine.... This is physically impossible as has been proved on dyno. The difference was so negligible, that a stock filter makes much better sense.

But, it's your money!
Yeah cool story. Being a mechanic for 30+ years I'm well aware it does nothing for performance. I only use it so I don't have to keep replacing it. Pull it out, wash it dry it and a light coat of spray and back in it goes. About 15 minutes worth of work

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah cool story. Being a mechanic for 30+ years I'm well aware it does nothing for performance. I only use it so I don't have to keep replacing it. Pull it out, wash it dry it and a light coat of spray and back in it goes. About 15 minutes worth of work
Although it doesn't apply to your RAM, oil coating on those filters DOES contaminate the MAF (mass air flow) sensor on vehicles that have them and coke up the throttle body. I've simply seen too many problems through the years; especially since it is so easy to drop in a good quality pleated paper one! Peace! :)

Octane

Reaction score
Although it doesn't apply to your RAM, oil coating on those filters DOES contaminate the MAF (mass air flow) sensor on vehicles that have them and coke up the throttle body. I've simply seen too many problems through the years; especially since it is so easy to drop in a good quality pleated paper one! Peace! :)
Paper is easier.But if anyone needs a mechanic to spray a little cleaner in the intake every 30k or so,to eliminate this possible issue.They def. need to use paper filters.Especially if they can only drown a filter with oil in the first place.I use dry filter type anyway.I just aint paying big money to just throw a disposable filter in the trashcan.I put a few hundred thousand miles on my vehicles.To each their own way...