Who else leaves their alfaOBD MX+ plugged in?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm wondering if anyone has experienced issues from leaving it plugged in?
I was digging in the OBD thread, but it is massive

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You can't leave alpha permaanentl installed, except in the sense it is on your phone. You cannot leave it connected to the truck permanently.

I leave the security cable installed permanently. I do not leave the obdmx+ reader installed. I carry it in the glove box in case I need it.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I had a 1500 and removed the gateway bypass and BT OBDII connecter after I used it. I read of someone leaving it (either the bypass or OBDII connection) in and the dealership flagged them for aftermarket programming and voided those portions of their warranty (put in the notes with the VIN).

I had an extended warranty so always removed both just in case.

If I had a 2500 I would have left the bypass so I only had to remove the dash once. I would have still removed the BT OBDII connector.

Last edited:
OP
OP
StateOfMind

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can't leave alpha permaanentl installed, except in the sense it is on your phone. You cannot leave it connected to the truck permanently.

I leave the security cable installed permanently. I do not leave the obdmx+ reader installed. I carry it in the glove box in case I need it.
The reason for my question is that I have had mine plugged in since I got it, making it very convenient to just connect at any time. No issues I can tell, but at some point, more likely due to my adjusting some setting in alfaOBD, I lost my auto dimming mirror. I have a thread on that. Nothing seemed to help, so I was stripping out the security bypass cable in preparation of a trip to the dealer to have BCM reprogrammed as a last resort. No other BCM gremlins, just the mirror.
Why do you say you can't leave it in?

Anyway as I was removing it I wondered what real life experience people have had.

To save some of you readers some typing, the reason I didn't just reload my backup file for alfa, was covered in the other thread. I made my backup, went to load it, and it was blank. I was sent a copy of a backup that was very similarly speced, and I checked every single line, resetting anything that I had done. Nothing has worked, so off to give my hard earned to the dealer

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The reason for my question is that I have had mine plugged in since I got it, making it very convenient to just connect at any time. No issues I can tell, but at some point, more likely due to my adjusting some setting in alfaOBD, I lost my auto dimming mirror. I have a thread on that. Nothing seemed to help, so I was stripping out the security bypass cable in preparation of a trip to the dealer to have BCM reprogrammed as a last resort. No other BCM gremlins, just the mirror.
Why do you say you can't leave it in?

Anyway as I was removing it I wondered what real life experience people have had.

To save some of you readers some typing, the reason I didn't just reload my backup file for alfa, was covered in the other thread. I made my backup, went to load it, and it was blank. I was sent a copy of a backup that was very similarly speced, and I checked every single line, resetting anything that I had done. Nothing has worked, so off to give my hard earned to the dealer

You question doesn't make sense.

It's just software that is either on your phone or computer.

If you mean the hardware. then as it was mentioned above. Take it off if you go to dealer.

I left security module and mx reader once service guy made comment but nothing else.

I've driven many miles with both HP Tuner/Alfa connected to my surface doing logging.

OP
OP
StateOfMind

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You question doesn't make sense.

It's just software that is either on your phone or computer.

If you mean the hardware. then as it was mentioned above. Take it off if you go to dealer.

I left security module and mx reader once service guy made comment but nothing else.

I've driven many miles with both HP Tuner/Alfa connected to my surface
I see the confusion, and I was the cause. My original question should have said who leaves their MX + plugged in. I would have thought the phrase PLUGGED IN would have straightener that out.
Now if you are referring to the security bypass as the AlfaOBD, I also stated I was removing it in order to take to dealer.
I can't imagine it not being an issue leaving that home in, glad that your guy shrugged it off

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I see the confusion, and I was the cause. My original question should have said who leaves their MX + plugged in. I would have thought the phrase PLUGGED IN would have straightener that out.
Now if you are referring to the security bypass as the AlfaOBD, I also stated I was removing it in order to take to dealer.
I can't imagine it not being an issue leaving that home in, glad that your guy shrugged it off

Ok gotcha, that makes more sense for me now. You can certainly leave the BT dongle plugged in as some tuners and aftermarket gizmos require it. I personally don’t leave my MX plugged in because I would lose it or break it. With dogs it’s too easy to dislodge and destroy. As for the security bypass cable I’ve been quite fortunate that my local dealer doesn’t care about it’s installation. While purely anecdotal I’ve had warranty work done back in the day with the cable permanently installed along with keyless and go on a Bighorn that never had the option for it. Heck the dealer even replaced the delaminated radio while an aftermarket amp and bypass harness were installed. Sad but true that some dealers don’t care and others are very picky.

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I leave my By-Pass cable plugged in as it's a bugger for me to get it plugged in. I remove my MX+ after every use and keep it in the upper glove box so as to have it when needed on the fly.

I do remove my bypass cable prior to any dealer service visit to keep from any questions on mods/warranty validity questions. I have not made any real mods to the truck other than turning on my fog lights with high beams and turning on my tailgate warning open light, which had a side effect of turning on my bedlights when I open the tailgate (very useful as I have top and often use the bed after dark. :)

BlueHemi1500

ggrimm01

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 2500
Engine
Hello

I have a 2011 Ram 3500 I leave MX+ all the time. I only take off to use on my other Ram 2500 as needed. This alpha obd is the greatest poor man's tool instead of buying all those expensive scanners.

Neomoritate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I left one plugged in to my truck for several years. I kicked it off accidentally a few times, eventually breaking the adapter. No other issues.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If it's any of the OBDLink Bluetooth OBD readers, you can leave them plugged in without issue. They'll sense the truck is off an put themselves to sleep. I usually leave my MX+ plugged in all the time.
You do want to disconnect from using apps(AlfaOBD, Torque, Fusion, etc) that communicate through the OBD reader as it can cause communication failure CELs. Usually a loss of comm to the transmission, shifter or BCM but they'll usually go away on once the module is unplugged.