Why are 2500 6.4’s not selling?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
I’m looking at getting a new truck. I’m seeing massive discounts on 2500 6.4 gas trucks both in Big Horn and Laramie (this is in central/south Texas). 8-10 grand off MSRP is fairly common and I’ve seen a couple Laramie’s for as much as 15-17 grand off and they’re still sitting on lots for many months. That has to be at or below dealer cost. Why are these trucks not selling?

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
The Federal Trade Commission used to crucify retail businesses that raised prices then claimed they were having a "sale" and marked them down....I guess that doesn't apply to vehicle invoicing, because Ram has raised the prices of these things tremendously for the last two years, and since they aren't selling, they are now marking them down to where they should have been priced in the first place. Just my $.02, it's worth what ya paid for it

OP
OP
JerryETX

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
I should add I have been looking at Ford and Chevy 3/4 tons too. Both are selling at a pretty solid rate with 3-4 grand off MSRP. GM does have a 5.9 for 84 financing offer right now but Ford has no special financing offers that I’m aware of.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I should add I have been looking at Ford and Chevy 3/4 tons too. Both are selling at a pretty solid rate with 3-4 grand off MSRP. GM does have a 5.9 for 84 financing offer right now but Ford has no special financing offers that I’m aware of.
Not true. Ford credit is offering as low as 0% for 36 right now (longer terms have a rate, but it's pretty low, I just don't recall the number) depending on the vehicle. Just picked up an Expedition and that was the deals available on that. Can't speak for SDs right now.

As for why they aren't moving, it's pretty much the above - higher prices, lower resale, and high interest rates + election year means people aren't as willing to pull the trigger on them.

OP
OP
JerryETX

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Not true. Ford credit is offering as low as 0% for 36 right now (longer terms have a rate, but it's pretty low, I just don't recall the number) depending on the vehicle. Just picked up an Expedition and that was the deals available on that. Can't speak for SDs right now.

As for why they aren't moving, it's pretty much the above - higher prices, lower resale, and high interest rates + election year means people aren't as willing to pull the trigger on them.
I was told by a dealer the Ford credit term you referenced was not for F250’s. Apparently they are selling well enough without financing incentives. Maybe what I was told is inaccurate.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I was told by a dealer the Ford credit term you referenced was not for F250’s. Apparently they are selling well enough without financing incentives. Maybe what I was told is inaccurate.
Ford is running two shifts to build them and can't keep up, which is why they are going to use the factory space allocated to EVs to build more F250s. Only the good Lord knows why people are lining up to buy those horrific 6.7's, but they are.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Ford is running two shifts to build them and can't keep up, which is why they are going to use the factory space allocated to EVs to build more F250s. Only the good Lord knows why people are lining up to buy those horrific 6.7's, but they are.
Interestingly enough, if you hop over to the Ford forums, they love their 6.7's, especially with the new after-treatment systems, and aren't trashing the CTD itself but rather its after-treatment system. They run an extra injector after the combustion chamber (9 injectors total) to do a regen on the PSD, whereas ours dump extra fuel and run more boost through the engine to perform one. Supposedly this is how commercial designs are run as well (with the extra injector) and it may be a more robust system.

I'm not here to sing praises or trash either of them - just pointing out that what you hear/read depends completely on the context you're getting it from.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I'm not here to sing praises or trash either of them - just pointing out that what you hear/read depends completely on the context you're getting it from.
I have a local shop that likes to dish out dirt on Fords...Specifically the 6.7...Cracked pistons, bad turbos, transmissions falling apart. I think it's more of a hate thing with them guys, but they make it sound like you'd never want to buy a Ford. Me, I had a bad experience with a 2011 and 2016 Ford, both I bought new in those respective years, and I still have the bad taste in my mouth from them....I'm done with them. My Chevys and Rams have been good...My Chevy dealer has been terrific, my Ram dealer sucks. So, that sways me...

oledirteh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ive heard issues with ford trans. I love the body style of the fords, they just look like a truck. however when its time for me to get a new one, im going to look hard at chevy / GMC. if they come out with the big boy duramax, might be sooner then later.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Ford seems to dominate fleet sales, so that may be part of it. Especially for large fleets, logistical support matters and Ford seems to have a big leg up on Ram in that arena from my now-very-limited view of that sort of thing.

oledirteh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
oddly enough, fleet sales for contractors, and ram for car transporters is all i ever see around here lol. every dually with a car hauler with 3/4 cars on it is always a ram cab and chassis

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Here in the south Ford and GM are king and what made Rams attractive (and brought me to the brand) was price. Rams have traditionally been a bargain compared to the other 2 but now that they are all priced about the same I think people are just going with Ford and GM.
And in this case the 6.4 isn't going to sell as well as the diesel in the HD market so that is making sales of that particular model even worse.

OP
OP
JerryETX

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
ive heard issues with ford trans. I love the body style of the fords, they just look like a truck. however when its time for me to get a new one, im going to look hard at chevy / GMC. if they come out with the big boy duramax, might be sooner then later.
That bigger Duramax is a hoax started by TFL truck. I read where a GM engineer said the frame on the 1 ton trucks is as big as it can be for that size body and can’t handle a big bump in torque. At this point it’s likely a bunch of rumors flying around.

GM has a unique way of combining power with transmission and rear end to get a lot of torque to the ground. The 2024 gas 6.6 is a good example. I have a buddy that has one and it pulls as good as our friends 2023 F250 7.3 gas (same rear axle) but the engine numbers don’t reflect that.

OP
OP
JerryETX

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Here in the south Ford and GM are king and what made Rams attractive (and brought me to the brand) was price. Rams have traditionally been a bargain compared to the other 2 but now that they are all priced about the same I think people are just going with Ford and GM.
And in this case the 6.4 isn't going to sell as well as the diesel in the HD market so that is making sales of that particular model even worse.
Yeah the 6.4 isn’t selling as well as the 6.6 or 7.3 gassers either at least where I’m at.

OP
OP
JerryETX

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
My 6.4L 2500 was a solid truck that I sadly lost due to an inattentive driver.

I would not hesitate to purchase another one if I needed another 2500.
Yeah mine hasn’t been bad and I know they have improved a lot since 2016. I am look at buying another one. I’m just being picky on what I want. I’m at the age in life where I don’t need to settle for something I don’t really want. 4:10 rear axle ratio isn’t real common in my region. A 300 mile search brought up 2 of them lol.

OP
OP
JerryETX

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Thanks guys I mainly just wanted to make sure there was no big changes coming for 2025 that I hadn’t heard about.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
oddly enough, fleet sales for contractors, and ram for car transporters is all i ever see around here lol. every dually with a car hauler with 3/4 cars on it is always a ram cab and chassis

If you're buying a single truck or a hand full, things like purchase price and personal preference rule the day. Get into the hundreds to thousands of vehicles in a fleet and logistical support starts to matter as well. Training for in-house mechanics, availability of replacement components, fleet management software, etc. I don't think Ram does a very good job on that front, though again I'm well out of date and could be wrong.

OP
OP
JerryETX

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
If you're buying a single truck or a hand full, things like purchase price and personal preference rule the day. Get into the hundreds to thousands of vehicles in a fleet and logistical support starts to matter as well. Training for in-house mechanics, availability of replacement components, fleet management software, etc. I don't think Ram does a very good job on that front, though again I'm well out of date and could be wrong.
I’ve been searching for a few months for my next either used or new truck and on this one search engine site (I think it’s Carfax) it tells you how the used truck for sale was used (personal, corporate, rental). I see a lot of Ram 2500’s that were rentals. I was talking to one of our customers recently (commercial contractor) and found out they lease their company trucks (all Ram 2500 with 6.4 gas) from Enterprise. Not sure how long the lease is but i think it’s just 2 years. Enterprise takes care of all maintenance during the lease.