2013 Ram1500 Express Upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bsetz757

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Express Crew Cab, 5.9L V8, 5.7 ft bed, no Rambox. It was in an accident and needs some body work done on the passenger side. Instead of going to a body shop and just getting the work done I’m thinking of getting a salvage 4th gen Ram (2013 to 2019) SLT/Laramie/Limited and doing the upgrades below. I’d like to know if this is even possible and what type of shop can do it.

Upgraded:
To Dual HVAC
To power heated seats
To heated steering wheel
To towing power/heated side mirrors
Use body panels to replace those damaged
To 4 x 4 from 4x2

There is a 2019 SLT Classic at auction in 3 days. I think those body panels are the same style as my Express

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Express Crew Cab, 5.9L V8, 5.7 ft bed, no Rambox. It was in an accident and needs some body work done on the passenger side. Instead of going to a body shop and just getting the work done I’m thinking of getting a salvage 4th gen Ram (2013 to 2019) SLT/Laramie/Limited and doing the upgrades below. I’d like to know if this is even possible and what type of shop can do it.

Upgraded:
To Dual HVAC
To power heated seats
To heated steering wheel
To towing power/heated side mirrors
To 4 x 4 from 4x2

There is a 2019 SLT Classic at auction in 3 days. I think those body panels are the same style as my Express
Yes to All of these as a DIY project(s) using AlfaOBD, A SGM Bypass, and an OBDII adapter.

"To Dual HVAC (@Mpgrimm2 can sell you the required harness to convert)
To power heated seats (@Mpgrimm2 can sell you the required harness to convert)
To heated steering wheel (I think this is just a new clockspring and config change with AlfaOBD)
To towing power/heated side mirrors"

Not sure on what you are trying to achieve here? The body panels should be compatible but if you are trying to go from 4x2 to 4x4 it will take a bit of work (I'm sure it's possible, just have no idea what's required but AlfaOBD can probably help add the features once the hardware has been moved too.

"Use body panels to replace those damaged To 4 x 4 from 4x2"

To be clear, if you are talking about doing the body work and mechanic work yourself the first part of your list will be the easiest part of the upgrades you want and your entire project can be DIY.

OP
OP
B

Bsetz757

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
These were meant to be two separate items.

I believe the panels are the same, and with it being a classic, the body style is the same too.

To 4 x 4 from 4x2
I think with this one we’d have to swap out the transmission, and the electrical components, and other items to make it a true 4 x 4 vehicle

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
These were meant to be two separate items.

I believe the panels are the same, and with it being a classic, the body style is the same too.

To 4 x 4 from 4x2
I think with this one we’d have to swap out the transmission, and the electrical components, and other items to make it a true 4 x 4 vehicle
Body panels should be compatible. I "think" the transmission can remain the same and instead you'd be adding the transfer case and front differential, not sure if the rear differential needs to be swapped too. You'd also need the selector for 4x4 swapped and programmed. Some of these things can be done with AlfaOBD but others might be PCM programming that is not accessible with AlfaOBD. If the salvage truck has all of these features already, it may be cheaper to fix it then to add all of these things though...