3k miles since lifter cam job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gunsnfunz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had the same exact sound since new on mine it’s at 33k miles now goes away when warm I’ve been told it’s piston slap

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
I've had Hemi's pull up at intersections or parking and have never heard the tick until...I was at Costco and this guy with a really nice 1500 shifter pre-knob year. Lift kit with 4wd and his was ticking really pronounced.
I have a 2500 5.9 Cummins which I don't need anymore since selling my Northstar popup. I don't tow so a gasser is looking good.

PowersOf12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck has 8K miles on it after cam/lifter replacement by Dodge. The truck has had a tick on startup for 1 minute after the cam/lifter job. I keep assuming the exhaust manifolds again but they do not budge when wiggled by hand. On a good note, I just drove the truck 1,000 miles and got 21.4 mpg the entire trip from Florida to Northern Indiana. Never went above 68 mph and cruise control with MDS on most of the trip. Now I have 162,000 miles on it and hoping for many more.

PowersOf12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I get back home (another 1000 miles), I am going to look closely at the exhaust manifolds and flanges to the cats to see if there are any black marks indicating leaks. Otherwise, I am at a loss for why the tick is on startup. Done 3 oil changes since cam/lifter just to make sure it is clean even though they pulled and cleaned the oil pan.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
When I get back home (another 1000 miles), I am going to look closely at the exhaust manifolds and flanges to the cats to see if there are any black marks indicating leaks. Otherwise, I am at a loss for why the tick is on startup. Done 3 oil changes since cam/lifter just to make sure it is clean even though they pulled and cleaned the oil pan.
Grab the back of the heat shields,if they wiggle with a tug,odds are you have broken bolts.It's usually the back bolts that hold the heat shield on that break.

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I do use redline 5 30. Though I’m not sure I trust cutting filters open for a bit. As I’m sure there could possible be contaminant circulating from the previous failed lifter and cam. I would assume for a few oil changes at least

Wondering if I just need to retorque my manifold bolts now that they have been through a few heat cycles
One thing you can do easily, get a drain plug with a magnet for the oil pan, and some magnets with an adhesive backing to put on the oil filter. If there's metal in the oil, the magnets will separate it from the oil.

OP
OP
F

fadetoblack188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Don't bother wasting money on new manifolds, take your old ones to a decent machine shop and get them resurfaced. I did that about 3 years ago and it solved the problem. It is only a matter of time for new manifolds to warp because the casting has internal stresses. Old manifolds, by virtue of the repeated thermal cycling, have essentially been stress releived. Resurfacing the old ones will solve the problem.
I had the motor out of the truck when I did the job. I had manifolds resurfaced. New gaskets and new heat shields and new hardware .

OP
OP
F

fadetoblack188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
After I drive it down the block. The motor is very silent . Runs great. Just did a 8 hour road trip not a hiccup

OP
OP
F

fadetoblack188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
One thing you can do easily, get a drain plug with a magnet for the oil pan, and some magnets with an adhesive backing to put on the oil filter. If there's metal in the oil, the magnets will separate it from the oil.
I did throw a magnet on the oil filter cause why not . Not sure if it actually works

ramownerforjesus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got a question on this topic... is or would it be normal to hear a ticking sound from the engine of you have misfire codes? I have replaced all 16 plugs with NGK plugs and all 8 coils with NGK coils. I have misfires but no noise. Side note, this truck (5.7L) sat up for about 3 yrs.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I've got a question on this topic... is or would it be normal to hear a ticking sound from the engine of you have misfire codes? I have replaced all 16 plugs with NGK plugs and all 8 coils with NGK coils. I have misfires but no noise. Side note, this truck (5.7L) sat up for about 3 yrs.
You by chance didn't buy the plugs and coils off Amazon or Ebay did you? If so throw the plugs in the garbage and get them from somewhere like Rock Auto or the dealer.Amazon/Ebay NGKs are Chinese knock off plugs,and i wouldn't doubt so are the coils

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
it doesn't really matter noise and not, you can have a wiped cam with no ticking or some ticking. It does give you a little more hope it is not a cam without noise, but it doesn't matter. Did you have mis fire codes before new items? is the mis fire just a code or poorly running as well? post all the codes.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You by chance didn't buy the plugs and coils off Amazon or Ebay did you? If so throw the plugs in the garbage and get them from somewhere like Rock Auto or the dealer.Amazon/Ebay NGKs are Chinese knock off plugs,and i wouldn't doubt so are the coils
To add, if the component in question uses electrons, I would strongly recommend avoiding aftermarket parts. If you watch the auto repair videos on YouTube and talk to technicians, you'll find there's an almost universal mistrust of non-OEM electrical parts.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 111110 miles.

ramownerforjesus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had code P0300 and code P0403. The condition is the same before and after replacing the plugs. I purchased all my parts from RockAuto. At idle, the symptoms are more noticeable. If you accelerate the engine they are much less noticeable

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had code P0300 and code P0403. The condition is the same before and after replacing the plugs. I purchased all my parts from RockAuto. At idle, the symptoms are more noticeable. If you accelerate the engine they are much less noticeable
A P0403 is an EGR control circuit fault which could lead to a P0300 random misfire code (overactive EGR). This could also explain why symptoms are more pronounced at idle.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 111157 miles.

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I cut my filters and also use a drain plug magnet. I still have a lifter problem. I'm debating on what course of action is next ..... Rebuild the engine in my garage OR put a cam and lifters in my existing engine.

Bam930878

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have been running prolube oil treatment in every oil change since i baught my truck and had no noise even on start up

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
it doesn't really matter noise and not, you can have a wiped cam with no ticking or some ticking. It does give you a little more hope it is not a cam without noise, but it doesn't matter. Did you have mis fire codes before new items? is the mis fire just a code or poorly running as well? post all the codes.
I still believe that it is an oil supply issue that is most damaging to the cam. I have a block here in my garage that lost the cam. I have been slowly studying it and the main oil gallery from the pump has a thick almost lubriplate consistency. When I pulled the front main bolt, it would not fall out when I turned the engine right side up. If I were doing any 5.7 hemi, I would first thoroughly clean all the oil galleries. We don't really know what happens to oil over time and now that the 5.7 is part of history, Chrysler doesn't care.
Unfortunately, now that we don't see or use caustic soda in a hot tank, we are not getting the engines cleaned adequately. We now need to mechanically clean them.
I remember back in the 1980s there was a problem called "oil waxing" that occurred under specific temperature / warm up conditions. The oil companies changed the oil formulation as a result. That "could" be a similar situation now but the engine is gone away.