3rd Gen brakes sticking while towing only!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rambunctious1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My 3rd Gen brakes are hanging up. Very slow to release only while towing! Any ideas?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Has this always been the case or is it a recent occurrence? If this happened from day one it is highly improbable but not impossible for something to be messed up with the connection. More than likely, your trailer brake controller is not adjusted properly and is causing the brakes on your vehicle to lock up. I assume it is your front brakes that are locking? My thinking is that your gain is not set properly and the tow vehicle is doing more of the braking than it should be and that's what's causing the front brakes to lock up. Try adjusting the controller per the instructions. And tweak it a little bit to see if you can get rid of that front brake locking up.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
My thinking is that your gain is not set properly and the tow vehicle is doing more of the braking than it should be and that's what's causing the front brakes to lock up.
If the vehicle brakes are starting to hang up because their getting hot, there's something mechanical wrong with them. Could be the slide pins, caliper piston, brake lines, moisture in the fluid, etc.
It could be the trailer brakes hanging up. If they're surge brakes problem could be with the surge unit itself not moving and releasing the pressure.

Too much gain shouldn't cause brakes to hang up, it would be more of a lock up issue than anything

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
When towing they're building more heat then a caliper is sticking.
When it does it, get out and see which wheel is hot. That will be the sticking caliper. Replace them in pairs if you can.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 3rd Gen brakes are hanging up. Very slow to release only while towing! Any ideas?
I have a small fleet of 2500 and 3500 loaded with weight. I had a myriad of front brake sticking problems. The last pad change the mechanic put a NAPA ceramic pad on where we always ran OEM semi-metallic or Wagner HD semi-mets. After changeing hoses, calipers and rotors, I handed the mechanic the Wagner semi-mets and all was good again. Semi-metallic is the recommended pad for weight. Ceramic may not dissipate the heat the way the semi-mets do. Just my experience.

OP
OP
R

Rambunctious1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks. I also experienced that exact problem. That’s what started the issue and why everything has been replaced. I did use NAPA semi metallic pads. I don’t have much experience with the hydro boost and ABS on this truck. But that is literally all that has not been replaced. I even replaced the brake controller.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you feel it in the brake pedal of the truck, then it is in the truck brakes. I could see the trailer brakes hanging up and thus feeling a drag, but it wouldn't effect the brake pedal return in the truck. I really don't see how any trailer brake related issues could somehow make the truck brake pedal slow to return??? There is no mechanical or fluid connection between the truck and trailer brakes....
My suspicion is that the truck brakes are being used harder and thus getting hotter while towing, and the heat is causing a caliper to start sticking.

OP
OP
R

Rambunctious1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Agreed! However, the peddle is fine. It’s definitely the right front caliper. I just threw in the fact that I replaced the controller. The trailer brakes if not working properly could cause overheating of the Truck brakes. Not highly probable. But I had the original brakes on the Truck for almost 80,000 miles. Ever since I was talked into the ceramic pads I’ve had nothing but trouble. I’ve changed the pads along with everything else and now back to the same problem. I’m going to tear it apart and check calipers again. Then I guess I’m going after the booster.

Last edited:

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check out the flexible brake lines also. If they are the original lines than they are getting pretty old. Not uncommon for the rubber lines to swell up and not allow the fluid pressure to release. Again, the brakes getting hot can exaggerate the issue. When I say "hot" I just mean that you may be using them harder than normal and therefore they are getting hotter than typical driving...not they are overheating.

OP
OP
R

Rambunctious1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Replaced all brake lines and hoses including steel lines! Everything except hydro boost and ABS.