4th Generation Trims/Options Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deejay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 C.I Magnum 5.9
Ok So I have been looking at purchasing a newer ram for the passed few weeks. Now I know I am being pretty picky as this will be my biggest vehicles purchase yet and my current 2nd gen 1500 sport has alot of options that do not seam to be standard in the 4th generation trucks. Through a few dealership visits and of course passing plenty of 4th gens on the street I have began to notice alot of trim/option differences I was unable to come up with to many answers in general. :crazy:

I know this may but a long shot but I thought I would ask the other Ram owners for some help.

If by any chance somebody can locate a list of information and email/pm or post it. I would greatly appreciate any and all answers I can get in helping me find information on buying my new truck.
Anyways down to the point.

First off:

What are the differences in the years 09-14? (new options/features/trims optional or standard)

Second:

What are the major trim/package differences and whats included in them? Are they different for different years? Anything to stay away from?(other then recalls)

Third: (and maybe most important)

How interchangeable are some of the options if I buy a truck without? For example, will the newer electronics work in older trucks? Are beds with the Ram-Box just a bolt on swap? Upper glove box door addition? Interior swap?Led Tail swap?

Any information/instructions on this subject due to experience would really be very greatly appreciated.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I will try to answer as many of these questions as possible. 09-12 are the same. 13,14 have a face lift and updated interior.

Trim level for the 1500 are
Tradesman, ST
Express, ST
SLT
Lonestar/bighorn
Outdoorsman
Sport
Larmie
Larmie longhorn
Larmie limited.
They are offered in the following configureations reg cab, quad cab, and crew cab. The reg cab is offered with the 8ft bed/ 6 and half bed. The quad cab is offered with the 6 and half bed, the crew cab is offered with the 5 and half bed and starting in 13 I believe they are also offered in the 6 and half bed.

The tradesmen and express are basically the same truck with the express having color matches front and rear bumper and is offered with the 20 inch wheels. The interior is very basic roll up windows manual locks vinyl seats. They are also offered with cloth seats power window and power door locks.

The slt is standered with power windows locks cloth seat, chrome bumpers, color matched front facia between the chrome bumper and grill, the upper glove box cover nicer door panels, can get the upgraded stereo, sun roof, premium gauge cluster, and rear sliding glass and rear defrost.

The lone star/bighorn is a slt but has more options they have 20 in wheels standered, the interior is the same but with the addition of a center console. There is some with leather, heated seats and steering wheel, and navigation at the level.

The outdoorsman is the first level two tone paint is available. They come with 17in wheels with higher load range tires. The outdoors man has all the same interior features as the bighorns.

The sport has color matched bumpers and the sport hood for the exterior and is the first level that comes standered with leather and with the 2013+ they have the option for the smart key push button entry and push start, and projector headlights. They have heated seats and steering wheel, they also have cooled seats as a option. I'm sure there is a lot of other options such as power pedals and almost the little gadgets.

The larmie comes with chrome bumpers available in two tone and has the signature larmie wheels and grill. The larmie has standered leather and just about any option including everything that is on the sport. I'm not sure what options you can't get with the larmie.

And ims not sure what the larmie longhorn and limited come with standered over the larmie I have not done much research on this level of truck.

When they introduced the air ride sometime in 2014 I believe it is available on all trim levels. When they introduced the rambox it too was Available in all trim levels.

Engine options
3.7l v6 09-12
4.7l v8 09-13 I think.
5.7l hemi 09-current
3.6l pentastar with 8 speed automatic 13-current
3.0 Eco diesel 8 speed auto was just released.

Transmissions.
5 speed auto 09-11 or 12 3.7, 4.7 and hemi. I'm sure there is variation for the v6 vs the one in the hemi.
6 speed auto 12 and up hemi and the 4.7
8 speed auto 14 and up 3.6l and the hemi and Ecodiesel got a HD version.

Rear axle 3.21,3.55, and 3.92 are available across the board I believe.

As far as swapping parts almost everything for cosmetics are interchangeable mirrors, interior pieces, you can add the center console, rambox bed will bolt directly on to a non ram box frame, all the bumpers are interchangeable there are so many people on this forum that have added a lot of these items to there trucks.

My suggestion is to use ram build tool on there website to see the options you want. Look through auto trader to find options you want and search here if It can be added.

Nothing electronic will swap between the 09-12 and the 13+ the gauges are different the stereo is different the dash wiring is different so none of that type stuff will swap between the two.

I have so much more to add but I would be up all night being that specific. If you have more specific questions I will be happy to answer them as you have them.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Outdoorsman comes stock with 3.92, LSD in rear, 4.7L(?) V8, Class IV hitch, 0.7" "taller" due to upgraded coil overs, and remote start, Hemi available option

Sport comes stock with Hemi

OP
OP
D

Deejay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 C.I Magnum 5.9
Wow, wasnt expecting such broad answers so soon. Thanks guys!! Also does anybody know about the semi Auto shifter in the center console? What package/trim comes with this? Or do all of the center consoles include the semi auto Like I have seen?

I have tried the build a ram on the website and viewed hundreds of trucks in person and on kijiji still unable to narrow down alot of this stuff. (unhelpful dealers, Etc.) Although a few small things have been brought to my attention this way, clearly in only a few hours this posting has been more helpful.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The only thing 14hemiexpress got wrong to my knowledge is big horns cant get leather interiors otherwise extremely impressive regurgitation of information...the console shifter comes on any truck with the premium bucket seats..the seats with the flip up 3rd seat is refered to as a bench seat..i believe the console option starts as low as the slt package..thats when it starts on the 2500 although the shifter is always in the column on those

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
The only thing 14hemiexpress got wrong to my knowledge is big horns cant get leather interiors otherwise extremely impressive regurgitation of information...the console shifter comes on any truck with the premium bucket seats..the seats with the flip up 3rd seat is refered to as a bench seat..i believe the console option starts as low as the slt package..thats when it starts on the 2500 although the shifter is always in the column on those

It's not a standered thing but you can actually get katskins factory on the big horn, it's all my local dealerships have with the Eco diesel.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Wow, wasnt expecting such broad answers so soon. Thanks guys!! Also does anybody know about the semi Auto shifter in the center console? What package/trim comes with this? Or do all of the center consoles include the semi auto Like I have seen?

I have tried the build a ram on the website and viewed hundreds of trucks in person and on kijiji still unable to narrow down alot of this stuff. (unhelpful dealers, Etc.) Although a few small things have been brought to my attention this way, clearly in only a few hours this posting has been more helpful.

The auto shifter in the console is a option in the bighorn and up package not standered, you can get the bench in the larmie package.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
That is true there are many nice "factory" leather seat covers..id like a set of katzkins my self but theyre a little pricey for me at the moment...

You pretty much covered the entire basis though lol not much else to add really..the b&p tool should be able to help you out a lot though especially once you start remembering what comes standard with what package

Customers at my dealership always think i work there when i talk to them lol..im sure 14hemiexpress could easily get confused for a salesman

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
That is true there are many nice "factory" leather seat covers..id like a set of katzkins my self but theyre a little pricey for me at the moment...

You pretty much covered the entire basis though lol not much else to add really..the b&p tool should be able to help you out a lot though especially once you start remembering what comes standard with what package

Customers at my dealership always think i work there when i talk to them lol..im sure 14hemiexpress could easily get confused for a salesman

:roflsquared: my salesman had nothing to say. Other than small talk.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If your getting a 1500 be sure to get the 8 speed. The 6 speed doesn't compare to the 8. The 8 speed has the shifter dial.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Whats the major difference in the 8 speed? and its new for 2014 is it not?

The obvious difference is that it has 2 more gears. The not obvious difference is that it's a ZF transmission witch is a badass transmission manufacture of you haven't herd of them. The 8 speed gear ratio is 1st 4.71 2nd 3.14 3rd 2.10 4th 1.67 5th 1.29 6th 1.0 7th .84 and 8th is .67

The 6 speed ratios are 1st 3.00 2nd 1.67 3rd 1.5 4th 1.0 5th .75 and 6th is .67

If you compair the ratios you'll see the 8 speed has a steep first gear witch means it'll get you off the line very well, the 8 speed has more variety of gears to choose from so it hunts for gears a lot less than the 6 speed it should feel like it's always in the right gear.

The 8 speed is availabe in the 3.6l in 2013 and didn't get interduced to the hemi until 2014.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Late model 2013 can have the 8 speed too.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just curious if anyone else spends a bunch of time playing around with the build/price tool thus learning about each trim and the features? lol... i'm more knowledgeable than the people at the dealership.. Its awkward when i've corrected them and or mentioned something and they have no idea what i said.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Just curious if anyone else spends a bunch of time playing around with the build/price tool thus learning about each trim and the features? lol... i'm more knowledgeable than the people at the dealership.. Its awkward when i've corrected them and or mentioned something and they have no idea what i said.

I'm on the build tool 2-3 times a day dreaming. And searching through auto trader taunting myself. When I bought my truck I had 1 question for the sales person and that was does all types of car seats fit. Then I test drove it and drove it home.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The op should get a brochure, it breaks it down good.

OP
OP
D

Deejay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 C.I Magnum 5.9
I have been playing with the Build & Price tool and actually recently found a brochure, still kinda curious about the 14 models interchangeable parts. Obviously some features are un available like a crew cab long bed Slt which is available as an St for some reason? But im guessing that alot of the Slt features would not go into a ST as a down the road upgrade. Most of the other stuff seams to be simple to replace such as the upgrades to interior and things like that but it seams alot of the features would include different wiring harness`s, Does anyone know about adding these features later on? Does the truck have the plugs accessable to add these features? (Ie. Navigation/stereo headunit, power rear window/rear window defrost, Etc.) understandingly alot is simple bolt on, rambox, running boards, interior trims such as door panels, glove box, center console and rear folding seats, Class IV Hitch, Trailer brake controller,Skid plates,bedliner,wheels, Etc.

I Do alot of residential Contracting and the works slows down at times so basicly what I am trying to do is build an affordable truck year round that I can add options to when those big, well paying jobs come in.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
The navigation isn't available for the st it doesn't have the wiring harness for the audio controls. You can bolt one in and play it but cant turn the volume up or down. A member in here added the steering wheel controls ( by swapping steering wheels) allowed him to add the navigation and control the volume by the steering wheel. I'm assuming you want the crew cab 6'4 bed witch is a option not a common one but is a option. With the 1500 there isn't crew cab 8ft bed option, only reg cab 8ft. If you want crew cab 8 ft bed you will have to step up to the 2500.

If you give is a list of options you want we can point you in the right direction of the most effecient way to get there.

Last edited: