AC/heather issuies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpipes79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a '07 1500 Ram that the only way i can get air from my AC or heater is with the blower on high which is loud when you are trying to talk to a passenger. If I lower the speed the air flow quits, what causes it and if it's a blend door which would would it be? Also, I'm assuming the blend door that controls the recirculation is either stuck or just missing because air is nice and cold while sitting in the shade but any other time it just cool. Is there an easy fixer upper? I can't afford to take to the shop and have them to charge me $120 dollars an hour. I would appreciate any advise.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If the fan only works on high speed, more than likely it's the blower resistor.

OP
OP
M

mpipes79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the fan only works on high speed, more than likely it's the blower resistor.
i'm going to replace the resistor, would that also keep from the recirculator blend door from opening and shutting?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The recirc door won't close if either of the defrost settings are selected. The blower resistor won't effect operation of any of the doors in the HVAC system.

Ron Boggio

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Just rebuilt a HVAC box a couple weeks ago. The "door" issue is pretty well known. The actuator input pivot fails on the door (see attached picture). The one that I rebuilt, the recirculation door would not open or close either, however that was the only door that was not broken. The actuator motor had failed. This one also had the resistor failure. (see attached picture) It is worth noting, while the blower motor is "working" it would be wise to have a tech perform and amp draw test. The one that I rebuilt the "squirrel cage" would turn yet squeaked as it did. i.e. the reason the resistor failed. A binding on the motor will induce a higher then normal amperage draw.

Attachments

• Broken HVAC Door.png
    Broken HVAC Door.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 20220621_131644.jpg
    20220621_131644.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 11

ramman95

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Limited Crew Cab 6'4" Bed
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4
If your blower is on running on high but there's no air coming out of any vents I would check recirculation door. This can be accessed by removing the blower motor. The same thing happened to my 2004, the recirc door fell and was completely covering the blower motor opening. If that's the case, you can remove the door and leave it out then your HVAC will pull air equally from inside and outside. I chose to secure the recirc door in the closed position, always in recirculation mode. This way, the HVAC always pulls air from inside the truck, this is much better for AC.

I did this 4 or 5 years ago as a temporary fix but it has been working fine so I haven't messed with it. Keep in mind that my only problem was the recirc door, I haven't had any problems with any of the other blend doors.