Backup light not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JWarren0820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
Morning y’all,

I have a 2015 Ram 3500 that keeps displaying the “Backup light out” message. I have already replaced the third brake light enclosure in hopes that would solve the issue, which it did not. When I unlock the vehicle, the third brake light does illuminate, I have yet to be able to check to see if the brake light illuminates when the brake pedal is stepped on. From what I’ve read doing research, there doesn’t appear to be a fuse for this light either (but please correct me if I’m wrong). I’m stumped on what could be causing this issue. Any advice or suggestions on what to check next? This isn’t a MAJOR issue, but I would like to have it fixed just for peace of mind.

Thanks!

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Morning y’all,

I have a 2015 Ram 3500 that keeps displaying the “Backup light out” message. I have already replaced the third brake light enclosure in hopes that would solve the issue, which it did not. When I unlock the vehicle, the third brake light does illuminate, I have yet to be able to check to see if the brake light illuminates when the brake pedal is stepped on. From what I’ve read doing research, there doesn’t appear to be a fuse for this light either (but please correct me if I’m wrong). I’m stumped on what could be causing this issue. Any advice or suggestions on what to check next? This isn’t a MAJOR issue, but I would like to have it fixed just for peace of mind.

Thanks!
Back up light is the reverse lights the ones that come on when toy are backing up! the ones in the brake /tail lights the lil white /clear lense ! check and or just replace the bulbs !!!!

OP
OP
J

JWarren0820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
The truck says “back up lights” when thrown into reverse, however the lights in the tailgate are on when I check, so that’s interesting. They’re LEDS, with built in resistors, and the taillights are brand new.
But when I turn my lights on manually, the third brake light is not illuminated

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
sice LED probably did not come stock in your truck you will likely need to go in to BCM ! so if you have ALFA OBD and OBD MX to program to LED lights

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The truck says “back up lights” when thrown into reverse, however the lights in the tailgate are on when I check, so that’s interesting. They’re LEDS, with built in resistors, and the taillights are brand new.
But when I turn my lights on manually, the third brake light is not illuminated
Your "back up lights" are the white ones that only come on when you put it in reverse. They are not on your tailgate, they are usually at the bottom of your taillight assembly. In order to see them, you would need to stand behind the vehicle while someone else puts it in reverse (obviously with the brake on).

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When a Ram that did not come with LEDs, is upgrading to have LEDs
It almost always messes up with other lights & bulbs