Birds Keep Sh!tting on My Side Mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jas34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some people put big plastic owls on their boats. One on each mirror? Just a thought.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Even the plastic owls with the battery for the swiveling head, only work for a time.
The birds sense that the owl never moves from the location & although they seem to know that the owl is not harmful, they will not land next to it

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rubber snakes placed around the mirror area stopped all the bird poop on my mirrors.

Now I need to find something to keep snakes from coming onto the front porch and climbing into the greenery, like this one did last Sunday.

It thrilled the wife when she went outside to water the fern it was in. I got it out of the fern, but it went into the fake bush, where I took its picture.

Snake.jpg

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Birds very rarely poop on my Flex its got the Undrdog Coating on it lol. Here is a shirt from their site.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-05-05 at 9.45.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-05 at 9.45.30 AM.png
    349.8 KB · Views: 6

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Rubber snakes placed around the mirror area stopped all the bird poop on my mirrors.

Now I need to find something to keep snakes from coming onto the front porch and climbing into the greenery, like this one did last Sunday.

It thrilled the wife when she went outside to water the fern it was in. I got it out of the fern, but it went into the fake bush, where I took its picture.

View attachment 542406

I suggest one of these...
1714928991766.png

leftchevybehind

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi eTorque
No matter where I am or what time of day, birds keep landing on my side view mirrors and taking massive turds. It’s infuriating. I finish a wash and polish, clean up, go inside, and an hour later my mirrors look like a bird crap bombing range.

Does this happen to anyone else? Any ideas? I do have the towing mirrors, but would that matter? I’m honestly toying with the idea of covering them when not in use.
Literally started to happen to me

OP
OP
Puckstopper55

Puckstopper55

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Rebel
Engine
So it’s only been 2 days but operation “fold and pray” seems to be semi successful. The mirrors have stayed clean but my poor tonneau cover is now their version of White Sands Missle Test Range. I think this is a trade I’ll begrudgingly accept.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to have your side mirrors always fold in when the truck is in park? Or to make sure all windows (front, rear, back, and sunroof) close when parked or alarmed?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is this cool neural interface that has endless programming options for the windows or mirrors, it's just like you can program it with anything that you can possibly think of. :cool:

Seriously, IIRC, somewhere I've seen an option to open/close the mirrors with the ignition.

Or, maybe that was wishful thinking. I'll have a look in a couple of places later this morning and report if someone else doesn't respond sooner. :cool:

According to the information in the following thread, there isn't any automated operation for the mirrors besides auto-tilt in reverse.

I've read in a couple of places that a Tazer by Z Automotive has the option to auto-fold the mirrors.

Don't forget about the added wear on the mirror motors and gears or the potential damage with serious sub-low temperatures.

As for the windows, I've been closing windows every time I park for decades without a second thought.

That has been a semiautomatic part of parking even with the manual crank windows of my first 4 or 5 vehicles. :cool:

Last edited:

skates15

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or to make sure all windows (front, rear, back, and sunroof) close when parked or alarmed?
Would have been nice if I had that feature as a teen. A couple friends and myself were hired to take down a Hornets nest. Plan was to take it down and make a run to my Pinto Station wagon. Then wait until things calmed down before disposing the nest.

Everything worked according to plan and we hot footed it back to the Pinto with an angry swarm just behind us.

It was summer...and when we piled into the car the windows were all down.

5150Eddie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
Yeah, I used bags to cover my mirrors. Then the bird switched to seeing itself in the brass kickplate we had on the bottom of our front door. I heard it early one morning pecking quite a bit, so I loaded some birdshot in my .22 and snuck out the side door. I went up to the corner of the porch and the bird saw me and flew about 20 feet to a tree branch and I was able blast it from there. Haven't had an issue since!

etbrown4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've used walmart bags successfully and tie it with the handles. Works well. Prior to that I observed the birds looking at themselves in the mirrors so folding in should work too.

Tim Troyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
No matter where I am or what time of day, birds keep landing on my side view mirrors and taking massive turds. It’s infuriating. I finish a wash and polish, clean up, go inside, and an hour later my mirrors look like a bird crap bombing range.

Does this happen to anyone else? Any ideas? I do have the towing mirrors, but would that matter? I’m honestly toying with the idea of covering them when not in use.

Same happend to me so I got these off Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WT5GPWL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
We use to have a mayday? tree I think she called it, little berries on the robins would eat and get druck on them , them fly into the windows, ot patio door. I think Robins look OK, but stupid little a.h., want to make nests under the top deck as well.
the tree died, helped but now every morning we have this chat about nesting, after 4 nests , they seem to have taken the hint. It not like there are scads of trees.

On the farm it was black birds dive bombing the wife in the garden. Farm is different then in town.

GDiddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have the same thing happened to mine. I set up a camera and discovered the birds see their reflection in the mirror and start fighting with their reflection. Apparently birds **** on each other when they’re fighting. I put a plastic owl up nearby where I park, and that eliminated the problem, Totally, it even reduced the number of squirrels in my yard.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
Lots of birds, but very little crap.
My worst experience was when I drove my brand new 68 Olds Cutlass with the white vinyl top to school and parked under the mulberry tree. You wouldn't believe.

ReddJackson

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 Turbo
2015 Laramie blacked out, no chrome except for the Cummins flag, always fold the mirrors in….Blacked out seems to work against birds

RexHigan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
LOL Had to reply, I have had the same problem for years. I don't think they are being vindictive, just being birds. I am prepared to just hose it off and go on my way. My truck is parked just across the way from a bush that they nest in, so its convenient for them.