DEF delete?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrasherAsher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Asking for my Dad, he has 2021 6.7.

He is thinking about doing a DEF delete. What does it entail, pros and cons?

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That one is a touchy subject with the EPA issuing fines to tuner shops and companies that provide stuff related to emission deleting recently. Not sure if you are going to get much of a response here for that stuff.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you just want a DEF delete you can just get tuning to do that. It's called "intact" tuning. Your DPF and all the other emission parts stay on the truck and it regens as normal, it just disables the DEF and EGR. It's available in "Canada"

Just be aware if your 21 has been back to the dealer lately and the ECU was flashed they have a new lockout that will prevent tuning, or at least the traditional type. There is a work around but it's ridiculously expensive as it requires a ECU replacement (over $4K)

Of course your warranty will be gone either way.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Honestly for what the DEF costs, I would just leave it alone and not risk it and/or not spend a ton of cash to replace the ECU.

OP
OP
CrasherAsher

CrasherAsher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you just want a DEF delete you can just get tuning to do that. It's called "intact" tuning. Your DPF and all the other emission parts stay on the truck and it regens as normal, it just disables the DEF and EGR. It's available in "Canada"

Just be aware if your 21 has been back to the dealer lately and the ECU was flashed they have a new lockout that will prevent tuning, or at least the traditional type. There is a work around but it's ridiculously expensive as it requires a ECU replacement (over $4K)

Of course your warranty will be gone either way.

Yea he just looking to delete the DEF. He wants to setup up his truck for long hauls. And doesn't want to Hassel with DEF. He has had problems in the past with finding it on the road.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Also to consider, it of itself has no in appreciable impact on power or MPG, can make it highly improbable that he can ever sell or trade it, and if successful in that department it could open him up to penalties under state and FTC regulations. IMHO not worth the effort.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Yea he just looking to delete the DEF. He wants to setup up his truck for long hauls. And doesn't want to Hassel with DEF. He has had problems in the past with finding it on the road.
I get that (one of the vehicles I drive is an MB Sprinter) but he could always throw an extra DEF in the bed, ya know?

OP
OP
CrasherAsher

CrasherAsher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I get that (one of the vehicles I drive is an MB Sprinter) but he could always throw an extra DEF in the bed, ya know?
He usually brings 20 gals with him. But he is retired and he will pack up and go for months at time traveling wherever his heart desires. His last truck an 09 he had over 500k.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
He usually brings 20 gals with him. But he is retired and he will pack up and go for months at time traveling wherever his heart desires. His last truck an 09 he had over 500k.
Ahh, gotcha. Still, the other options are either asking for trouble down the road, or spending more money than he probably wants to. I do envy him though, this is definitely a first world problem. :happy175:

OP
OP
CrasherAsher

CrasherAsher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ahh, gotcha. Still, the other options are either asking for trouble down the road, or spending more money than he probably wants to. I do envy him though, this is definitely a first world problem. :happy175:
100% first world problems. But I am stuck in a truck with him for few days we are traveling from North Carolina to Arizona. So I have some time to kill. I figured I would do some research.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
100% first world problems. But I am stuck in a truck with him for few days we are traveling from North Carolina to Arizona. So I have some time to kill. I figured I would do some research.
I hear ya, always good to do the research. You definitely said "stuck in a truck with him".

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Like I said he needs intact tuning. Shuts off def and egr. Have to have both disabled.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Every Truck Stop carries DEF

It is a very seldom thing that Tractor Supply or Walmart does not have DEF in stock

OP
OP
CrasherAsher

CrasherAsher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Every Truck Stop carries DEF

It is a very seldom thing that Tractor Supply or Walmart does not have DEF in stock
According to my Dad. He said going through Canada it can be hard to find. But the last 100 miles of our road trip we are on we have been discussing ways to put an DEF auxiliary tank. He has camper in the bed and I think i have him convinced to put a flat bed on his truck.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
with a flat bed, you can have tool boxes on each side, under the bed. You also can have Snow Chain hooks attached to the under bed tool boxes.

When i lived in Cold Country, i used to dislike trying to pull the chains out of the tool boxes & detangling then, just to put them on the tire, we never thought about having hooks under the bed.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
According to my Dad. He said going through Canada it can be hard to find. But the last 100 miles of our road trip we are on we have been discussing ways to put an DEF auxiliary tank. He has camper in the bed and I think i have him convinced to put a flat bed on his truck.

Good idea. That would be easier than messing with the OEM DEF system these days. My 4th Gen CTD had a full delete on it but as time went on I could see more and more intrusion of the EPA and DEQ into the diesel pickup mods.

The shop that did mine went broke after having to pay all the fines the state DEQ levied on them.

ramsare4real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly for what the DEF costs, I would just leave it alone and not risk it and/or not spend a ton of cash to replace the ECU.
I don't own a Diesel, but if I were to buy one (maybe!), I would do the same. Just leave it alone and live with it.