EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Mr.Asmith9

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
Thanks Sparkyy, I'll be doing a trip update later on today when I get home so I'm not doing it all on my phone. And yes, that would be amazing to have a line of rams surrounding for the journey. But alas, I will just have some viral passengers instead. I'm really excited to be posting updates while I'm actually hauling the trailer.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Sounds great!

I use to live out in WA/ID for a few years and drove from 80 just outside of Salt Lake City to Jersey so I know some of the area you are going through. Take pictures! lol

OP
OP
Mr.Asmith9

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
Vehicle Update & Official Travel Plans!
As of sometime this morning my vehicle magically moved from Scheduled, all the way through Frame & Paint, and is officially in "G - Trim"​

Now that the estimated arrival time of my vehicle seems to be on schedule I felt safe enough to purchase my flight, reserve some hotels, get the trailers on order and ready for pickup, the whole 9 yards. The vehicle is estimated to arrive April 7th, therefore I'll fly down April 27th, that gives almost a 3 week buffer for any unforeseen circumstances that may arise. I'm also pleased to note that my friend will be flying down a few days after me to help drive back through Canada.

This is what the trip will look like.
Day 1 Sunday
4/27 Sunday. Fly from Fairbanks to Spokane about 5.5hrs, I'll arrive about 1130pm Sunday evening and will be staying at a local hotel.​

Day 2 - Monday
Some time early morning be picked up by the Shuttle drive for Dave Smith Motors and be bused to there facility estimated 1.5hr drive.

Pick up my new Ram 1500 EcoDiesel, also known as my "Little Diesel" which is supposedly going to take around 4-5 hours to dot the I's and cross the T's

After that's all said and done I'll drive to Bozeman, MT. 329 Miles, about 5 hours drive time and either sleep in my truck, or go stay at a cheap hotel I priced out.​

Day 3 - Tuesday
Sometime in the morning leave for Cody, WY. By driving through Yellowstone National Park. 235 Miles, about 5 hours drive time + a lot of stops

When I hit Cody, I'll have to go pick up the 4,100 lb Dump Trailer my old man wants and head on out to Torrington, WY for the other equipment he needs. 357 Miles, about 6 hours

Once I hit town I'll either sleep in my truck to save some cash, or find a cheap hotel.​

Day 4 - Wednesday
First thing that morning I'll pick up the two pieces of farming equipment, Potato planter 400 lbs, and the Potato Digger 1,600 lbs. I presume it's going to take some time to load them onto the Dump trailer and get an in-depth walk through on how to operate the machinery.

Drive from there to Missoula, MT. 766 Miles, about 11 hours.​

Day 5 - Thursday
Drive From Missoula over to Spokane. 200 Miles, about 3 hours.

Find something fun to do as I'll have the rest of Thursday to burn.​

Day 6/7/8 - Friday to Sunday
Pick up my good friend first thing Friday morning and head on out to Republic WA. 123 Miles about 2.5 hours

The rest of Friday and Saturday and most of Sunday just hangout with some of our friends.

Sunday Evening leave Republic in time to make the border crossing and head for Edmonton AB Canada. 651 Miles, about 12 hours​

Day 9/10/11 - Monday to Wednesday
Some time early morning Monday we'll arrive in Edmonton. Our goal for the next few days is to enjoy the sights there. We'll be visiting the Edmonton mall for sure seeing as that's where we are staying.

Some time Wednesday when we feel like it, we'll be headed on back to Fairbanks, AK. 1,823 Miles about 36 hours.

That should but us back around Day 13/14 - Friday or Saturday. After we get to Fairbanks I'll be dropping off my friend and driving the last 80 miles to Anderson, AK.​

Estimated Mileage for trip 4,564 Miles. Total Load Weight after all Equipment is picked up - 6,100 lbs. Keep in mind the drive times mentioned above does not include any stops, and is strictly based off of what Google Maps / Map Quest stated. As you may of noticed the first few days of my trip are on a tight driving schedule, that it to ensure I have everything and am back at the airport in time to pickup my friend.

I am open to any and all suggestions on anything from odd must have travel items to additional places to see while I'm going from place to place.

Last edited:

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Just to keep in mind. 10,11,12 hours is a LOOOOONG tow. It's more demanding than driving unloaded. You'll need to keep it under 65(trailer tires), and you'll have to stop for fuel more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mr.Asmith9

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
Just to keep in mind. 10,11,12 hours is a LOOOOONG tow. It's more demanding than driving unloaded. You'll need to keep it under 65(trailer tires), and you'll have to stop for fuel more often.

Luckily the trailer is a dual axle with full size tires so speed won't be a restriction. However, I don't plan on going faster then 65 when fully loaded just to be safe. Once I hit Canada and Alaska for sure the speed limit is only 65 anyway. Also the vehicle has viewable temperatures like transmission if I'm not mistaken so I'll be better equipment to monitor my vehicle on such a long haul.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That's going to be an awesome trip. I would love to just drive like that and see all the land.

I can't believe someone still uses Mapquest, lol. Didn't even know it was still around.

OP
OP
Mr.Asmith9

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
I can't believe someone still uses Mapquest, lol. Didn't even know it was still around.
I actually hate map quest with a fiery passion lol. I'm a Google maps user honestly. But Google has let me down for this trip, I'll forgive them don't worry, they wouldn't allow me to plan a trip through a seasonally closed road. Where as Mapquest would. My path through Yellowstone has a 10 mile stretch or so of road that's closed till the endish of April.

As far as the scenery.... I wish I had a better camera then my cell phone lol.

OP
OP
Mr.Asmith9

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
Order status update:

This morning my truck moved from Trim to Final inspection. Its status code is JB - shipped to body vendor I'm not entirely sure why... The gal on the phone said that's where they install some of the optional packages? But who knows.

I realized something over the weekend... My truck was mostly assembled on a Friday... and finished on a Monday... Aren't those the two worst days of the week for vehicles to be built? I mean stereo typically don't those vehicle have the most problems? I'm not overly worried though because I'm getting the extended warranty. It just goes to show you how lucky I am haha.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ahh, don't sweat the "Day of the Week" rumor. Hmmm, maybe a good topic to send in to "Mythbusters". Lol.

You really have a tight schedule the first few days. You might want to add some more time and spread things out if you can. For one, like a previous poster mentioned, trailer towing and unseen stress (flights, tight schedule, new vehicle purchase, paperwork, getting to know everything and get on the road) will really take it out of you. It would be wise to add some down time for rest. I would hate to have this all end in a ditch because of fatigue, where you fell asleep at the wheel or something.

Then just in "road" time alone, heading through Yellowstone and all of that, it would be nice to not be under a severe time crunch where the only way to make schedule is through cutting into your sleep time.

I would guess you could almost double the Ten hours or so you have allotted for that section of the journey alone. Sorry to sound like a "Mother Hen" but, I look back at some of the stuff I got away with in my youth and thought how lucky I was to have gotten away with it. Fatigue is worse than drunk driving. I can't tell you how many times I've nodded off and barely missed stuff. Damn lucky, and too foolish and hard headed to just stop and rest.

Weather should be nice coming up. So at least that won't be a concern.

Thinking about the "Little Diesel", the 3.92's that are great in the Hemi's would probably be too low for the powerband of the new truck. I imagine looking at it's torque curve, that it would probably rather chug along at lower rpm's, rather than be spinning faster running highway speeds. So, that may be more of a Plus than a Negative factor as well. Very cool.

Keep writing. You got a lot of us who will be riding along with you! :deal:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr.Asmith9

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
@Brakelate,
I think Mythbusters would be in a pickle with that myth haha, it would be pretty hard to prove I think. In regards to the tight schedule and all the stress from everything... I think I'll be okay but I obviously wont know until I'm down there doing all the driving and stuff. Luckily I do have one extra day (Thursday where I'm only planing on driving about 200 miles and spending the rest of the day in Spokane) to do some catching up If I fell behind because I got tired or wanted to spend a few extra hours here or there along the way. If push comes to shove I have made a fall back plan for my friend to get picked up in the event I don't make it back to Spokane by Day 6, Friday. I'm not going to endanger my own life in any way that I can prevent. If I'm tired... I'm going to pull over. Staying on schedule isn't worth the risk of injury. I appreciate the concern and no, you don't sound like a "Mother Hen" Just a concerned passenger who's riding along ;) I'm also use to longer drives, nothing like what I've got planned but because I live in Alaska you have to drive a goodly distance to go anywhere.

I'm also happy I didn't get the 3.92 now. It wasn't worth the extra 1,000 pounds of towing capacity for the whole higher RPM thing.

Keep writing? Ha, I feel like I'm almost over posting with all my status updates that aren't really necessary right now but I feel like I should provide something seeing as I started the forum a little early. I'll be providing plenty of road updates with the U-Connect System. I'll be purchasing the 1 Month of Wifi so I can post in between towns on my laptop while on the road, not while driving of course. Regrettably, the wifi won't work while I'm in Canada =/ so after I leave Edmonton I'll be silent for a few days.

To Everyone:
Speaking of my updates, is the way I'm providing links from the initial forum post and the way I'm actually writing the updates to everyone satisfaction? I'm trying to be informative as well as just share my experiences of a first time New car buyer and Massive Road trip.

Also....
Order status update:
:lol:

As per my normal routine I awoke and checked on the status of my truck. It has passed the final inspection phase and has now moved on to Shipping. Its current status is "KZ - released by plant, invoiced" I have to call and get the actual Status codes BTW. So, while I was on the phone with the guy I asked for expected deliver and he said "4/17/2014 @ approximately 2:36pm." That's about 10 days later then I was first told. This gives me concern because my friend and I have already purchased our plan tickets and of course we didn't but the over price "refundable" tickets. He also has already scheduled with his friends/family/work when he'll be down. So he can't change his time frame. I can make the adjustments if necessary but that might mean I ride back solo and he buys a one way ticket back home = /. The good part if that happens is then I could slow down my first week and save about 500 miles? by not having to drive back to Spokane to pickup my friend. So I guess each side has its benefits. If the vehicle does arrive on time then everything should be fine. But last I heard the rail yard is pretty backed up... Time will tell.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr.Asmith9

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
I financed my vehicle yesterday/today here are my end numbers if anyone is interested.
Local Dealership (Gene's Chrysler of Fairbanks) Wanted: $62,022
MSRP: $58,080
Invoice: $52,669
Dave Smith Motors Wanted: $52,369 (After License and Doc Fees)
Rebate: -$3,000
OTD: $49,369
I also got $4,188 in aftermarket accessories (not reflected in above price)... I know I'm horrible...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr.Asmith9

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
Hey guys!
Just a little check in for everyone, as of right now the vehicle is still scheduled to arrive on the 14th, so I wont have to make any changes to my travel arrangements. Also yesterday was my Birthday, yay me, and I spent a good amount of my day goofing off on our forums haha.

I also wanted to make a shout out to 0212353 over at the Retro Shop. He has been more then helpful with all of my questions, quick to respond to my emails and has provided me with excellent customer service over several occasions. I have ordered three HID kits from them, Highs/Lows/Fogs, and will upload pictures of that when I get back home and install them. Anyway, if you haven't checked out there website, its worth a look.

18 days till I get my truck!!

OP
OP
Mr.Asmith9

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
Order Status Update
My truck arrived on April 10th, 4 days earlier then scheduled and since it has arrived the dealership has been hard at work installing my accessories. They sent me pictures today of the progress, which was a complete surprise to me because I didn't expect to see the truck until I was standing there in person. Here are the installed accessories in the pictures:
  • Headache Rack & Tool Box
  • Simoniz Glass Coat
  • Mopar Chrome Side Panel Molding
  • PUTCO LED Dayliners
  • Side window tint & eyebrow
  • Husky Liner Mud Flaps
  • Smoke Air Deflectors

And this is whats left to be installed by the dealer:
  • Westin HDX Chrome Cattle Guard
  • Custom Decal

Attachments

• 1 Front.jpg
    1 Front.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 1 Passanger Side.jpg
    1 Passanger Side.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 1 Back.jpg
    1 Back.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
That's awesome. So the dealership is installing the remaining stuff before you get there?

How in the heck did you work that into the deal?

You will have a one of a kind Ram even before you take delivery!

By the way I like the chrome!

Reminds me of my Ram!

photo2_zps7cb92e30.jpg

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
Order Status Update
My truck arrived on April 10th, 4 days earlier then scheduled and since it has arrived the dealership has been hard at work installing my accessories. They sent me pictures today of the progress, which was a complete surprise to me because I didn't expect to see the truck until I was standing there in person. Here are the installed accessories in the pictures:
  • Headache Rack & Tool Box
  • Simoniz Glass Coat
  • Mopar Chrome Side Panel Molding
  • PUTCO LED Dayliners
  • Side window tint & eyebrow
  • Husky Liner Mud Flaps
  • Smoke Air Deflectors

And this is whats left to be installed by the dealer:
  • Westin HDX Chrome Cattle Guard
  • Custom Decal

Awesome looking truck! Congrats!

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truck is looking good man

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Awesome!!! I know you are getting anxious now....

sent thru a cloud of smoke

OP
OP
Mr.Asmith9

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
Good morning my digital Passengers!

I fly out tomorrow, and will pick my truck up Monday morning so this will be my last post until then. My sale's guy emailed me another picture but this one has my grill guard on it. It's the Westin HDX Stainless steel grill guard. It's a little pricey but it looks like it might protect my front end from a moose if, lord forbid, one decides the road is a fun place to play at night. There is also a custom decal on the the rear quarter panel of my truck bed (both sides) that you can't really see from this picture. But fear not, there are pictures of plenty to come Monday.

I also signed up with Fuelly, a website that tracks your mpg and allows for easy sharing and updating. They also provide a link to embed for forums so I have included it into my signature. Fuelly works based off fuel-ups using the simple math equation for MPG (miles ÷ gallons = average mpg). Sorry Tapatalk users, you'll have to visit the RF form's web version to see it. I'll also post what my EVIC system is telling me I'm getting. I'm sure there will be a slight discrepancy. As a reminder, I will be towing a trailer after the first 500ish miles, so I don't expect to be getting the EPA's 28 hwy with a loaded trailer at 6,100#s

That's all for now, See Y'all in the passenger seat!

Attachments

• 01 Front Bumper.jpg
    01 Front Bumper.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 151
OP
OP
Mr.Asmith9

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
For all you Tapatalk members who can't see Signatures this post is for you regarding my trucks mpg based off Fuelly.

276391.png

**Note that fuelly is calculating every mile I have driven, which includes the long strenuous journey with the trailer that bogged down my fuel economy. It's slowly creeping back up but if you click the badge you can see more recent results.

Last edited: