How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deathbyburito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
2018 through 2022 should work as long as the newer ones are a 4th gen (classic) and not a 5th gen. Here is the adapter I designed to hold the USB-C hub in the center console. I basically cut straight across from the square hole to the round on top and bottom and this adapter slid in to hold it in place. I was hoping it would friction fit and stay in place but I did end up applying a little glue to get it to stay.

That said it sounds like some of the 2022 classics had a uconnect 5 radio which I'm not as sure about. Personally I would be careful with 2022 as it may have a Uconnect 5 radio that my not be plug and play with previous Rams.

Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
One way to be sure is pull current radio and if it has the big rectangular main wire plug on the back (plus other single wires for various things like satellite), Gen 4s would work.

Screenshot_20231201-005606~2.png

dasaint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey all,

Have a Q i got a UAS Stereo, got it all installed however it looks like it came out of a newer RAM Truck and had all its previous settings ( i know it takes a bit for it to talk to the body control module to reset ) my question is when i was playing music on it seemed like the audio was way off (When using bluetooth all music coming out of driver rear seat, and no volume control seemed to be working) does it need to do its adaptation for it to equalize and work correctly? I am assuming so but just figured id ask...

dasaint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey all,

Have a Q i got a UAS Stereo, got it all installed however it looks like it came out of a newer RAM Truck and had all its previous settings ( i know it takes a bit for it to talk to the body control module to reset ) my question is when i was playing music on it seemed like the audio was way off (When using bluetooth all music coming out of driver rear seat, and no volume control seemed to be working) does it need to do its adaptation for it to equalize and work correctly? I am assuming so but just figured id ask...
I got my answers. The adaptation fixed the audio issues, runs Great!!! Now working with @Mpgrimm2 for the missing cable and possibly a HVAC change over

Cdelle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
2018 through 2022 should work as long as the newer ones are a 4th gen (classic) and not a 5th gen. Here is the adapter I designed to hold the USB-C hub in the center console. I basically cut straight across from the square hole to the round on top and bottom and this adapter slid in to hold it in place. I was hoping it would friction fit and stay in place but I did end up applying a little glue to get it to stay.

Thanks for the model. Printing now. *.4 with Nav on way and harness.

Cdelle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
That said it sounds like some of the 2022 classics had a uconnect 5 radio which I'm not as sure about. Personally I would be careful with 2022 as it may have a Uconnect 5 radio that my not be plug and play with previous Rams.
Well Printed out the adapter. Printed perfect. Then realized I grabbed a 2018 media hub from the wrecker before I printed it. Now they dont match lol. Great design on the adapter. Radio installed tonight. It is theft locked. Waiting on code.
Thanks again.

cdwright25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Last edited:

Jim Martin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Can you give me a TLDR? I have a 2017 1500 Bighorn with dual-zone climate control. I have the same hi/lo issue and the radio is also displaying in Celcius instead of Freedom units. I've read many posts that say "it should just work" while others are buying $175 wiring harnesses or $200 hvac parts. I don't want to do any of that if I can avoid it. I installed part number 68306656AG. Thanks for any help you can give me.

EDIT: 2 hours later.....
It just works. All the vehicle-specific settings came back and the climate control works perfectly. Freedom units and all.

Last edited:

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I installed a UAQ radio in my 2015 Ram 2500 when the group first started upgrading and it has been working great until recently. I had to swap the battery on my truck and after starting up the truck, the SXM option was gone from the Media section. I did a google search and found that this is common after disconnecting the battery and it should come back in a day or so. Unfortunately, it didn't come back after a couple of weeks, so I decided to check my configuration with Alfa OBD to see if something wasn't set correctly.

I couldn't find any settings in the BCM specific to SXM. I also verified that the country code was correct in the following 3 locations:

BCM main menu - option - Change Country Code = USA
VehConfig 1: Country Code = USA
ECUConfig 3: Country of Destination = market 2//United States of America

Lastly, I tried sending a refresh signal to my radio while the truck was running by using the SXM web site. That didn't help.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what else I can check or try? Someone suggested pulling the battery cable or fuse to reset the radio again, but I feel like that would take me back to square one.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed a UAQ radio in my 2015 Ram 2500 when the group first started upgrading and it has been working great until recently. I had to swap the battery on my truck and after starting up the truck, the SXM option was gone from the Media section. I did a google search and found that this is common after disconnecting the battery and it should come back in a day or so. Unfortunately, it didn't come back after a couple of weeks, so I decided to check my configuration with Alfa OBD to see if something wasn't set correctly.

I couldn't find any settings in the BCM specific to SXM. I also verified that the country code was correct in the following 3 locations:

Lastly, I tried sending a refresh signal to my radio while the truck was running by using the SXM web site. That didn't help.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what else I can check or try? Someone suggested pulling the battery cable or fuse to reset the radio again, but I feel like that would take me back to square one.
In your settings app is there a section that says Sirius/xm setup or something like that? Even when mine disappeared when disconnecting battery while working on the truck that was still there and said which services I was subscribed to. What software version is your radio? Maybe try updating to see if it comes back? Newest version is 40.1 to my best knowledge.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Mine always came back within 30 minutes or so. So definitely something weird going on with yours.

StoneFree

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 2014 Ram 1500 Bighorn 5.7 with automatic single zone heat. Original radio was the 8.4 with Nav and a SXM subscription. I replaced the radio with a 2019 model 68340153AJ (no nav) so I could get CarPlay. Everything seems to work (waiting for new hub so I haven't tried the CarPlay function yet) except the unit keeps restarting every 4-5 minutes. The back-up camera works and I have the SXM button. When I press the SXM button nothing happens and when I go into settings, I can't set up the SXM. I went into dealer mode and the Software version is 21.11.11, application version is NN-IR-22.64.0-20210318-I0G5. Any suggestions on how to get it from restarting over and over? I also disconnected the battery for 30 minutes and reset the radio to factory defaults.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 2014 Ram 1500 Bighorn 5.7 with automatic single zone heat. Original radio was the 8.4 with Nav and a SXM subscription. I replaced the radio with a 2019 model 68340153AJ (no nav) so I could get CarPlay. Everything seems to work (waiting for new hub so I haven't tried the CarPlay function yet) except the unit keeps restarting every 4-5 minutes. The back-up camera works and I have the SXM button. When I press the SXM button nothing happens and when I go into settings, I can't set up the SXM. I went into dealer mode and the Software version is 21.11.11, application version is NN-IR-22.64.0-20210318-I0G5. Any suggestions on how to get it from restarting over and over? I also disconnected the battery for 30 minutes and reset the radio to factory defaults.
From 22.64 application version you can go straight to 40.1 application version which is the latest. Maybe it's just a software issue. I went from an even earlier version to 28.3 and then 40.1 since you can't go straight to 40.1 unless your on 22.64 or higher. Just have to make sure it's a UAS version and not the UAQ which has Nav. Not 100% certain if the old hub will allow you to update the newer radio,but it's worth trying. I think the hub I got was made for a jeep compass as it was the closest in size to my 2017 Ram 1500 hub. I have the center console that flips up and my hub is in the console.

StoneFree

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the suggestion. I have the same console/hub combination and am waiting for the Compass hub. Can you point me to where I can get 40.1 and how to install it? I can try with the existing hub or wait until I receive and install the correct one.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the suggestion. I have the same console/hub combination and am waiting for the Compass hub. Can you point me to where I can get 40.1 and how to install it? I can try with the existing hub or wait until I receive and install the correct one.
There is a UAQ/UAS update thread on here, there are files for UAQ,but not sure about UAS. I'm sure someone here has the files. Maybe check that thread and see if someone post links to UAS files.

StoneFree

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks again sir! I will check out the thread.
In the meantime, if anyone has the UAS file, please let me know.

StoneFree

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update: I was able to get the latest UAS file from SitKneelBend (Thanks!) and loaded it last night. It was recognized by the old media hub. After loading and restart, it says "hub not supported" which should be corrected once I switch it out for the Compass version. So far it seems to be working without shutting down and restarting every 4-5 minutes.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update: I was able to get the latest UAS file from SitKneelBend (Thanks!) and loaded it last night. It was recognized by the old media hub. After loading and restart, it says "hub not supported" which should be corrected once I switch it out for the Compass version. So far it seems to be working without shutting down and restarting every 4-5 minutes.
That's good

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
In your settings app is there a section that says Sirius/xm setup or something like that? Even when mine disappeared when disconnecting battery while working on the truck that was still there and said which services I was subscribed to. What software version is your radio? Maybe try updating to see if it comes back? Newest version is 40.1 to my best knowledge.
Under settings, it still showed SXM and even had an option to select the stations I want to appear. I tried doing a radio refresh using the radio ID on the screen under settings and it still didn't work. I did the upgrade to 40.1 (I think I was on 39.x before) and it still didn't show up after a few days, but then it magically re-appeared when I got in my truck this morning. I'm not sure what changed or why it took so long, but the SXM button is back on the media screen.

Thanks for the suggestions. Now I just need to figure out how to get offroad pages to show temperatures in degrees F. Everything else on the radio and cluster are in F., but Offroad pages is showing degrees C for some reason.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Under settings, it still showed SXM and even had an option to select the stations I want to appear. I tried doing a radio refresh using the radio ID on the screen under settings and it still didn't work. I did the upgrade to 40.1 (I think I was on 39.x before) and it still didn't show up after a few days, but then it magically re-appeared when I got in my truck this morning. I'm not sure what changed or why it took so long, but the SXM button is back on the media screen.

Thanks for the suggestions. Now I just need to figure out how to get offroad pages to show temperatures in degrees F. Everything else on the radio and cluster are in F., but Offroad pages is showing degrees C for some reason.
Takes about a 1/2 hour or so to reappear after resetting (battery pull). Odd that it took a few days after updating.