Installing OEM backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V__2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes with XAC you should have the blue screen even without cam installed .

I would update the radio software just to make sure you have the camera option available when you get the flash figured out .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks. So the dealer said they flashed the XAC code when the radio was unlocked and confirmed the flash when I brought it up there yesterday. The AlfaOBD software also shows the rear view camera is enabled.

I searched cargurus for a MY2013 truck VIN and found the uconnect 5 version 5.2.20.1 update, went to flash it, but the radio I have is already version 7.3.5.0. Tried flashing anyway. Obviously that didn't work, threw an error (221). So I used a MY2015 VIN to get the 7.3.5.0 version update so my radio will work again.

My question now is: is there a specific software I need to be downloading, or is there only one download per version that includes all possible features? I am downloading from https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/software-update.html

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks. So the dealer said they flashed the XAC code when the radio was unlocked and confirmed the flash when I brought it up there yesterday. The AlfaOBD software also shows the rear view camera is enabled.

I searched cargurus for a MY2013 truck VIN and found the uconnect 5 version 5.2.20.1 update, went to flash it, but the radio I have is already version 7.3.5.0. Tried flashing anyway. Obviously that didn't work, threw an error (221). So I used a MY2015 VIN to get the 7.3.5.0 version update so my radio will work again.

My question now is: is there a specific software I need to be downloading, or is there only one download per version that includes all possible features? I am downloading from https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/software-update.html
This question is better suited for mpgrim2 with M2mods to answer than me .... Mike G with m2mods may chime in here soon , if not i recommend sending him a PM .

MIKE is a very busy fella , so give him a couple days ...trust me he is worth the wait [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Ra2 SW updates need to match the radio year (vs truck year). PM me you phone number and I will call later today when I get back up and see if there's anything you're missing. Lack of blue screen in reverse us the issue.

M² Mods.

V__2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Spoke with Mpgrimm2 (thanks again!) and it seems my radio isn’t playing well with my truck. I am picking up another ra2 radio to see where that gets me.

V__2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sure enough, a different ra2 radio works like a charm. I got the new one from a 2016. Didn’t even have to get this one unlocked; it worked out of the box.

VdubBry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hello all, I had my 2013 working for quite a few years with the kit etc. I started getting just the blue screen when in reverse so I ordered a new camera thinking that was it. Well I replaced it and still get the blue screen only, I'm really missing my backup camera.

What pins should I test for signal and power to determine where I could have the issue. I went over all the connections, plugged / unplugged and still no dice. I have a Lockpick so I may just get a different camera and plug in to that ? Not sure where to go next.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Hello all, I had my 2013 working for quite a few years with the kit etc. I started getting just the blue screen when in reverse so I ordered a new camera thinking that was it. Well I replaced it and still get the blue screen only, I'm really missing my backup camera.

What pins should I test for signal and power to determine where I could have the issue. I went over all the connections, plugged / unplugged and still no dice. I have a Lockpick so I may just get a different camera and plug in to that ? Not sure where to go next.

Did you check fuse 95?
See Post 10.
It has an overall schematic you can use.

Links to 2013 1500 full schematics available in my schematic thread.
My 2013+ Shared Schematics and other OEM Info.

M² Mods.

Last edited:

VdubBry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Did you check fuse 95?
See Post 10.
It has an overall schematic you can use.

Links to 2013 1500 full schematics available in my schematic thread.
My 2013+ Shared Schematics and other OEM Info.

M² Mods.

Ok thank you. I will check the schematic after work today. I am pretty sure I checked Fuse 95 when I replaced the camera but I will check again. I figure something has to be lose or bad connection since I get the blue screen and put in a new camera.

Darren hogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Okay guys I'm in need of some help. I took the box off of my truck in favor of a flat bed. Mounted the oem camera in the back of the flatbed in as close to stock position as possible. The only issue I'm having is that the stock wiring is an 8 pin connector into the tailgate handle, and then a 6 pin connector to the camera. I have obviously eliminated the tailgate handle (and the parking sensors). Is there a harness that will plug my camera into the 8 pin harness on the truck side, skipping the tailgate handle? Or do I have to cut behind the camera connector and splice it into the truck wiring? Thanks in advance!!

Druvbjprm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Hi all, stuck after a rear camera install. All the wiring is done and as long as wire harnesses, etc are good, I’m good to go. Did the AlfaOBD best I could.... wondering if there are SPECIFIC instructions how to program it. I used the “known alfaobd codes” list and cannot find “trailer hitch camera”, otherwise all the other options listed are in “yes” mode now. This is what I configured:
upload_2020-2-9_17-15-5.jpegupload_2020-2-9_17-15-5.jpeg

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Drew,
In the shared BCM configs listed in the op of the AlfaOBD thread there is a 2015 Laramie BCM config file you should use for a comparison and see what you may have missed if no one pops up.

15 Laramie BCM.

Also, is you are using a UAx radio, to may need to pull the radio fuse near the brake booster or disconnect the battery to force a radio reset. Reset isn't complete until xm radio button shows back up.

M² Mods.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Mike, went out to do the fuse reset..... figured I would check it one more time... and it just needed a very long sleep, I guess, because now it works. Done! Thanks!

I just went through the same issue. Installed the cargo harness and used Alphaobd to activate it and it was not showing up as 2 cameras on the 8.4. Went in for dinner and just went out and tried it 3 hours later and it works!

Corey3146

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck is a 2014 Ram 2500 SLT Cummins 5.0 radio. I have acquired an OEM back up camera and handle for free from a friend that had to replace his tailgate (new tailgate he got had the backup cam in it so he gave me the camera and handle from his old tailgate) I installed the cam and handle, traced my wires as best I could with all the info I've gathered from the forum. I have all 8 wires populated to the i550 plug but I definitely only have the 2 wire chassis harness from the tailgate to the plug behind the driver front wheel(C322). But on the other side of the C322 plug i have 4 of the 5 wires that would need to be there for the cam. I also have all 3 wires populated at the i315 plug by the brake pedal and all 3 wires behind the radio. I already turned on the backup camera with alfaobd. So i now get the blue screen when in reverse. My question is can i just extend the wires from the tailgate to the C322 behind the front wheel? I don't see why not but I would need to know what that 5th wire is that I'm missing on the other side of the C322 or is that wire not needed? And is there anywhere else i need to check for missing wires?

Ive attached a picture of the C322 plug and circled in yellow the wire I'm missing.

IMG_0065.jpg

wow after hours of reading and searching. I finally found jeepguy1980s wire schematic. The wire I’m missing is pin 26 “Run Relay Control”. I assume this would be 12 volt power when put into reverse. Does anyone know for sure?

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
My truck is a 2014 Ram 2500 SLT Cummins 5.0 radio. I have acquired an OEM back up camera and handle for free from a friend that had to replace his tailgate (new tailgate he got had the backup cam in it so he gave me the camera and handle from his old tailgate) I installed the cam and handle, traced my wires as best I could with all the info I've gathered from the forum. I have all 8 wires populated to the i550 plug but I definitely only have the 2 wire chassis harness from the tailgate to the plug behind the driver front wheel(C322). But on the other side of the C322 plug i have 4 of the 5 wires that would need to be there for the cam. I also have all 3 wires populated at the i315 plug by the brake pedal and all 3 wires behind the radio. I already turned on the backup camera with alfaobd. So i now get the blue screen when in reverse. My question is can i just extend the wires from the tailgate to the C322 behind the front wheel? I don't see why not but I would need to know what that 5th wire is that I'm missing on the other side of the C322 or is that wire not needed? And is there anywhere else i need to check for missing wires?

Ive attached a picture of the C322 plug and circled in yellow the wire I'm missing.

View attachment 200076

wow after hours of reading and searching. I finally found jeepguy1980s wire schematic. The wire I’m missing is pin 26 “Run Relay Control”. I assume this would be 12 volt power when put into reverse. Does anyone know for sure?

You need wires at 26-30 on the c322 back to the i550 and the 6th wire at the i550 is the ground which goes to the stud at the left wheel well. .. but yes if you have everything else in place and complete the missing section it should work.

I offer a "chassis harness" similar to what Jeepguy made but you may have the inline-body/IP connector (17, 18,19) at the brake pedal on your 2500 (vs i315, pins 18,19,20) . It's important to determine which one you have to verify if to actual have the cab wiring inside. If you have the cargo cam, there may be issues supporting both on a 13-15 8.4 radiod26bb46ec51b321948f207fd1d18a7e5.jpg

M² Mods.

Last edited:

Corey3146

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need wires at 26-30 on the c322 back to the i550 and the 6th wire at the i550 is the ground which goes to the stud at the left wheel well. .. but yes if you have everything else in place and complete the missing section it should work.

I offer a "chassis harness" similar to what Jeepguy made but you may have the inline-body/IP connector (19,20,21) at the brake pedal on your 2500 (vs i315, pins 18,19,20) . It's important to determine which one you have to verify if to actual have the cab wiring inside. If you have the cargo cam, there may be issues supporting both on a 13-15 8.4 radiod26bb46ec51b321948f207fd1d18a7e5.jpg

M² Mods.

I know the 6th wire is the ground from the i550. But on the c322 plug on the “cab side” of the plug only 27-30 is populated. 26 is blank. According to what I’ve read 26 is run relay control pk/yl. I believe this should be going to the 10 amp fuse pk/yl wire in fuse block. So in addition to the chassis harness I think I would need to run a wire from the fuse box to the “Cab side” of the c322.

I will have to check the plug again by my brake pedal to see what I have. Thanks for the response!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Yes, you will need to verify the other side of c322 as well... FCA does sometimes leave that one wire out... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯31f67d87b9f35427dba1bb591e37abea.jpgae82452ce579d0c90fc09e72e64f440f.jpg

M² Mods.

Corey3146

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I definitely have the i315 white plug by the brake pedal! I made my harness today with 18ga wire. I hope to install it this weekend.
Thanks for the help Mpgrimm2!