Long tube Headers and what to do for cats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WamBam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a broken manifold bolt so obviously the best thing to do here is to upgrade to long tubes when that manifold is off. I plan on doing 1 3/4 JBA long tubes but I sadly live in the few counties in my state that requires emissions. While trying to save some money here, my thought was to put the headers on and then reuse my stock cats and have a shop weld the stock cats up in a custom Mid-Pipe and connect it to the back. Would having long tube headers work with stock cats? one of my buddies is convinced that it wouldn't work and I would need to get high flows

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
They would 'work', meaning your truck would start and run but the big oe cats would restrict flow well enough that any performance gain from your tubes would be eliminated.

I'm actually thinking I'm going to gut my high flows, ARH Stainless steel mid pipe w the ARH High flow cats, You want em? I'll trade you for your straight through mid.

From where are you planning to acquire your mid pipe? Not sure JBA offers additional piping and you're getting it w headers or not, but if interested, let's figure out logistics and these high flows can be put to use. I'd like to receive the same quality ss piping in return. Mine are 1.5yrs old, maybe 15k mi. Truck runs great, I've never tested w them,

The only reason I would change from the high flows is I'm getting ready to upgrade my valve train and cylinder heads (initial plan, we'll see) I'm hoping she's gonna have more extreme breathing requirements.

If you want pics to help decide, let me know.
If not wanted, totally cool, I'ma jus gonna gut em.

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Best bet for your circumstance in order to maintain the stock system would be short tube headers as they bolt directly to the stock system. Long tube jba will require an exhaust shop to fully build you a y pipe as you’re well aware. The stock cats are for 2.5” tubing Which jba sells 2.5” collectors with their long tubes for use with stock cats and a custom y pipe. If you just want to prevent future bolts from breaking jba sells direct replacement short tube headers

OP
OP
WamBam

WamBam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They would 'work', meaning your truck would start and run but the big oe cats would restrict flow well enough that any performance gain from your tubes would be eliminated.

I'm actually thinking I'm going to gut my high flows, ARH Stainless steel mid pipe w the ARH High flow cats, You want em? I'll trade you for your straight through mid.

From where are you planning to acquire your mid pipe? Not sure JBA offers additional piping and you're getting it w headers or not, but if interested, let's figure out logistics and these high flows can be put to use. I'd like to receive the same quality ss piping in return. Mine are 1.5yrs old, maybe 15k mi. Truck runs great, I've never tested w them,

The only reason I would change from the high flows is I'm getting ready to upgrade my valve train and cylinder heads (initial plan, we'll see) I'm hoping she's gonna have more extreme breathing requirements.

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................

i sent you a direct message

Saskwatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a broken manifold bolt so obviously the best thing to do here is to upgrade to long tubes when that manifold is off. I plan on doing 1 3/4 JBA long tubes but I sadly live in the few counties in my state that requires emissions. While trying to save some money here, my thought was to put the headers on and then reuse my stock cats and have a shop weld the stock cats up in a custom Mid-Pipe and connect it to the back. Would having long tube headers work with stock cats? one of my buddies is convinced that it wouldn't work and I would need to get high flows

I’ve done this exact setup. 1 3/4 JBA long tube headers and then a custom x pipe system with factory cats welded in. I certainly felt a performance gain, without a tune. Also....no CEL.

Saskwatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any other pictures? I’d love to see this better. I’m planning on fixing up my stock y pipe and rerouting it exactly like you did behind the transfer case instead of under the transmission.

That’s the only one I have at the moment. If you can zoom in on the cats you can see where the fabricators were able to mount them. From there your options are open to do something like I did or y pipe setup.

The reason I did this was because I wasn’t to excited to tune the truck under warranty. It’s been over a year now and I’m close to the warranty mark. The next step, should i choose to go further, would be high flow cats, new PCM and some custome tunes. I was going to hog wild with a build on this truck but since the announcement of the TRX I think I’ll be holding off....for undisclosed reasons :)

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Still no check engine light? Where did you feel the power? Across the rpm or?

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I looked at using the stock cats behind my DT headers but at least in WA, it seemed having custom built Y-pipe gets expensive and you might as well as buy Headers with a matching catted Y-pipe. I sometimes wish, I had CATs to keep the smell down and it helps with the sound deadening but not bad enough to spend more money lol.

I read that AFE is pretty good to use on an untuned truck as there CATs are closer to the header so more heat and less likely to upset the PCM. AFE usually has pretty good sales especially around black Friday. I'd look at the cost of piecing something together vs. buying a complete kit.

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I looked at using the stock cats behind my DT headers but at least in WA, it seemed having custom built Y-pipe gets expensive and you might as well as buy Headers with a matching catted Y-pipe. I sometimes wish, I had CATs to keep the smell down and it helps with the sound deadening but not bad enough to spend more money lol.

I read that AFE is pretty good to use on an untuned truck as there CATs are closer to the header so more heat and less likely to upset the PCM. AFE usually has pretty good sales especially around black Friday. I'd look at the cost of piecing something together vs. buying a complete kit.

Thanks for the feedback.
I found these too. The power increase looks good for shorty's.
https://kooksheaders.com/headers/to...ries-headers-2009-2018-dodgeram-1500-57l-hemi
Specs
https://kooksheaders.com/media/kooks-introduces-torque-series-for-20092018-ram-1500-pickups

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Do a search, someone here just installed those a couple weeks ago. Didn't sound like fun for not much gain. Shorties, being more bunched can be harder to access bolts and in some cases the motor mounts may need adjusted. I would do LTs and piece together CATs or just buy a nice kit. Get somewhere with your money and labor.

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Do a search, someone here just installed those a couple weeks ago. Didn't sound like fun for not much gain. Shorties, being more bunched can be harder to access bolts and in some cases the motor mounts may need adjusted. I would do LTs and piece together CATs or just buy a nice kit. Get somewhere with your money and labor.

Thank you! I found it. He says maybe 5hp by seat of the pants. Sadly not what Kooks says. Another CAI pipe dream numbers? Unknown. But, at that price not worth the gamble. Thank you