Looking for new Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaptCurt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, I am looking for new struts/shocks for my 2011 Longhorn. Not looking to get it lifted just solid shock for a better ride. Also wondering if I need to replace the coil springs aswell. please let me know if you guys have any recommendations. I don't think my use warrants getting Bilstiens but I have heard good things about them but if there is something that will fill my needs while not breaking the bank let me know.
I put shocks and struts on my (Gen4) 09 Ram 1500 quadcab sport from 1A Auto. My mechanic installed for me, they work great, and he said that they fit perfectly. They were a good price from what I remember also. I have 1000lb airbags inside of my coils which I put in to keep rear end level, when I was towing a 33' travel trailer between 2011-2017.

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ya the rear looks simple enough but the front is the issue.
correct, just to make life easier you want to remove the bottom bolt on your front swar bar end link. it will remove tension when you jack things up and droop the suspension. jack it up all the way by the frame, set it on jack stands, then use your jack under the lower control arm to give you control. if you've watched videos on this, i'm sure you've seen the ratchet straps over the hub bolts. i'm paranoid, so like to use both then only lower/losen one at a time so i have nearly 0 chance of letting the cv move too far.

i've done this a few times now... 5100's all around, assembled struts myself with a scary $50 amazon compressor (felt like i was going to die as i watched the compressor shafts bend). had weird noises, didn't trust myself... took the front apart and reassembled. still weird noises. blew a cv by getting too close to it the second time, had to replace that (not the same but similar disassembly)... finally went to 6112/5160 combo fully assembled. finally happy. not an expert, but enough hard-won experience to say it's not a bad job just take your time and go slow (no need to meet anyone else's time estimates).

Edward Hands

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-Torque
Get Bilstein B6 4600 stock replacements. They will ride better, have better control and last way longer than the originals.
They are less expensive than the heavier duty 5100 & 6100 series. Those are for guys that have bigger tires, lift kits, go off-roading a lot and tow heavy loads often.
If that's not you then go with the B6 4600
They are far more superior than what your truck came with.

Don't worry about the springs.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Hello, I am looking for new struts/shocks for my 2011 Longhorn. Not looking to get it lifted just solid shock for a better ride. Also wondering if I need to replace the coil springs aswell. please let me know if you guys have any recommendations. I don't think my use warrants getting Bilstiens but I have heard good things about them but if there is something that will fill my needs while not breaking the bank let me know.
I used Bilstein 5100's all the way around. Much better ride than OEM to me. With mine being OEM and being first shock change the threads on both front and back were rusted just enough (and I tried several methods to get them off) I ended up just cutting them off where the nut threads on the top of the shock. On my 2500 rear shocks removing the wheel well liner made it much easier for me to get to that top nut on those shocks. Not sure that is the same as 1500, so will let others chime in on that part. Other than that I didn't need to remove anything else while installing them.

As far as alignment, I had already had an alignment a few months prior to replacing the shocks and was still pulling right a little. Between replacing the shocks and new tires later, my truck does now drive much better as far as being straight. So the alignment part I think "depends". For my series of events I thought the alignment shop did a terrible job, but in the end they did make it a lot better. Just had some other items causing the right pull issue.

Hope this helps someone.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most local auto parts stores will lend(pay then refunded when returned) or rent out the tools for a job like the spring compressor...I did mine that way.

Last edited: