Looking for opinions on which batrery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2021 warlock looks like my battery will die soon hopefully it will last until the end of the year. I have been looking at h8 agm batteries. I have narrowed it down to either interstate mtx-49/h8 or duralast agm platinum. Wanted to see what people think. Thanks

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow, that's not a very long life. Have you had a battery load test done on it? Make sure the terminals are good and clean. But then, I guess you're in the heat where batteries struggle and it's been real hot this summer there. What's the price difference?

The lead acid Interstate battery which I took out of my skid steer last July was 14 years old almost to the day when it up and died. Now, we're in a very optimal battery life climate too. Interstate doesn't *make* their batteries, but they are mfg'd to their specs which include new materials. I bought another one. For all we know, the duralast could be the same or very similar battery produced by the same company (Clarios??).

Check the weights of each battery per their specs and buy the heavier one ...if you're going for longevity. If they're produced by the same company and weigh the same then it's probably a toss-up. Is there an Interstate battery store near you? :waytogo:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mb7640

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow, that's not a very long life. Have you had a battery load test done on it? Make sure the terminals are good and clean. But then, I guess you're in the heat where batteries struggle and it's been real hot this summer there. What's the price difference?

The lead acid Interstate battery which I took out of my skid steer last July was 14 years old almost to the day when it up and died. Now, we're in a very optimal battery life climate too. Interstate doesn't *make* their batteries, but they are mfg'd to their specs which include new materials. I bought another one. For all we know, the duralast could be the same or very similar battery produced by the same company (Clarios??).

Check the weights of each battery per their specs and buy the heavier one ...if you're going for longevity. If they're produced by the same company and weigh the same then it's probably a toss-up. Is there an Interstate battery store near you? :waytogo:
Yes thats normal for here in phoenix area 2 maybe 3 years if your lucky lol. Been here for 20 years and on average batteries last 2 years. I will check out the weight. The specs look the same. Yes there is a interstate store nearby. I remember those days when batteries lasted 19 or more years that back in western n.y. where I grew up. The price difference is nothing interstate is $30 more which is not a big deal. I know they are not made like they use to.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Since you are in Phoneix, it won't matter whether you buiy a top batterry or a cheapie, the heat will kill off either one just about as fast. If you have a Costco, that is where I would be buying my batteries. All my vehicles have Costco, including my riding mower and quad.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a duralast gold. It has been on mine for 5 years now. My stocker made it 7ish years.

OP
OP
Mb7640

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since you are in Phoneix, it won't matter whether you buiy a top batterry or a cheapie, the heat will kill off either one just about as fast. If you have a Costco, that is where I would be buying my batteries. All my vehicles have Costco, including my riding mower and quad.
I was thinking the same thing but a coworker says he has gotten 4 years from some top tier batteries he likes duralast but other coworkers say interstate lol. Thats why I figured I would see what people here think

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I was thinking the same thing but a coworker says he has gotten 4 years from some top tier batteries he likes duralast but other coworkers say interstate lol. Thats why I figured I would see what people here think
Up here, Costco has by far the best battery warranty. We don't have the heat issues you do and I typically get more than 8 years out of their batteries, which are also a lot less money than the other options. The more expensive ones seem to last about 9 years, so the extra up front cost doesn't really payoff and at 8 years I still get a 25% credit against the replacement battery.

Kirkland Signature Automotive (flooded battery)​

0-to48 months - Free replacement
49-to66 months - 50% refund based on purchase price
67-to100 months - 25% refund based on purchase price

Energizer AGM & Unbranded AGM​

0-to60 months - Full refund based on purchase price
61-to80 months - 50% refund based on purchase price
81-to100 months - 25% refund based on purchase price

OP
OP
Mb7640

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Up here, Costco has by far the best battery warranty. We don't have the heat issues you do and I typically get more than 8 years out of their batteries, which are also a lot less money than the other options. The more expensive ones seem to last about 9 years, so the extra up front cost doesn't really payoff and at 8 years I still get a 25% credit against the replacement battery.
Here I can go to the interstate store they say there warrenty is no pro rated and its 36 month. The duralast is the same just at autozone instead of a speciality store. All the batteries I have seen out here are basically $250

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the interest of saving your money check out Walmart. I know it’s Wally World but their EverStart batteries are made by Johnson Controls, same company that makes Interstate. An Interstate and an EverStart look identical and weigh about the same. They carry both H7 and H8 AGM batteries with a 4 year warranty. That’s a better warranty than Interstate for way less. We all know Walmart takes anything back with returns so no hoops to jump through with overnight load tests like the car parts chains put you through. I just replaced my H7 stock battery in the spring with a EverStart AGM for $180.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine

Interstate battery, $90 bucks less at Costco, same 36 month warranty. The non -AGM interstate is $119 and has the same warranty. You can buy two of these for the same price as one you are looking at.​

2021 Ram 2500 V8 6.4L Standard​

usa_1624800_h794ragm.jpg

Your Battery Information

Item Number1624800
Group SizeH7 (94R) AGM
CCA850
CA1000
Voltage12
RC140
Ah80
Length12 7/16
Width6 15/16
Height7 1/2
Weight52
Termination CodeTOP
Wet/DryD

Exclusive For Costco

Group Size: H7 (94R) AGM​

$169.99*​

*Refundable core charge of $15.00 not included

36 Month Limited Warranty

Please visit your local Costco Wholesale as availability may vary.

usa_1624794_h794r.jpg

Due to HAZMAT compliance requirements, shipping is currently unavailable for automotive batteries.

Your Battery Information

Item Number1624794
Group SizeH7 (94R)
Voltage12
RC140
Ah80
Length12 3/8
Width6 7/8
Height8 3/4
Weight46.7
Termination CodeTOP
Wet/DryW

Exclusive For Costco

Group Size: H7 (94R)​

$119.99*​

*Refundable core charge of $15.00 not included

36 Month Limited Warranty

Please visit your local Costco Wholesale as availability may vary.

OP
OP
Mb7640

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the interest of saving your money check out Walmart. I know it’s Wally World but their EverStart batteries are made by Johnson Controls, same company that makes Interstate. An Interstate and an EverStart look identical and weigh about the same. They carry both H7 and H8 AGM batteries with a 4 year warranty. That’s a better warranty than Interstate for way less. We all know Walmart takes anything back with returns so no hoops to jump through with overnight load tests like the car parts chains put you through. I just replaced my H7 stock battery in the spring with a EverStart AGM for $180.
I will definitely look into this since they are made by the same company. I was not aware of this I have seen them at Walmart just figured it was some no name cheap battery. My fear is that the cheap battery may only last 1 year instead of 2 or maybe 3.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
If in need of new battery people may want to research lithium batteries. When my '89 Dodge Diplomat Police needed new battery someone suggested lithium to me. The old battery was an Interstate and weighed over 50 lbs. I got a lithium that was under ten pounds, stronger in every way and average life for them is over ten years. YES MORE EXPENSIVE. Mine came with a battery charger and it's several years old now going strong. No acid build up, and so strange to hold a car battery with one hand. The charger isn't much bigger than a cell phone.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I bought my eco-diesel Interstate battery at Costco

Then they told me that they do not install batteries

It was a Sunday, all the garages were closed, so i had no choice but to go the Firestone.
Firestone told me that because i did not buy the battery from them, they tack on a surcharge.
I asked if they had the same battery in stock, they said that they would have the exact battery at noon on Monday.
Then i told then to look up my name & see that i had purchased 2 batteries from them, within recent history.

Then they asked if i wanted the battery installed by them, i nodded yes & they charged me the surcharge, before they would touch the battery.

OP
OP
Mb7640

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought my eco-diesel Interstate battery at Costco

Then they told me that they do not install batteries

It was a Sunday, all the garages were closed, so i had no choice but to go the Firestone.
Firestone told me that because i did not buy the battery from them, they tack on a surcharge.
I asked if they had the same battery in stock, they said that they would have the exact battery at noon on Monday.
Then i told then to look up my name & see that i had purchased 2 batteries from them, within recent history.

Then they asked if i wanted the battery installed by them, i nodded yes & they charged me the surcharge, before they would touch the battery.
You do not install your own battery?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yes thats normal for here in phoenix area 2 maybe 3 years if your lucky lol. Been here for 20 years and on average batteries last 2 years. I will check out the weight. The specs look the same. Yes there is a interstate store nearby. I remember those days when batteries lasted 19 or more years that back in western n.y. where I grew up. The price difference is nothing interstate is $30 more which is not a big deal. I know they are not made like they use to.
Here shows to the why, battery life versus temp charted out. Personally I like interstate for no particular reason then it's all I buy and they last and last, well here in mild ca maybe anything would.

ity-battery-life-compared-at-different-temperature.jpg

OP
OP
Mb7640

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here shows to the why, battery life versus temp charted out. Personally I like interstate for no particular reason then it's all I buy and they last and last, well here in mild ca maybe anything would.

View attachment 525714
I have been leaning more towards interstate. I looked at the Walmart brand they do not sell the agm h8 anywhere nearme. Looks like it could have been a good choice since both are made by same company. My battery after 24 hours is at 12.5 so I know its on its last leg . Maybe will last unitl end of the year if im lucky

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have been leaning more towards interstate. I looked at the Walmart brand they do not sell the agm h8 anywhere nearme. Looks like it could have been a good choice since both are made by same company. My battery after 24 hours is at 12.5 so I know its on its last leg . Maybe will last unitl end of the year if im lucky
I know for some odd reason costco sells h8 interstate for cheaper then h7 interstate, despite the h8 having more capacity and cca. I'm not sure dealing with what you are dealing with h8 will last longer, but it might last a little longer, for people in cold places h8 for sure is the way to go, and in hot places no downside if you can get it to fit in the tray. Curious how long you'll get. My soft oem brand got 7 years, now my replacement interstate is somewhere around the 6th year and no signs of slowing.