Oil filter 2020 6.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Really dumb question folks, but is the oil filter part# the same on the 6.4's from previous years? I am (was) just about to drop the break in oil on my 2020, but I can't see the part # on the filter to make sure before I do. I have a few of the Fram XG10060 left from my 2015- that's the same as the 2019, so I can only assume the 2020 would be identical. Can't seem to find the answer- or I'm just dumb.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
Really dumb question folks, but is the oil filter part# the same on the 6.4's from previous years? I am (was) just about to drop the break in oil on my 2020, but I can't see the part # on the filter to make sure before I do. I have a few of the Fram XG10060 left from my 2015- that's the same as the 2019, so I can only assume the 2020 would be identical. Can't seem to find the answer- or I'm just dumb.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
I went to the parts counter because I was having trouble finding the part number earlier on, Mopar had changed the part number but the item was no different at all. Just as long as it is
4892339AB or AA. Either way I think it says MO-339 on it. At least that is what the parts guy told me...

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I use the basic wix 57060. 12 pack through rockauto is $5.69/each.

View attachment 202018
I got these Fram Ultra on sale in the city so I grabbed a bunch- worked out to $7.50 Canuckabucks each. Have 2 left over that I will use up, but our little mom and pop parts store gets the Wix XP which I hear are just as good so I will get them next. I usually order all my oil and filters at once in the spring for the machinery- so he has them on the list too. He also gets me the PUP 0W-40 for cheaper than I get at the dealership in the city (even with my discount). Gotta support the little guys!

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had thought about the K&N a while back but they are a) too pricey to get here and b) I got burned by a K&N filter a number of years ago on my trans-am and swore them off. I understand their quality is excellent, but those two things have kept me away.

I can't even explain the kind of mental gymnastics and anxiety it took for me to actually consider the Fram filters I have now after the orange can of death episode of years past [emoji1787]

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
For those that did their own first oil change on a 6.4 Hemi, did you have to use tools to get the filter off? I have had good luck with hand removing filters as long as the access is good, but I’ve also never done the first oil change on a new vehicle.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
For those that did their own first oil change on a 6.4 Hemi, did you have to use tools to get the filter off? I have had good luck with hand removing filters as long as the access is good, but I’ve also never done the first oil change on a new vehicle.

You'll probably be swearing at the gorilla who tightened the oil filter at the factory. Many people report crushing the first filter when taking it off. You might have hands with some major robogrip but have a strap wrench on hand for the change.

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
You'll probably be swearing at the gorilla who tightened the oil filter at the factory. Many people report crushing the first filter when taking it off. You might have hands with some major robogrip but have a strap wrench on hand for the change.
Yes, I just did my first oil change on my 6.4 at 1000 miles. My oil was surprising black, so I’m glad I did it early. I actually broke my oil filter wrench, and crushed the oil filter getting it off. I’m pretty sure they do that so people give up and take it to the dealer for oil changes. The oil filter is even stamped with factory installed...

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I’m pretty sure they do that so people give up and take it to the dealer for oil changes. The oil filter is even stamped with factory installed...
If I had to take a guess, the oil filter gasket "burns" on due to no lube on the gasket and it spun on with basically a torque calibrated impact wrench.
You find a bunch of parts on the vehicle will either be a different color or part number if it's installed at the factory during assembly compared to the OEM replacement part.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got these Fram Ultra on sale in the city so I grabbed a bunch- worked out to $7.50 Canuckabucks each. Have 2 left over that I will use up, but our little mom and pop parts store gets the Wix XP which I hear are just as good so I will get them next. I usually order all my oil and filters at once in the spring for the machinery- so he has them on the list too. He also gets me the PUP 0W-40 for cheaper than I get at the dealership in the city (even with my discount). Gotta support the little guys!
I do the same with my local guy but he can’t get PUP. I go with Mobile 1 since he can get in bulk. Figured if it can’t run on Mobile 1 then I’ll get a different brand that can. I spend about 2 grand every spring do all the maintenance myself with all the farm equipment, boats and ATVs. I would be scared to know what all that would cost paying someone!

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I do the same with my local guy but he can’t get PUP. I go with Mobile 1 since he can get in bulk. Figured if it can’t run on Mobile 1 then I’ll get a different brand that can. I spend about 2 grand every spring do all the maintenance myself with all the farm equipment, boats and ATVs. I would be scared to know what all that would cost paying someone!
In these weird times I am making extra effort to dump money into the local small shops- even if it's costing me a bit more. The way I look at it, that barrel of oil or pallet of parts might be the difference to them eating a good meal or not. Sometimes I have to wait a bit for parts, but at least I know I am helping keep his doors open after this pandemic is over.

But I gotta draw the line at paying somebody 100+ an hour to service the machinery for seeding [emoji1787]