P2167 Throttle/Pedal Pos Sensor E Maximum Stop Perf

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

luisprado77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Help please, I've never had any problems before with my 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 5.7L Hemi. I have a red lightning bolt on my dash and I read the codes and it gave me the P2167 Throttle/Pedal Pos Sensor E Maximum Stop Performance.

The problem is that I press on the gas pedal/accelerator and nothing happens. The car will not go forward or the RPM's will not go up.

At first I looked around and thought it might be the throttle body, so I took that out and got it completely cleaned up but still no go.

Can anyone help me or give me some ideas?

Thank you.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Help please, I've never had any problems before with my 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 5.7L Hemi. I have a red lightning bolt on my dash and I read the codes and it gave me the P2167 Throttle/Pedal Pos Sensor E Maximum Stop Performance.

The problem is that I press on the gas pedal/accelerator and nothing happens. The car will not go forward or the RPM's will not go up.

At first I looked around and thought it might be the throttle body, so I took that out and got it completely cleaned up but still no go.

Can anyone help me or give me some ideas?

Thank you.

Check the wiring harness going to the throttle body. When you cleaned the TB did you use BRAKE FLUID as is required and NOT TB Cleaner? Did you follow the reset procedure as required when you reinstalled the TB. I have included the procedure.

THROTTLE BODY RESET PROCEDURE

If the throttle body has been replaced, or removed, cleaned, and reinstalled, the following procedure must be performed:

a. Disconnect negative battery cable from battery. Leave cable disconnected for approximately 90 seconds.

b. Reconnect negative battery cable to battery.

c. Turn ignition switch ON, but DO NOT crank engine.

d. Leave ignition switch ON for a minimum of 10 seconds. This will allow PCM to learn throttle body electrical parameters.

e. Turn ignition switch to OFF.

f. Turn ignition switch to START position, crank engine normally.

OP
OP
L

luisprado77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did clean the TB per brake fluid instructions but I had not tried the reset procedure. I did try the reset procedure and still no response from the gas pedal and my red lighting bolt is still on.

Is there something else I can check or clean or change?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I would check for any loose wires or connections behind the gas pedal. From what I've read this code is is caused by a bad APP sensor and requires replacement of the pedal assembly.

OP
OP
L

luisprado77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I checked and found no loose wires. Is it possible for a throttle body to go bad? I had my wife pressing on the gas while I was listening to the TB and it was not opening and I could hear like a sparkling sound from the sensor area on the TB.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Yes a TB can go bad but it would be giving you a different code. p2167 is specific for the accelerator pedal. If you take it to a dealer they can use a scan tool to see exactly what the TPS in the TB and APP sensors are doing. If that is the only code you're getting and there are no loose wires then I would think it's a bad APP sensor.

OP
OP
L

luisprado77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, I changed out the TB and I put in a new accelerator pedal and I still have no response from the truck when pressing the pedal. I was told now that the truck needs to go thru a ETC relearn function. My question is there any way around this at home or do I need to take it to the dealership?

Thank you.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Everything that I've come across says you need to use a scan tool to do the forced relearn.....i.e. take it to the Dealership.