Rear Axle Assembly Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shortman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello Forum Member....

I'm not a frequent poster on here but more of a lurker seeking info BUT in the case of today I am in need of some advise....

A little back story.....

I have a 2014 1500 Sport 4x4.... My truck is, basically stock, with only a 2'' leveling kit / lift and some aftermarket 20'' wheels that I run the stock tire size on.... I have a PPE Pan on the transmission and rear diff cover from Moe's Performance.... The rear end has 3.92 gears.... My truck has 111,000 miles on it..... I pull a small single axle camper a few times a year (around 5k pounds loaded)....

So now the issue..... About 2 weeks ago I noticed a slight whine in the drive train at slow speeds.... My tires roar too much for it to be heard at higher speeds so I put the rear up on jack stands and had the wife keep the speed around 30mph while I crawled under to listen.... Sure enough it was the Pinion starting to make noise.... I drained the fluid and it had some debris in there so I put fresh fluid in and dropped it off at the local shop I've been dealing with for 20+ years.... That Monday the owner of the shop (again whom I've known and trusted for A LONG time) calls me and says he totally agrees with me that it's the pinion bearing BUT he no longer has anyone on staff who he would trust to do the bearing swaps and set up the rear end afterwards... So he offered to install a complete reman Axle for a discounted price (which was still wayyy to expensive for my taste).... After that call I started calling around to other shops and found one that said they will do the work ONLY to have them tell me after they get the truck they won't do it if I do just the bearings without replacing the ring and pinion gear too.... The price they quoted me was higher than the reman unit my buddy offered and still to high for me.... So I ended up buying a complete used unit from a 2021 Classic with very low miles on it for a fair price.... I threw that in the truck last night and its smooth and quite so my issue has been solved....

Now with all that said.... I do not want the old unit sitting around my house so do you all know of a recycler? I'm am located in North Georgia, 50 miles North of the city..... OR.... Maybe one of you guys want one to rebuild?

Lemme know and I REALLY appreciate this site and the info shared by the members here... I have been a member for 10+ years.....

TC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did exactly the same thing to solve a whining rear end with 146k miles. Found a used axle with only 50k miles at local junkyard. Problem solved. Salvage yard offered $15 for my old axle. Good luck finding a recycler or scrap yard.

OP
OP
S

shortman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wanted to throw out an update on this.....

My local metal scrap yard will take the axle.... I get $6/per 100lbs which is better than nothing so I'm gonna take it there..... Do you guys think yanking the axle shafts out would be worth my time? I have the complete assembly sitting on jack stands now so it would be pretty easy..... I would yank the limited slip too if I had the tool that goes thru the axle to release the side tension....