Recommendations on New tires for Ram 3500 dually towing 18,000+ lbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smlake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 Turbo HO
Need help on deciding what new tires to put on my 2022 Ram 3500 dually towing 18,000 lbs +

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I know there's threads on this but I replaced the junk tires at 20k mi and now have 47k mi. I haul everything from my 13k 5er to my loaded 32' gooseneck that comes in at 30k at times. The Falken Wildpeaks barely show wear and have been great. They're my recommendation if you need a decently quiet all-terrain.

alanjg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
the ones sold at CDJR lasted me for about 80k miles... $220 each

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Bridgestone Duravis R-500HD. Closed shoulder design resists cupping and odd wear on the front, quiet, and wear like iron.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Have them on my 2500 been a great tire.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I went with Nitto Dura Grapplers. Had them swapped out at the dealership, they had the best price. Great on road all season tires.

Mittens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12v Cummins
From all my reading, I narrowed it down to General Grabber HTS60, Cooper Discover HT3, and Yokohama Geolander H/T G056. Of course I ignored that and settled on Falken Wildpeak H/T02 despite it not having a single review online. I've had great luck with Falken in the past and am hoping it stacks up to the HT3. Their previous generation HT tire was bad. The HTS60 is byfar the internet's favorite. It's real tough to ascertain a tire's hauling capability cause I imagine the rating sites are severely biased toward daily driver type folks.

The Wrangler Workhorse HT should probably be on the list, but Goodyear has an unproportional amount of hate online. It seems that they have a QC problem. That's probably just a brand loyalist (disloyalist?) type thing tho. My truck came with Wranglers. They started getting lumpy at 13 years old, no rotations (evidenced by tread wear), but unknown mileage. I'd probably say those were good tires.

Edit: this list is specifically avoiding any snow or cold type tires.
Tires.jpg

Last edited:

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I was running the Falken Wildpeaks. Time to change. My tire man recommended Continental TerrainContact H/T. I read the current very high ratings, plus they are snow rated, so I went with his advice. Been very satisfied.

Ramfanski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was running the Falken Wildpeaks. Time to change. My tire man recommended Continental TerrainContact H/T. I read the current very high ratings, plus they are snow rated, so I went with his advice. Been very satisfied.
That’s the tire I am looking at for my next set. I’m interested in how they actually do in the snow.

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with Nitto Dura Grapplers. Had them swapped out at the dealership, they had the best price. Great on road all season tires.

Great tire! Hold air pressure, wear evenly, quiet, great at stopping!

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Great tire! Hold air pressure, wear evenly, quiet, great at stopping!

Reading your post just reminded me. I can't remember exact date but it's been a couple if not 3 years since I got the Falken Wildpeaks. I run 75 front and 60 rear in my duallies. This is the present pressures. I've never had to add air in the 24k+ miles. And can't really detect wear. Pretty Wild, in comparison to my wife's truck that needs air every oil change.
Screenshot_20230709-133946_Uconnect.jpg

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Reading your post just reminded me. I can't remember exact date but it's been a couple if not 3 years since I got the Falken Wildpeaks. I run 75 front and 60 rear in my duallies. This is the present pressures. I've never had to add air in the 24k+ miles. And can't really detect wear. Pretty Wild, in comparison to my wife's truck that needs air every oil change.
View attachment 524281
"I run 75 front and 60 rear in my duallies."

Is that normal for dualilies??

The usual is more pressure in the rear, less in the front. e.g. mine is not a dually but 60 front 80 rear.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score

The usual is more pressure in the rear, less in the front. e.g. mine is not a dually but 60 front 80 rear.
With the Cummins, my dually put 5400 lbs on the steer axle. I always kept the fronts 75-80. I ran 50 in the rear when empty, and 65 loaded up.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
That’s the tire I am looking at for my next set. I’m interested in how they actually do in the snow.
Sorry, I have misspoken because I was misinformed.
The Continental TerrainContact H/Ts do not have the snowflake symbol on the tire. So, they are not snow rated.

They have TractionPlus™ Technology and their tire symbol is similar to the snowflake symbol. Continental says it gives "sure-footed traction in dry, wet, and wintry conditions, including light snow." All very misleading.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.

You got it backwards. Recommended psi when GVW is at 14k#'s,
it is 80 Front, 65 Rear. The rears work together, so they do not need to be at 80 like the front is recommended.
20220816_061104.jpg

Drjmg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins HO
Hello all. Found this thread on a google search and wanted to jump in.

I had a 2016 2500 Limited 6.7L which I loved. Used it as my daily driver and towed our 38ft Grand Design travel trailer. We live in the Orlando area and went as far as Niagra but never made it out west. Family is outgrowing the travel trailer (our 2 boys are 15 and 12 and quite large) so thinking we're gonna need to move up to a 5th wheel at some point. Anyways, between the payload issues, Rambox, and 6'4" bed, I knew my truck couldn't handle the type of 5th wheel we will want.

So I took the plunge last week. Now the proud owner of a 2024 Limited Dually. Got the H/O Cummins with the Aisin, air suspension, 5th wheel prep, the works. Gonna be a bit of an adjustment for sure, especially as a daily driver.

Sure seems like the Nexens it came with are not going to last very long. And recommendations beyond what's already been posted?

235/80R17s