Shorty Headers Owners - Temp Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G0S7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eagle
For those of you out there running shorty headers, I have been trying to research rather the temperature differences are negligible? (stock iron manifold vs shorty header)

Anyone notice heat soak in traffic or degradation in performance daily driving? Higher average IAT? I'm really curious if Jet Hot or Header Armor is even worth the trouble. 392s practically have shorty headers stock after all.

I currently have a set of PGM shorty headers stainless, ARP bolts and Felpro gaskets I'm planning to install this month. Passenger side mani is warped and leaks.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
For those of you out there running shorty headers, I have been trying to research rather the temperature differences are negligible? (stock iron manifold vs shorty header)

Anyone notice heat soak in traffic or degradation in performance daily driving? Higher average IAT? I'm really curious if Jet Hot or Header Armor is even worth the trouble. 392s practically have shorty headers stock after all.

I currently have a set of PGM shorty headers stainless, ARP bolts and Felpro gaskets I'm planning to install this month. Passenger side mani is warped and leaks.
Wrapping them with header wrap will make a noticable differance in under hood heat. Even if you think the wraps not a good idea,which is an old wifes tail,i'd rather replace a set of headers every 10 years,then fix underhood wiring / hoses etc,every few years that degrade from the heat the headers radiate.You're call,but underhood heat kills wiring / hoses etc.,so anything you can do to reduce it,usually works in your favor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G0S7

G0S7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eagle
I don't really have any reservations regarding header wrap, just not something I care to use with Header Armor and Jet Hot coatings offering much longer lasting results for not much more money. The thing is, people I know utilizing either are running FBO long tube 500hp+ applications or are boosted (and everything is wrapped or jacketed anyways)

So I'm curious if the ceramic coating or HA is overkill on such a low output NA motor. I understand the larger surface area of the shorties will increase under hood temps, but seems no one on any platform has ever reported by how much.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Uncoated AFR shorties in Phoenix AZ here… no noticeable difference.

I don’t even break 190° idling in 110° ambient. Honestly I don’t even break 200° unless towing or putting my foot in it.

I’m sure my under hood temps are higher but again it’s a truck not a road race car.

I may wrap / coat them when I take them off again.

Last edited:

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wrapping them with header wrap will make a noticable differance in under hood heat. Even if you think the wraps not a good idea,which is an old wifes tail,i'd rather replace a set of headers every 10 years,then fix underhood wiring / hoses etc,every few years that degrade from the heat the headers radiate.You're call,but underhood heat kills wiring / hoses etc.,so anything you can do to reduce it,usually works in your favor.
It's also a great way to trap moisture in there and have them rust out

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It's also a great way to trap moisture in there and have them rust out
That's an old wifes tail.Any moisture in the wrap is going to evaporate with-in minutes from exhaust heat.
My JBA midpipe after being double wrapped for years,not really even any surface rust.
My JBA's are 10 years old,and have been double wrapped right from day 1,and they're still in pretty good shape yet.

Attachments

• DSCN4016.JPG
    DSCN4016.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN4019.JPG
    DSCN4019.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN4020.JPG
    DSCN4020.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 7

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I don't really have any reservations regarding header wrap, just not something I care to use with Header Armor and Jet Hot coatings offering much longer lasting results for not much more money. The thing is, people I know utilizing either are running FBO long tube 500hp+ applications or are boosted (and everything is wrapped or jacketed anyways)

So I'm curious if the ceramic coating or HA is overkill on such a low output NA motor. I understand the larger surface area of the shorties will increase under hood temps, but seems no one on any platform has ever reported by how much.
The long tubes on my wifes 6.4 Challenger are both coated and wrapped,and you can put your hand on them when the cars idling,you can't do that with just a coated header.Even on my trucks long tubes which are 10 years old,and the wrap has degraded some from new,i can still put my hands on the primaries when it's idling.
I never checked underhood temps on the car,but the wrapped headers do appear to put less heat into my underhood nitrous fuel cell,then the factory shorties did,and it basically sits right above the drivers side header,right beside the brake booster,under the cowl.

Attachments

• IMG_4430 (2).JPG
    IMG_4430 (2).JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5058 (2).JPG
    IMG_5058 (2).JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I'd ceramic coat the headers. I have experience with ceramic on both exhaust manifolds and headers.
I use Polymer Dynamics here in Houston.
Carl Benton is the fella's name that owns and operates the place and he's been there for decades.
11211 Neeshaw
Houston, Texas, 77065
Phone is (888)765-9396

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Joey has a decent video that's worth a couple minutes to watch. Throw in the fact your knock sensors love wrapped headers,as it reduces the header ping,that they can pick up,and pull timing on you. I prefer coating them,and then wrapping them,as i think it does the best job of reducing underhood heat from headers

Last edited:
OP
OP
G0S7

G0S7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eagle
Uncoated AFR shorties in Phoenix AZ here… no noticeable difference.

I don’t even break 190° idling in 110° ambient. Honestly I don’t even break 200° unless towing or putting my foot in it.

I’m sure my under hood temps are higher but again it’s a truck not a road race car.

I may wrap / coat them when I take them off again.

Good info, kind of what I expected. Prime environment for this topic too!

I'd ceramic coat the headers. I have experience with ceramic on both exhaust manifolds and headers.
I use Polymer Dynamics here in Houston.
Carl Benton is the fella's name that owns and operates the place and he's been there for decades.
11211 Neeshaw
Houston, Texas, 77065
Phone is (888)765-9396

Thank you for the reference. I'm in SATX and will try to reach out this upcoming week. Would like to know if they offer a better price than Jet Hot. I definitely would prefer shipping my parts to Houston opposed to NC. May even drive to Houston depending on their turnaround!

Seems you guys have some impressive results with wrap and coatings. Will definitely consider a combo like this.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good info, kind of what I expected. Prime environment for this topic too!

Thank you for the reference. I'm in SATX and will try to reach out this upcoming week. Would like to know if they offer a better price than Jet Hot. I definitely would prefer shipping my parts to Houston opposed to NC. May even drive to Houston depending on their turnaround!

Seems you guys have some impressive results with wrap and coatings. Will definitely consider a combo like this.
I never quibbled prices for the great quality work I've had done with PolyDyne or any other local Mom/Pop businesses I've had done in my community. That doesn't mean I'm foolish with my money, but I also value great craftsmanship and keeping the economy here, local.
We just lost one of our locals to retirement. He was from Detroit and owned a machine shop around the corner, aptly named "Motor City Machine Works".
The truly gifted craftsmen are either retiring or dying around us, sadly.

When I was a young puppy in this business, I worked at a Ford dealership in the West University area of Houston. I was surrounded by a bunch of men in the service workshop who were of the "Greatest Generation" era. These men were all WW2 and/or Korean War Vets. They'd all grown up in the Great Depression.

Their work ethics were stunning. Many were of Germanic heritage, some from Northern Europe lineages.
When they worked on a car, it was fixed CORRECTLY the first time. They showed great patience with us young whipper-snappers who were up and coming recipients of "The Torch".

They modeled pride in workmanship, cleanliness and order in the process of diagnostics assessments, through to the finished repair. They PROUDLY put their name on the work that they performed. metaphorically.

These men, along with the influences of my prior mentor, a Rolls Royce Master, instilled excellence, pride, and the willingness to ask when one needed help, offer it when the need was there, and have great "Team" effort.

Their collective skillsets were absolutely phenomenal. It lit the fire that drives my passion to this day for doing accurate and competent repair work, these nearly 50 years later.

My Grandfather(s) were both men who worked with their hands and also contributed to attitudes ABOVE "That'll do" work ethics, so prevalent today.

I cannot ever remember any one of these men in my past possessing an EGO attitude about these values. They DID instill the inner satisfaction of doing a job in a right way as an element of fulfillment in this life.

Last edited: