The future looks pretty sad.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
HEMI: I also find, if my tool batteries get too hot, like out in extreme heat, they will not charge till they cool a bit. You probably not got that issue in MA< but in TX U can, you gotta remember to not rest your battery operated tools sitting on a bench in the sun when the thermometer jumps high.
You know, now that you mention it I have had that happen as well. I did exactly that, left my drill out in the sun in July for a couple hours. Went you use it and it acted like it was dying so I put it on the charger. Came back 10 mins later and the charger was flashing the light for error.

So essentially, lithium batteries are efficient at 70*. Nice.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
They can't pass the cost on to consumers because consumers won't pay it. The price needed to make them profitable simply kills the demand. There was a fair amount of interest in the Lightning when it was supposed to launch at around $41k. Then they raised the prices on various models/trims some $20k each.

At least Ford has committed to keeping the V8 Mustang going.

GM's gone 'tarded. Again. I've no brand loyalty and have owned more GMs than anything else, but haven't bought one since my 2011 Camaro SS. LS3/6M, such a great combination.

I will say the new midsize ZR2 has some interesting off road tech. The cameras underneath and the ones that look at your wheels so you can spot yourself is pretty slick. But their cars and SUVs? Meh on white bread toast.

Have you checked out the new GM Duramax 3.0L diesel? Pretty nice setup.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
If I were to get a small diesel in a pickup right now it would be that one. The ONLY thing I don't like about it is the belt driven oil pump...

Yah - they know what they did.....they upped the warranty on it to try to give us the feels. I just can't understand why you make a nice engine and screw up one component.

Good thing Hemi Gen III didn't do that. *cough*

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
It looks good on paper lol

I test drove one last summer. It was smooth and unimpressive, I guess as a diesel should be these days. Very, very quiet. Then again, I can't hear anymore, but still - shocking to a guy that grew up with pre-HPCR fueling.

The mileage is outstanding, the I6 architecture is simple. The only thing that concerns me is the overly complicated mutliple cooling systems they put on the thing. It's a mess. The belt oil pump doesn't scare me so much - engines have perfected belt OHC's for years.

That, and the Chevy still rides like a dump truck from the 1980's. They've done nothing with improving the ride. Nothing. Didn't matter when we were 30, but 60+ it gets nasty.

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I thought U were on the US side, or did you sneak over the border?

View attachment 535845
No sir I canadian... Unfortunately sometimes haha.

I have not really done anything with the 48-11 but I have trx guys wanting me to build a switch and the t case is pretty much the same. Funny spend 160k Canadian on a trx and have a crappy t case with clutches and Dodge programming that doesn't handle the power. I know of 4 that need t cases.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No sir I canadian... Unfortunately sometimes haha.

I have not really done anything with the 48-11 but I have trx guys wanting me to build a switch and the t case is pretty much the same. Funny spend 160k Canadian on a trx and have a crappy t case with clutches and Dodge programming that doesn't handle the power. I know of 4 that need t cases.
OK, just a wondering. Not sure if I got the 48-11/12, has the Auto 4, but not matter.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You know, now that you mention it I have had that happen as well. I did exactly that, left my drill out in the sun in July for a couple hours. Went you use it and it acted like it was dying so I put it on the charger. Came back 10 mins later and the charger was flashing the light for error.

So essentially, lithium batteries are efficient at 70*. Nice.
YUP, when I am using a lot outside when real warm or let set out, I have to literally take them into house (that hot, U know AC on) and let them cool before they will accept charge. Sometimes, if I really work them, they will get hot from the battery reaction properties and have to cool a little also. It is not just the cold, LMAO.

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
YUP, when I am using a lot outside when real warm or let set out, I have to literally take them into house (that hot, U know AC on) and let them cool before they will accept charge. Sometimes, if I really work them, they will get hot from the battery reaction properties and have to cool a little also. It is not just the cold, LMAO.
So what your saying is these batteries are like philosophers? Good in but absolutely useless for practical life? :p

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what your saying is these batteries are like philosophers? Good in but absolutely useless for practical life? :p
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, never thought of a battery in a Freudian concept or Socrates for that matter, roflmao. FTR, not wife's mare, stock photo.

hoss laugh.JPG

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

Another piece of a sad future.

Been harping on this for awhile. The issues of EV vs ICE are a red herring from where the real fight is taking place. Connected cars, remote control of connected cars, and onboard AI control of cars. The propulsion system is irrelevant if your car can be disabled by a computer program that thinks you are drunk or sleepy or by a bank error. For some reason it's not as sexy a topic as EVs though and threads on it always die early on. The technology is already here and already cheap, legislation is catching on, and the risk of this being mandated in new vehicle sales our lifetimes is significant.

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Been harping on this for awhile. The issues of EV vs ICE are a red herring from where the real fight is taking place. Connected cars, remote control of connected cars, and onboard AI control of cars. The propulsion system is irrelevant if your car can be disabled by a computer program that thinks you are drunk or sleepy or by a bank error. For some reason it's not as sexy a topic as EVs though and threads on it always die early on. The technology is already here and already cheap, legislation is catching on, and the risk of this being mandated in new vehicle sales our lifetimes is significant.
I mean as the consumer I can just disable it. Or Atleast with my electronic knowledge I can or hardwire things to work.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nevermind the absolute control over us that EVs gives the powers that be.

Don't want people driving? Send a signal and your EV wont move.

Want to impose a curfew? Easy as sending a signal to the EV.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pretty sure it is law that all 2026 models have to have the breathalyzer to start the car - if not nationwide, at least some states. Part of Biden's Infrastructure and Jobs Act.

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Pretty sure it is law that all 2026 models have to have the breathalyzer to start the car - if not nationwide, at least some states. Part of Biden's Infrastructure and Jobs Act.
I thought it was we were all innocent until proven guilty? Not the other way around. Let's make drinking and sales of alcohol liiegal instead of forcing every auto manufacturer and vehicle owner to suffer for others poor decisions. Jeeeeeeeez

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

Not exactly. That's the simplified (and wrong) version floating around social media.

The law is funding a study at this point, there is no hard start date and no specific mandated technology. NHTSA has 3 years to research, test, and verify viability of different technologies. Once the study phase is done, whatever recommendations are made would go into effect in another 3 years, plus or minus.

So, there is no way 2026 models will have the tech, there is no clear idea what the tech will be, but the needle is moving in the direction of onboard computers monitoring you somehow for both intoxication and distraction/sleepiness and then doing *something* to stop you. That something is not yet decided either, but options include taking control from you, pulling you to the side of the road, and activating emergency flashers. Note many vehicles already have an IR camera watching you to make sure your eyes are on the road when you're using the inaptly named 'self driving' technology in the vehicle.

It's almost certainly *not* going to be a breathalyzer in the same style that convicted DUI offenders sometimes are mandated to get. That only disrupts the ignition and once the car is started, it's out of the equation. No, this technology is mandated to *constantly* monitor you. Then the computer, with no input other than it's programming, gets to decide if you keep driving or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.