Ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jblnts427_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone I have a question regarding some ticking noise I have. It’s been a couple months now I’ve had this ticking noise only when accelerating and it also gets faster the more I accelerate. I do not have this ticking noise at idle or when in park or neutral but once I put it in drive it’ll only start ticking when accelerating.The ticking isn’t crazy loud but it is pretty noticeable. I’m aware of the symptoms of cam and Lifter tick as well as the exhaust manifold tick but from what I’ve seen those are a bit different then what I’m experiencing . Any idea what it could be? Thanks in advance

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Have you tried to isolate the noise to a certain area ? Maybe try a dowel rod touching different areas of the engine to hear it louder . Add a sound clip to this , it might help us to get an idea.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’m aware of the symptoms of cam and Lifter tick as well as the exhaust manifold tick but from what I’ve seen those are a bit different then what I’m experiencing .

How so? Manifold tick is by far the most common, and cam should be on the radar as well so how were you able to eliminate them from your suspicion?

OP
OP
J

Jblnts427_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah honestly I do know they are pretty common and honestly I’m not sure , it could be that I was just thinking maybe it would be something else since usually when I see people mentioning their cam lifters problem I always see their ticking is different and usually ticks at idle and or have a CEL and I just had my doubts since I only ever hear mine when I accelerate so was kind of hoping it wasn’t that

OP
OP
J

Jblnts427_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you tried to isolate the noise to a certain area ? Maybe try a dowel rod touching different areas of the engine to hear it louder . Add a sound clip to this , it might help us to get an idea.
I have wanted to try but I wasn’t too sure how to go about it since there is really No ticking at all in park or neutral even if I raise the rpm’s. Although when I put it in drive and if I was to raise the rpm’s is only when i can hear it so I’m not too sure how I’d go about trying to find the noise in my case. Any suggestions ? Thanks I’ll also try to get a clip later while driving of the noise

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have wanted to try but I wasn’t too sure how to go about it since there is really No ticking at all in park or neutral even if I raise the rpm’s. Although when I put it in drive and if I was to raise the rpm’s is only when i can hear it so I’m not too sure how I’d go about trying to find the noise in my case. Any suggestions ? Thanks I’ll also try to get a clip later while driving of the noise

Sounds like the manifold to me. When mine first started leaking you could hear it a little at idle or even light rev but its not until you put in gear that it sees load and got noisy. Then as it got worse it got to where it was loud all the time. If you stick your head up in the wheel well you should be able to hear which side its coming from, and with mine I moved my hand around the manifold and I was able to feel exactly where the gasses were coming out.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Get yourself a mechanics stethascope if you don't have one. A piece of garden hose can be substituted,but a mechanics stethascope is a tool every home mechanic should have in their toolbox. A noisy injector can also make a ticking noise.