Transmission issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tried to do a search of the forum but its kind of difficult. Heres my problem, tranny shifts great until about ~45 mph, it drops into overdrive WAYYY to early and is reluctant to leave it. With the acceleration i give the truck i feel as if the tranny shouldnt shift until about 50-55 (sorry i wasnt really looking at RPM and if i was i dont remember). Then once i get to 65 it feels fine, until i hit a hill before i hit the hill i give it some extra gas of course and most i can float right over and not feel like im lugging. Other times long/steep hills ill start lugging(shaky) and ill put my foot in it more and more and more and more and well a lot more before it finally shifts. Any ideas what it could be? I'm leaning twoards one of the solenoids but also the TPS or the tranny cable, both my throttle cable and tranny cable have the same amount of deflection(by eye/feel) so im not considering that too much. Also the cruise control will NEVER EVER shift the transmission ive had situations where the cruise is at 65 get to a hill, now going 50 and i just slightly hit the throttle and it shifts right down. Temporarily until i get this diagnoses can i just hit the O/D off button to shift this beast down with out causing any damage?

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I suspect the tps as well the TV cable has no effect on your overdrive or tcc. Codes?

OP
OP
Arlucian

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I suspect the tps as well the TV cable has no effect on your overdrive or tcc. Codes?

If only, i cant get the key trick to work and being in a town of about 1000 There are no parts stores that will actually let me borrow a code reader. I will fumble around with the key trick tomorrow but im tired tonight ill post here tomorrow.

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Why doesn't it work? What does it do?

OP
OP
Arlucian

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why doesn't it work? What does it do?

It does nothing i was doing some reading and one of the things i found on google said put it in neutral with the parking brake on and then turn it 3 times landing on on. Currently it just does the normal light check but i was trying it in park.

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I've always done it in Park. That's wierd

OP
OP
Arlucian

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've always done it in Park. That's wierd

Just as a confirmation; Insert key, turn 1 click to the off position. on off on off on ive also tried it on off on off on off on no luck is there a fuse to check?

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
No fuse, should be - insert key, turn to the "run" position (all your lights should com on) then back to off 3 times then back to run
Key in, run, off, run, off, run, off, run

OP
OP
Arlucian

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright, followed your instructions. Still getting nothing, i know a lot of OBD systems are tied to the cigarette lighter or the horn. I checked the "power outlet" fuse under the hood and the Cigarette lighter one in the cab. They were both good but my top right socket still doesn't work do you think this could be related?

OP
OP
Arlucian

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did some digging and found this on another forum.

Try doing the "key dance" a little faster or slower. Make sure you go all the way to full on and off, and leave it in the on position.

Its been a really long time, but I think I recall a thread stating that some 98's did not have this feature, and I believe they narrowed it down via the VIN to those built at a specific plant. I can't recall all the details, been a long time.

Just my luck right?

Dee907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
turn key off and on 3 times within 5 seconds 3rd time leave it on should read mine always does

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Reads like it is shifting as per a 46re. OD @ 45 is the norm.

OP
OP
Arlucian

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Reads like it is shifting as per a 46re. OD @ 45 is the norm.

I was worried someone was going to say that.... What about fluctuations in RPM when coasting at highway speeds? That is one thing i forgot to mention.

OP
OP
Arlucian

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Broke down and got a scan tool for 50 bucks. Heres what im getting p0132 O2 sensor. 3 seperate misfire codes including the random misfire one, ( i think that was caused by the IAC before i replaced it) and a code for my IAC but i replaced that and havent cleared the codes since. I cleared the codes now and i suspect what will come back is the 02 sensor code. Doesnt sound like anything that would affect tranny shifting. What is the best way to adjust my TPS without a DVOM?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
You don't adjust the tps on these motors, just leave it be. IAC will not cause a miss, more like plenum gasket is done for. Do a hard reset on the pcm and then see what codes you get after say 20 min drive time.

Edit; Also comp test is in order start with jug #8

OP
OP
Arlucian

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You don't adjust the tps on these motors, just leave it be. IAC will not cause a miss, more like plenum gasket is done for. Do a hard reset on the pcm and then see what codes you get after say 20 min drive time.

Edit; Also comp test is in order start with jug #8

You dont think the IAC would cause a miss if it was wide open when trying to start in temps around 0? Also the plenum gasket i read your write up that DD posted, could i just replace the gasket? I mean my truck has 150k miles on it and the gasket is more than likely failed. I'm not expecting this truck (at least not the motor or tranny) to take me another 150k i guess im asking is it imperative to replace the lifters and the plate or can i get by with just the gasket?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
All the IAC is, is controlled vac leak to speed up or slow the motor down by adding or taking away air. No it will not cause a miss, surge yes miss no. You can do just the plenum gasket with the stock steel plate. Lifters are also your choice.

OP
OP
Arlucian

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All the IAC is, is controlled vac leak to speed up or slow the motor down by adding or taking away air. No it will not cause a miss, surge yes miss no. You can do just the plenum gasket with the stock steel plate. Lifters are also your choice.

53030541 Throttle Body Mounting Gasket
05017208AA Gasket, Intake Manifold Plenum Pan
P4876049 Intake Manifold Gasket Set $33.25
P4876772 Intake Manifold Attaching Bolts $7.75 set.
P5249862 Roller Lifters $117.50

Opt parts

P5007709 Timing chain tensioner part $30.00
P5249267 Double roller chain and sprocket set $58.00
Water pump
Cap
Rotor
Oil psi sending unit

Just a heads up this is what it looks like now and given what you told me this is what it should look like.
53030541 Throttle Body Mounting Gasket
05017208AA Gasket, Intake Manifold Plenum Pan
P4876049 Intake Manifold Gasket Set $33.25

Opt parts

P4876772 Intake Manifold Attaching Bolts $7.75 set. ( may or may not be necessary)
P5249862 Roller Lifters $117.50
P5007709 Timing chain tensioner part $30.00
P5249267 Double roller chain and sprocket set $58.00
Water pump
Cap
Rotor
Oil psi sending unit

Anyways thats where the confusion came from, thanks for the help man what about the fluctuating RPM when coasting on the highway is that the plenum gasket? Vac leak causing rpm fluctuations? My research showed a couple of posssibilities low tranny fluid(not likely maybe lack of pressure from clogged filter?) or torque converter problems. edit: just thought when im stopped with my foot on the brake in drive, its almost like i can feel every single time the engine fires going through the transmission and just lightly creating a surging feel through the truck.

Last edited:

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Intake manifold bolts must be replaced! They are not a TTY bolt but they are some weak ass bolts, for $8 cheap safety in my books better than breaking a bolt. Killing a set of intake gaskets and starting over right.

The only thing I might move is the lifters, but I still like to see them changed out. You posted you have no thoughts of your motor lasting to long so I cut it down for this reason.

Edit; Any of the Mopar part numbers I post that start with a P are Mopar performance parts. Things are changing all Mopar performance parts are subject to being NLA.

Last edited: