Weak start up in the morning.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemimania

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2015 Ram has a relatively new battery and has been fine starting well until last week. Only weak when started after off for several hrs. After small trips to store, it's fine. Any thoughts from the mechanics out there?

Tonino

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Check your charging system too. Also could be a parasitic load after shutdown that's drawing off the battery when the truck is off. Lots of electrical/electronic items on these trucks nowadays that could fail to shut off after you turn the truck off.

Definitely start with the battery test that chopperman1 mentioned. It's free and doesn't take much time (any reputable auto parts store will do the load test for free). Just because resting voltage is good (~12VDC) does not mean that all the cells are good too and that's what the load test will identify.

Not sure if you have battery voltage in your display (the 5th gens do, which is where you posted) but if it's over 13VDC then that is a good indication that your charging system is working. If it is still suspect you can have it tested.

After that it's time to troubleshoot or take it to a shop. If the above turn out good I'd take a current reading about an hour after the truck is off to give all the circuits time to shut down to go into standby. IMO if you are reading over 100 mA you have a too much of a draw which is draining your battery. I have read of people having issues with things not turning off (i.e. radio/screen) that kill the battery.

OP
OP
Hemimania

Hemimania

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The garage couldn't figure out the issue. Said everything was charging fine. So get a load of this. I went to Lancaster PA and added Lucas engine treatment and drove for 2hrs straight. Then added it again at the next gas full up a week later. Did it again at next fill up. Yesterday, it started fine and today too. Could i have had a clogged injector and the engine treatment fixed it? If that's the case, Lucas got a customer for life.

Tonino