Side exit exhaust / new muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Factory muffler was rusted out when I bought it so replaced it with a Speedway "high flow" a couple years ago, absolute garbage. Inlet and outlet welds both broke and I had to reweld them, now the baffles are rusted out and it sounds like I have a tin can in my exhaust. The rest of the pipe is pretty rusty as well so I was thinking about cutting everything off right behind the cats, putting in a new muffler and doing a side exit exhaust like below:

1715453429773.png

I would only do one pipe I think but I was wondering if anyone could think of any potential issues from this exit location. I don't thing the extra heat to the tire would be an issue since I see lots of race cars do it but still a thought.

Also could use suggestions on a muffler. Something reasonably priced but 1) still has good sound and 2) not a tin can POS like the Speedway one is.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Let see if @Nick@GotExhaust will chime in, he's a forum vendor and knows what works on these trucks!

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't think the heat would cause any problems. Some cars have their exhaust end right before the bumper then "tips" built into the plastic bumper that the exhaust itself goes through. Probably not explaining it right but it doesn't burn the plastic bumper.

This is what I want to do once I get around to it. Also take care of the crappy y pipe at the same time. I don't think anyone makes a kit for it. At least they didn't a few years ago when I looked for my 16 2500 for just the side exit.

wrench78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't know anything about this, but I got to say, I do like the look of the side exit though. I've always been a big fan of Magnaflow exhaust.

OP
OP
rzr6-4

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Also take care of the crappy y pipe at the same time.

That makes me think.....I was going to cut it after the Y so it would be a single all the way back, but I could cut out the Y eliminating that obstruction and run duals back. But then I need 2 mufflers. I will have to ponder that.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i run Pypes exhaust on my duster (of course, that has a bigger engine then the truck) but they sound awesome
bought them used and had them on the duster for years and they still look brand new

for the tips i just bought some stainless steel tips, i believe cut at 45 degrees, from ebay and welded those on

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You could get a two into one ,or two in two out muffler. There are lots of options out there nowadays. I prefer magnaflow, I have one on my truck ,it’s ten years old and is still solid . I like the sound and highly recommend.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No issues, there are plenty of trucks that run this aftermarket setup without issues. I ran a SW setup with long tubes headers and ran the truck hard and never had an issue. I have heard it all, more heat on the tire and brakes will make them wear or fail premature and so on. Never seen any real evidence of this.

What year truck, cab and bed length do you have? also what motor? I can see if anyone makes a quality bolt on side exit option for your application