2005, 5.7 Resolving what I think is an anti theft issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JEH7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When using the key to start the engine I can hear the starter relay clicking as well as feel that happen if I'm touching it so I think it is safe to say that the left pin that receives current from the 25 watt fuse is indeed receiving current.
When I bypass the starter relay, using the rear pin under the starter relay, the starter will crank. However, the truck doesn't start.
A few days back my 89 year old mother with dementia decided it was time to go home in the middle of the night and she went out to this truck. I awoke to the alarm going off, the headlights and horn. How she got this to go off is beyond me, the truck was unlocked, the key fob hasn't worked for years and not only that she didn't even have the fob. But none the less it was activated. I have however driven the truck a couple of times since until now.

I ran a scan using a Foxwell NT 624 Elite and it brought up the stuff listed below.
#1 PCM PO480 Low fan speed relay control
#2 TCM PO012 Battery was disconnected
#4 BCM P3B5D RKE program enable output short
#7 MIC/CCN F791E Vin previously stored, F791F Auto climate module (ACM) messages not received, F791 ignition run/start circuit rationality check.
#8 FCM F707A Fog lamp relay output circuit open, F707A Wiper park switch input performance
#11 F794C No communication with radio, F794c Channel 8 open
I did clear these codes but it didn't help start my truck any.

If I run a Control Modules Scan, select "Body" for the control module, then select #18 "VTS" or Vehicle Theft Security the scanner reads "No Communication. 1. Check scan tool connection. 2 Make sure the ignition is on. 3. Make sure the battery is charged and 4. Verify the vehicle is equipped with the system."

If anyone knows what I can do to get this on the road again I would be very appreciative!

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Congratulations on your joining the Dodge Ram Truck Community

I think you have a pretty nice scanner that has lots of functions and is pretty specific in application for your truck

How long actually has the truck been sitting ?

The first thing is battery voltage
what is it when using a voltage meter ?
Have you tried jumping the battery with another vehicle or battery ?

The second thing is fuel
how long has it been sitting in the fuel tank ?
Does the gas gauge work accurately?

Is it parked in a garage or outside ?
Is it accessible to mice or rodents ?

If it was your moms truck before she had dementia maybe she knows something you don’t about it or that you forgot and she’s unable to tell you because of the dementia.

My mother was so imbedded in the functions of her vehicles and from an early age could set points in an ignition system and start vehicles that no one else could because my grandfather taught her to drive at age 7 and he converted cars into trucks to haul moonshine .
Hope you or you mom suffers much from the dementia , it’s frustrating but it can be interesting in the things you talk about.

With my mom it was long term memory was huge and short term no so much.
Again welcome to the forum

OP
OP
J

JEH7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for your response!
I'm not sure why my mother goes to that truck in particular, I bought it used about 13 years ago. In the past she has that it was once her husbands and he is coming to pick her up but that has faded like so much does.
The battery tests at around 12.48% the gas is good, I do park it outdoors but I doubt it was messed with by rodents and I drive it almost everyday.
I had disconnected the battery yesterday but your mentioning that reminded before the vehicle started last time I had accidentally left the starter relay out. I'm not sure for how long it was out for but I now have pulled it again. Hopefully it works. If it does I'm going to leave it run for I don't know how long.
Neat story with your mom and grandpop! Amazing times, driving at 7 years of age and her dad hauling moonshine! Hopefully they never got caught! Probably in the 40's my grandfather kept a still in his basement. It was illegal for him to do so so whenever he made it, he would paint a room in the house to hide the smell. Fortunately it never blew.
I'll let you know how I make out.

OP
OP
J

JEH7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I went out and pulled both the Starter Relay and the A/C Relay about 2 hours ago now. I was swapping them before, got distracted, and left them both out for a spell. When I put them back in, the truck started. So I tried that again.
At first I just put in the Starter Relay and the truck wouldn't start. Then I put in the A/C Relay and it started right up. I'm not sure why they are both needed for the truck to start but they are. I have left it idling. I'll probably post again to let the forum know how this progresses. Likely, I'll turn it off in one hour and try to restart it immediately. If it does great, if not I'll pull the Relays. Reduce the time to an hour and hopefully it starts. I will continue repeating this with a shorter cycle until I don't have to. Thank you for your help!!!

OP
OP
J

JEH7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is not a security issue.
After driving for an hour and returning home I turned off my truck, tried re-starting it and it was completely dead. Dash, headlights ect. but the battery tested at 12.9 volts. I put di-electric grease on the terminals and on all the connections on the terminals. I'm not sure what is going on here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JEH7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In conclusion...I did clean up the terminals with some rosin paper and addressed any wiring that looked the least bit questionable as well as replace the TIPM. The truck started right up and ran well. Curious as to the problem, I took out the replacement TIPM and reinstalled the old one and it wouldn't start. Took it out, reinstalled the replacement and it started right up. It has been running fine now for about week. Amen to that! Thanks to everyone for their help!