2016 first sign of troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My Ram is about to hit 67,000 miles on it.

I noticed my 8.4 AN radio changes stations every couple of days. Then i can change it right back.
It changes from 103.? FM to a Spanish Station in the 96/97 FM range.
My Transmission also just shifts a bit different, when i first pull out of my driveway & once in a while, a few minutes later

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Ram is about to hit 67,000 miles on it.

I noticed my 8.4 AN radio changes stations every couple of days. Then i can change it right back.
It changes from 103.? FM to a Spanish Station in the 96/97 FM range.
My Transmission also just shifts a bit different, when i first pull out of my driveway & once in a while, a few minutes later

Sounds like a failing battery, and / or loose or corroded battery terminal connector.

OP
OP
GTyankee

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have the paperwork from the last time that i replaced the battery.
It is an Interstate, purchased from Costco, i think it is a H8

I have 2 Medical Appts. today.
There is an Autozone 3 blocks away & a O'Reilly's about 4 blocks away.
There is a Independant Battery shop, it is much older than all the current Auto Parts stores around here.
There is an Interstate All Battery Center store & a Batteries Plus store, all in less than 10 miles from me.

I just went to a Dr. office,
Checked my EVIC, at
Idle AMP meter reads flickering 13/14
14 when driving city streets

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I read next yr (or the yr after) they're going to have the new model Ridgeline out.

GTYakee....out of curiousity, have you done any service to your tk's transmission? (change fluid, etc). You know your stuff pretty well. But I'll just toss out some obvious things...

Almost sounds like you have two things going on at the same time. Kind of like when I was having a tooth ache, and then got covid! (last summer). I guess if it was my truck, I'd start with simple things: 1) Unhook & tie the battery cables together overnight for a somewhat 'hard' reset. It takes a while to drain other modules on the bus. (cable ends not touching the battery terminals of course). It's free to do, and 'might' possibly reset things. Who knows? Can't hurt. And while yer doing that, take the batt to get a load test...just for kicks.

2) After that I would probably slightly loosen the big tranny cable connector down at the tranny and just 'wiggle' the connector. Don't need to remove it...just wiggle a bit to ensure the connectors are contacting. And look for any engine codes to, which might be making the trans act wierd. Since a lot of issues come down to simple wiring/grounding and poor connections.... start with the easy things I guess.

This might be something the dealer service database has info on. What's the word on how well the 8-spd tranny's hold up behind a diesel?

Last edited:

danruder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I experienced this same problem around 70,000 miles on my 2013. In my case, it was the first sign of a failing battery.

OP
OP
GTyankee

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
at Idle,the amp gauge reads a flickering 13/14
it reads a constant 14 while on 30 mile an hour streets

By the way, when my engine is running, my regular Head Lights are always on

My Odometer has not reached 67,000 miles & i never used it for Towing

When i placed my Order, i had really thought that i would be towing a single axle trailer, mostly for my 3 Wheeler Harley Trike, as well as other motorcycles

Last edited: