Mounting GMRS MXT275

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keith1138

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I'm about to mount a Midland MXT275 radio. It is the style that has control box with a built in speaker. The controls are on the microphone. I'm struggling with where to mount it. I've seen it mounted underneath the driver seat. I'm concerned with my truck having vented and heated seats there not being enough room plus it being hard to hear. I'm leaning towards mounting it in the drawer below the radio and switches. This woukd require me to have the drawer open when im using it. In my cherokee I have it mounted on the roll cage between the front seat above the center console. The truck is a 2018 laramie 2500.

MXT275USB-CRadio_1720X1000_10c859e2-16ca-4ce7-a79a-faee7a889cc0_800x.jpg

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure how much you have under any of your seats, or center console/seat area, but I have mounted radios like that in those locations. Instead of "hard" mounting, I have the industrial grade "hook & loop fastener stuff. It works extremely well, and makes an install pretty easy. I have always used an external speaker with that style radio as well since the speakers in those mic's are pretty lame. The units I have installed have had external speaking jacks so it makes it easy to plug one in.

Good luck with the project.

zrock

Reaction score
Not sure how it can be hard to hear if you mount under the seat if the speaker is in the mic. All the reviews i looked at people had the unit mounted out of sight and had no issues. Like said above you could wire a external speaker to it if need be, back in the day of CB i used to wire the external speaker connection to my car stereo always worked great.
In my truck i have the center console and i have my unit mounted to the side of that. Works good and its not in the way, for now i have just tossed the mike in the map slot as i have not found a good mic holder i want to mount to the dash..

OP
OP
keith1138

keith1138

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Besides needing to vacuum my truck. I have gotten the radio installed. I was really surprised with how loud the speaker in the mic is especially when you have both speakers activated. I mounted the radio on the side of my little tray on my center console. With 3m double sided tape. I am able to have my music on fairly loud and still able to hear it. All the wires are routed under trim pannels.
20240518_135543.jpg

In the jeep I have my cb and gmrs running into external speakers mounted on the roll cage behind my front seats. I appreciate all of the replys.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FinestTitan70