OBDLink MX+ and ALFA OBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hi I have a question I just purchased the OBDLink MX+ i want to use the OBDlink on my computer windows based which program should i download the one for windows ? and do I need to download the OBDLink MX+ software to use this ? what i want it for is to add things and for code reading as well !
any help would be great thank you in advance

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Hi I have a question I just purchased the OBDLink MX+ i want to use the OBDlink on my computer windows based which program should i download the one for windows ? and do I need to download the OBDLink MX+ software to use this ? what i want it for is to add things and for code reading as well !
any help would be great thank you in advance
ooooops

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You will need the security bypass cable too, since yours is a gen5 truck. AlfaOBD works great with OBDLink MX+ on the windows 10 laptop I have. Yes, you do need to download AlfaOBD to make changes.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You will need the security bypass cable too, since yours is a gen5 truck. AlfaOBD works great with OBDLink MX+ on the windows 10 laptop I have. Yes, you do need to download AlfaOBD to make changes.
His profile says he has classic which isn't gen5.
@Jim BB you do need bypass module or cable as mentioned above. You don't need the MX+ software, but you should install it. If there are any updates, and/or you can make sure it's working.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
i want to use the OBDlink on my computer windows based which program should i download the one for windows ? and do I need to download the OBDLink MX+ software to use this ? what i want it for is to add things and for code reading as well
As mentioned above you'll need the Windows version of AlfaOBD to make changes along with the bypass cable for your truck.
You'll need the OBDLink software on your computer to update the firmware of the MX+ module but the OBDLink software is not needed to use AlfaOBD.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Jim BB you do need bypass module or cable as mentioned above. You don't need the MX+ software, but you should install it. If there are any updates, and/or you can make sure it's working.
My bad, thought the '19 was a gen 5, but didn't notice the "classic". Regardless, the '19 requires the bypass for it to work.

The OBDLink software, I do use on my Android phone to do general checks of status and do the firmware updates.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jim BB

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thank you every body that's great information !!!
I will put both on my computer then OBDLink for the updates and ALFA OBD for programing !
and yes i have a cable on the way from kaodtech ! once I have cable i will go to truck and set up programs

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Any Ram 1500 2018+ needs a bypass cable. He has a 2019, he needs a bypass cable, Classic model makes no difference..

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Question on the security bypass cable since the topic came up. I fired up AlfaOBD for the first time a couple weeks ago. Connected to my phone fine and I was able to see the vehicle, settings, etc. I went through the list and there were a couple settings I wanted to change. I don't know if they actually took effect though. Was I in some sort of read only mode and I need a bypass cable? Or if I got that far do I have full connection and just didnt notice the changes?

OP
OP
Jim BB

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Question on the security bypass cable since the topic came up. I fired up AlfaOBD for the first time a couple weeks ago. Connected to my phone fine and I was able to see the vehicle, settings, etc. I went through the list and there were a couple settings I wanted to change. I don't know if they actually took effect though. Was I in some sort of read only mode and I need a bypass cable? Or if I got that far do I have full connection and just didnt notice the changes?
you will need the cable most likely to do any changes and full version of AlfaOBD you can get the cable from https://www.kaodtech.com/copy-of-customer-support

OP
OP
Jim BB

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
one more question ! is Android based or windows based what one works better?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Without a Bypass cable you are read only. No changes will take effect.

To the OP, by all accounts the Android version works better. On any standard phone the screen is lots big enough and the APP is easy to work with on a phone. It also means your MX+ software and Alpha are on the same device.

The other big advantage to a phone is you always have it with you. I leave my security cable in stalled permanently, I just unplug it from the OBD port. I carry the OBD MX+ in the console. If i ever need to I can hook them up in 2 minutes and change something or read a code, without having to have a laptop with me.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Without a Bypass cable you are read only. No changes will take effect.

To the OP, by all accounts the Android version works better. On any standard phone the screen is lots big enough and the APP is easy to work with on a phone. It also means your MX+ software and Alpha are on the same device.

The other big advantage to a phone is you always have it with you. I leave my security cable in stalled permanently, I just unplug it from the OBD port. I carry the OBD MX+ in the console. If i ever need to I can hook them up in 2 minutes and change something or read a code, without having to have a laptop with me.
I agree with all you said except, "the Android version works better". I use both and the Windows version works as well as the Android version. Plus, Alfa has reported the Windows version with an OBDlink EX is much faster than the Android version. I purchased an EX but have not put it to the test yet.

Yes, as you described, the phone is much more convenient and my go-to device of choice.

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I agree with all you said except, "the Android version works better". I use both and the Windows version works as well as the Android version. Plus, Alfa has reported the Windows version with an OBDlink LX is much faster than the Android version. I purchased an LX but have not put it to the test yet.

Yes, as you described, the phone is much more convenient and my go-to device of choice.
You do it for a living, I am just an amateur, so happy to learn from your experience. I have the Android version, never tried the Windows, just going off what I read during my research prior to buying AlphaOBD. Good to know the Windows version works so well.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally prefer the android version, as, like others have said, it's always with me, so I can dig around in it periodically, check for codes, read status...

I went for the MX+ just to have the most compatibilty.

I also have Torque paid, and the OBDLink app itself to read codes, but I prefer to try and use Alfa as the "Single Source of Truth" for all of my truck work. Torque is just for the nice graphics, which I think has more flexibility than the OBD app's "knock off".

I leave the bypass installed 100%, but I also leave the dongle installed because I'm lazy.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
You do it for a living, I am just an amateur, so happy to learn from your experience. I have the Android version, never tried the Windows, just going off what I read during my research prior to buying AlphaOBD. Good to know the Windows version works so well.
I don't do it for a living, I am just an amateur like you.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
one more question ! is Android based or windows based what one works better?
I like the windows based better. This is just a personal preference, since my laptop is a lot faster, is a touch screen, bigger screen and I can open the configuration log at the same time and do searches in the PDF.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've used both. Function wise, they are the same. Windows version is faster, that is because I'm using it on a Surface.
MX+ software also works on Windows devices. I also have HP Tuner software on it.

If you don't have android phone, then notebook is good option.