Votes: 404 14.5%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 161 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 1,000 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 664 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I wonder how many days it would take a 3500 watt generator to charge an almost dead EV battery.....
Tesla level 3 super chargers are 480 volts, basically 4 110's worth of power, so not that much more electricity in the scheme of things. My concern and I do not have the answer, is if you can actually plug a 480 volt connector to a Genny and have it deliver it to a Tesla connector. It would make sense to have something like this, which is why I think it doesn't exist, because the mother lovers running isht make no sense anymore.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
That's what I've always thought it was. But I want it gone lol, it was gone all winter so something somewhere is having an effect.
Even though you were running the 5w-20 in the winter.......cold weather will thicken oil & create a cushion between piston/rings & cylinder walls on cold starts.......only explanation I can come up with unless your hearing was affected in some way last winter.........LoL

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Even though you were running the 5w-20 in the winter.......cold weather will thicken oil & create a cushion between piston/rings & cylinder walls on cold starts.......only explanation I can come up with unless your hearing was affected in some way last winter.........LoL

The plan is to change one variable at a time, I'm going to swap in a mopar filter in a week or two as soon as my extra quart of oil arrives in the mail, and if that doesn't work I'm going to try the PCMO again.

Could be my hearing, but I doubt it. I've been chasing this sound for years and I didn't expect it to go away last winter because it was the cheapest oil from HPL, group 3 yada yada. I threw it in because my mechanic wanted me to run a test of 5w-20 because I also hear pinging under hard acceleration and he wanted to rule out the viscosity and use "factory spec" oil. Figured I'd run a cheap 5w-20 and let him hear it still pinging, which it does, but completely out of the blue I realized one day I wasn't hearing that knock anymore so I ended up running it all winter.

I'm not complaining if the cheapest oil works, will save me some pennies. Just waiting to hear back from blackstone to see how it did vs the other more premium oils I used in the past.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wonder how many days it would take a 3500 watt generator to charge an almost dead EV battery.....

In Australia we use 230/240V single phase not 110/120V. A 3500W alternator is about 14A at 240Vac single phase assuming the Tesla charger is unity power factor. If it's maybe 0.85 power factor its going to be about 12A or thereabouts. Here they charge at 10A only, and it takes 24hrs to charge a model Y from 0-100%, 32hrs for the performance version. See below. At 110Vac, 3500W is about 30A but the power is the same so I imagine its going to be a similar timeframe.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Piston slap......no problem.....no cure.....unless you rebuild with different pistons
my engine had an intermittent sound like that just yesterday. Couldn't be the dreaded tick since I've been running Redline 5w30 for the last 2 oil changes and a large Mopar filter.
My first thought is that I have the header bolt tick again. I'm thinking of getting a set aftermarket headers to resolve that.
1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_mwEETzEW0

2. For Dodge Ram 1500 2009-2018 5.7L HEMI Shorty Stainless Performance Headers

3. 91950FLT Flowtech Set

4. BBK 4014 1-3/4" Shorty Exhaust Headers

If anyone has experience with either of these options, I'd like to know. Problem is, considering where I am located on the globe, I have to buy stuff online and have them shipped so I need more info to make a proper decision.

KYPOTLICKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tesla level 3 super chargers are 480 volts, basically 4 110's worth of power, so not that much more electricity in the scheme of things. My concern and I do not have the answer, is if you can actually plug a 480 volt connector to a Genny and have it deliver it to a Tesla connector. It would make sense to have something like this, which is why I think it doesn't exist, because the mother lovers running isht make no sense anymore.
HYDROGEN, this electric fad will be over soon. HYDROGEN is going to be the alternative fuel of the future.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
HYDROGEN, this electric fad will be over soon. HYDROGEN is going to be the alternative fuel of the future.

Unfortunately I don't think it will take off. The cat is out of the bag when it comes to electric and China can flood any market with $10,000 EV's if they're allowed to. That's why BYD is now getting into shipping as well. They are going to explode in sales in just a few years and that's why Biden is talking about tarrifs around 100% on Chinese EV's.

Now with an established but small supercharger network already built, financially EV's are going to make more and more sense even if we ignore the whole green thing. They'll never work for everybody (trucks) for a good long while, but many will sacrifice a little to save $20k to $30k.

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
I saw a clip from Beijing International Automotive Exhibition 2024 that stated there were 287 new EV models there :O

About exhaust manifold I say keep it original for ease of use. I needed to use exhaust paste to get it sealed completely to the rest of the exhaust and it started to leak now ~5years later... I bought the JBA-1961S-2JS but added original style gasket FEL-MS97083. If I would do it over I would have straitened the original manifold and just bought new bolts!

And about stuff over here in Europe, we even need to inspect trailers every other year here, not just cars :(

1716120872298.png

Last edited:

KYPOTLICKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately I don't think it will take off. The cat is out of the bag when it comes to electric and China can flood any market with $10,000 EV's if they're allowed to. That's why BYD is now getting into shipping as well. They are going to explode in sales in just a few years and that's why Biden is talking about tarrifs around 100% on Chinese EV's.

Now with an established but small supercharger network already built, financially EV's are going to make more and more sense even if we ignore the whole green thing. They'll never work for everybody (trucks) for a good long while, but many will sacrifice a little to save $20k to $30k.
Time will tell. Hydrogen seems to be coming on strong, especially in the heavy truck market. You are right, there will be different solutions for different needs, "green" energy is not going anywhere. I am involved with several automotive manufacturers, lots of pressure on transportation partners to lower emissions.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
literally the least environmental choice right there based on how much electricity it takes to produce. Furthermore, due to current and expanding demand for electricity, even if you wanted to do some captain save a ho ocean tide to electric project, there will be better use of that electricity produced. There is only one reasonable way forward because one thing for sure the petroleum dance will stop at some point, and the answer is to grow your own fuel. The rare metals needed for solar production and storage of electricity also has a half life similar to petroleum reserves. We are already running out, who knows what will run out first these metals or ground oil? The future is corn fields my friend, or oil plants better known as Jatropha Curcas, as in grow your own diesel. There is no answer, even nuclear fuel is running out, yup it's true. 100 years from now, a blip in human history, every homestead will be figuring out how to grow their own gas or diesel. Anyone think otherwise, you have been listening way to much to merle haggard.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
timeless or what... His stuff is more powerful and relevant then anyone could imagine? Too bad they don't have merle haggard study classes in colleges these days. next generation wont even know his name except in small circles..

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I saw a clip from Beijing International Automotive Exhibition 2024 that stated there were 287 new EV models there :O

About exhaust manifold I say keep it original for ease of use. I needed to use exhaust paste to get it sealed completely to the rest of the exhaust and it started to leak now ~5years later... I bought the JBA-1961S-2JS but added original style gasket FEL-MS97083. If I would do it over I would have straitened the original manifold and just bought new bolts!

And about stuff over here in Europe, we even need to inspect trailers every other year here, not just cars :(

View attachment 543173
kinda interesting, even in heavy regulated CA you register trailers every 5 years with no inspection. I think it was 5 years ago a poor fella towing his trailer with his wife starting an epic fire, he was so devastated but of course it was an accident, an accident that killed many people and billions in damage over 200k acres burned. The cause, old tires and poor maintenance on his travel trailer dual axle. His tire blew he didn't even know it and the sparks kept starting new fires for miles. So I hate regulation because they never make common sense in practice, but if you ask me a little trailer inspection is a good idea. People just cant be trusted to do their own inspections sorry to say. But how it would look and cost I bet it can done properly if someone other then gov't was the driver. Maybe insurance companies should be the basis of it? I really don't know but trailers towed behind well meaning un trained drivers cause many accidents and deviating fires. Carr fire was the name of that fire.

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
kinda interesting, even in heavy regulated CA you register trailers every 5 years with no inspection. I think it was 5 years ago a poor fella towing his trailer with his wife starting an epic fire, he was so devastated but of course it was an accident, an accident that killed many people and billions in damage over 200k acres burned. The cause, old tires and poor maintenance on his travel trailer dual axle. His tire blew he didn't even know it and the sparks kept starting new fires for miles. So I hate regulation because they never make common sense in practice, but if you ask me a little trailer inspection is a good idea. People just cant be trusted to do their own inspections sorry to say. But how it would look and cost I bet it can done properly if someone other then gov't was the driver. Maybe insurance companies should be the basis of it? I really don't know but trailers towed behind well meaning un trained drivers cause many accidents and deviating fires. Carr fire was the name of that fire.
$52 for an inspection that includes brake checks on every axle one at the time

Brake values in "1000 Newtons" 2kN = ~450 pound-force

Edit: on the continent they have 100kmh / 62mph speed limit on trailers if you have shocks and max five year old tires and a 100km/h sticker in the back. we have just 80kmh / 50MPH max speed...

1716136521899.png

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Boys if you get a chance later today fs1 I believe, nascar allstar race. North Wilkesboro in blue ridge mountains a forgotten track when last year they had the same race on old pavement was such a great race they paved it and brought this old track back to life, good throwback day.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't live all that far from the N. Wilkesboro track. My son called me wanting me to go there with him today. I had to turn him down. I'm still boycotting NASCAR after being a fan for 45+ years.