Trailer running lights not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tich

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I checked the 4 pin connector on truck and no powder to running light wire. I checked the 2 fuses on battery terminal and all fuses in fuse box under hood. Stilll not working any chance I am missing something

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Well, this is in the 4th Gen forum, so I'm assuming the 2021 in your profile is a Classic? If not, the list below may not be correct.

Was the fuse check a visual check or an electrical check with a meter? If it was visual, you'll want to do an electrical check, they can blow and it not be visible.

Also, there are more than 2 fuses involved with the trailer connector, I'd check them all (see below)

Is there power to the equivalent pin on the 7 wire connector? If so, the problem is most likely in the short wires on the back of the connector that link the two. If not, I would start at the connector in the bumper and work your way back up the harness looking for loose connectors or damage.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

-K

F11 - 30 Amp Pink - Integrated Trailer Brake Module
F28 - 20 Amp Yellow - Trailer Tow Backup Lights
F29 - 20 Amp Yellow - Trailer Tow Parking Lights
F30 - 30 Amp Pink - Trailer Tow Receptacle
F53 - 20 Amp Yellow - Trailer Tow – Left Turn/Stop Lights
F81 - 20 Amp Yellow - Trailer Tow Right Turn/Stop Lights
F87 - 10 Amp Red - Air Suspension-If Equipped / Trailer Tow / Steering Column Control Module

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If your truck is a 5th Gen, here's the equivalent list of fuses:

Under Hood fuse box
F08 - 20 Amp Blue – Trailer Tow Backup
F09 – 20 Amp Yellow - Trailer Stop / Turn Lamp Left
F10 – 20 Amp Yellow - Trailer Stop / Turn Lamp Right
F12 - 20 Amp Blue – Trailer Tow Park Lamp

In Cab Fuse box (under driver side dash)
F01 - 30 Amp Pink – Trailer Tow Receptacle
F25 - 40 Amp Green – Mod Integrated Trailer Brake
F42 – 10 Amp Red - Module TPM Trailer / Module Gateway Can-C Trailer TPM
F53 – 10 Amp Red - Trailer Reverse Steering Control / Trailer Steering Control Knob
F62 – 10 Amp Red - Gateway Can-C Trailer TPM Mod

-K

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
did they ever work? warranty that thing?

MrTickle608

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any luck on this ? Just got my truck back from the bodyshop and now I have no power at all to my 7+4 pins all fuses are good, swap checked with other's.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Any luck on this ? Just got my truck back from the bodyshop and now I have no power at all to my 7+4 pins all fuses are good, swap checked with other's.
Check plug behind the bumper, in the back of the 4/7 pin plug.

BudsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I know that this thread is over a year old but after going through numerous threads and Google and YouTube searches, I have replaced all of the fuses( none were blown) chased wires on my ram and the trailer with no luck. The brake, turn signals lights work fine just no running lights. And based on what I have read here on RamForum it's looking like I will be replacing the vehicle side connector... I've done everything else....

Please advise

Athlium

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
I know that this thread is over a year old but after going through numerous threads and Google and YouTube searches, I have replaced all of the fuses( none were blown) chased wires on my ram and the trailer with no luck. The brake, turn signals lights work fine just no running lights. And based on what I have read here on RamForum it's looking like I will be replacing the vehicle side connector... I've done everything else....

Please advise
Trailer running lights wont turn on when the light dial is on Auto.. I set it to manual on as to activate my trailer camera which is tapped to rear top light.

BudsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Athlium,
I appreciate your reply. I don't use the auto light option....
I've turned the lights of my truck on with and without starting it . I even grounded the trailer wire harness to the trailer frame...after chasing wires I realized that it wasn't.

I'm at a loss

BudsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
All of the trailer lights work when I hooked up the trailer to my neighbors Avalanche

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I remember being confuzzled several times in the past when could not get trailer lights to work .
The very first thing I do is to clean the ball of the hitch from any corrosion with rough sandpaper and do the same thing for inside the trailer hitch.
Most likely not your issue but wont hurt anything to try and if it is not the issue now probably will be in the future.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I remember being confuzzled several times in the past when could not get trailer lights to work .
The very first thing I do is to clean the ball of the hitch from any corrosion with rough sandpaper and do the same thing for inside the trailer hitch.
Most likely not your issue but wont hurt anything to try and if it is not the issue now probably will be in the future.
PS: The white wire should be making the ground from truck frame to trailer frame, not the trailer ball. If grounding is going thru the trailer ball, there are some serious wiring issues that need to be repaired.

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
PS: The white wire should be making the ground from truck frame to trailer frame, not the trailer ball. If grounding is going thru the trailer ball, there are some serious wiring issues that need to be repaired.
True ideally, however I grew up on a Farm in the 60's and we often Jury rigged things just to get it to work right then.
In the day when WD-40 and Gray tape were used a lot.
If it moved and was not supposed use the Gray Tape and if it was supposed to move and didn't use the WD-40 !

jsimonton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Trailer running lights wont turn on when the light dial is on Auto.. I set it to manual on as to activate my trailer camera which is tapped to rear top light.
Athilium - that's exactly my issue! I used my OBD programmer to enable DRLs on my '15 RAM 2500 figuring that would power up the running light circuit at the 7-pin connector - no joy. But at least I have DRLs now.

Has anyone had success making adaptations to enable the running lights on "automatic" mode?

TN Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For your trailer running lights
I had this problem with my 2002 Ram 1500 (Gen III)
not the same but certainly worth looking at
Follow the wires back from the bumper
on mine there was a factory connector about 8-10 inches from the back of the plug
I had to disconnect it and clean it
I put dielectric grease in the connector
This fixed my problem with the trailer running lights

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you turn these on?
1713861113685.png

Also, make sure this is correct: Connector E Pin 24: Trailer Tail Lamp Relay Control Output Present: Yes